Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Barber

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would have thought if in business you get things wrong, you are hardly likely to advertise the fact. That would be very poor business sense. I did not hear Barber state that fact or anyone from the club, therefore its rumour that has not fact at the moment is it. Or can you prove that. The next round if a home tie will give people the answer and if the price is different that will point to the fact if they thought they overpriced if they drop the price. I very much doubt they will drop the price for a premiership or championship club.

Another point I would be disappointed in a club if they did not hope for a sell out. Does not mean the pricing was wrong though, other factors could have come into play. They also have to have a base price that they can not drop below, remember they do not get all the gate money

Are you calling me a liar?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The defenders of the pricing and 5,000 empty seats have unsubtly altered their stance.

All last week it was getting an erection about the club booking portal showing only a few seats remaining = a likely 27,000 sell out.

Now that's conveniently forgotten, and we only going to get 21,000 anyway due to tv, and that's what the Board budgeted on.

Nice try, but spotted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do not remember speaking to you, did I say anything to you? Read my post again, I was referring to the club not you. Unless you are the clubs spokesperson

Oh dear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Are you calling me a liar?

My point being, companies are made up of different people, not all sing from the same song sheet. I expect within Brighton football club Barber has people who maybe do not like him or what he is doing with the club. Some may at times want to undermine him, who knows. If he got it totally wrong then the test will come at the next cup match home game. If we get a premiership club or championship club, then if the club think they got it wrong. Then the price will drop

. What are we looking at here, a lifetime ban?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Deserves a thread of its own :thumbsup:

Not necessarily, that's the point I was trying to make. What if to shift them extra 6,000 seats they had to decrease all ticket prices by £10? At a lower price they'd be making £25*26,000 = £650k where as higher price, selling less, £35*21,000=£735,000. So they've increased revenue by selling less.

But you have conveniently dropped the price by a big enough margin to make a loss with extra sales. If you drop the price by £5 and the ground sells out you make more money, therefore making far more revenue. And has already been pointed out the club priced the game where they thought it would sell out and it didnt by a long way ao your theory is fantasy and ridiculously weak.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Call me naive, but i tend to believe Bozza's anecdote after speaking to club staff.

I don't expect professional Barber to issue a press release stating he budgeted for 27,000' but fell 5,000 short. Pointless.

With the tv money, 27,000 say a capped £24 whatever the seat, would shirley have generated a handsome profit too, and at the same time brought in more future fans.

Exactly where is your economic evidence that at £24 all of the extra 6k would have sold. You have none, it just suits your argument. It could be at that price they might have sold an additional 3k. It could be at £20 they might not have sold out. We don't know.

But you have conveniently dropped the price by a big enough margin to make a loss with extra sales. If you drop the price by £5 and the ground sells out you make more money, therefore making far more revenue. And has already been pointed out the club priced the game where they thought it would sell out and it didnt by a long way ao your theory is fantasy and ridiculously weak.

You're quoting this as a fact; considering who posted it, I am more circumspect.

Dec 29, 2011
With the tv money, 27,000 say a capped £24 whatever the seat, would shirley have generated a handsome profit too, and at the same time brought in more future fans.

I would argue if the price dropped the same amount of 'JCLs' would have attended and the price drop would most have been taken up by STHs that didn't attent yesterday. The people willing to fork out high prices are the ones that rarely go to a Brighton match and want to make a day-out of it to watch Premier League opposition. People who aren't willing to fork out are the ones who go every week and don't care who the opposition is.

Yes but that's the point I was making, no-one on this board knows the price elasticity of demand for the tickets. What's to say that a £1 drop wouldn't have dropped demand by 90%? It's unlikely, yes, but we have no stats to prove it wrong. Likewise, what's to say that £35 average price of a ticket isn't the profit maximising price? People are seeing 6,000 free seats and immediately flipping out at Barber because they think a huge mistake has been made, but aren't actually realising more tickets sold (at a lower price) doesn't equal more revenue.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

But the argument has been that a discount should have been given please tell me what should have been given to get the full crowd. Those moaning keep saying £35 £40 is too much but there were tickets for £28 and they didn't sell. Added to which remember Newcastle have to agree to any reduction.

The club took the view, as Bozza has said that having tickets at there normal price as per game they would of hoped for a full ground. If only 15000 turned up it would have been a failure but considering all factors, tv and alike, we still surpassed all but a few in the country.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Good atmosphere in the ground, apart from the Newcastle fan next to me in ESU who unsurprisingly contributed sod all

When you say contributed sod all to the atmosphere, what did you expect him to do as an away supporter in the home end?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the tickets were cheaper it would have sold out. So thanks Barber for 6000 empty seats.

You quite right if he offered them for £2 I'm sure we could have got a full ground. What a stupid argument. Its a business and its about maximising revenue not just bums on seats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would argue if the price dropped the same amount of 'JCLs' would have attended and the price drop would most have been taken up by STHs that didn't attent yesterday. The people willing to fork out high prices are the ones that rarely go to a Brighton match and want to make a day-out of it to watch Premier League opposition. People who aren't willing to fork out are the ones who go every week and don't care who the opposition is.

Yes but that's the point I was making, no-one on this board knows the price elasticity of demand for the tickets. What's to say that a £1 drop wouldn't have dropped demand by 90%? It's unlikely, yes, but we have no stats to prove it wrong. Likewise, what's to say that £35 average price of a ticket isn't the profit maximising price? People are seeing 6,000 free seats and immediately flipping out at Barber because they think a huge mistake has been made, but aren't actually realising more tickets sold (at a lower price) doesn't equal more revenue.

Most of us understand this but you are only looking at pure ticket revenue. Factor in food and drink sales, club merch, more exposure and general future goodwill engendered by accessability and maybe smart targeting of new supporter groups and you could be looking at a very different beast. I personally do not know the elasticity of ticket demand but whatever way I look at 5000-6000 empty seats I cannot escape the idea that the ground is under utilised and it is a waste of an asset.

Dec 29, 2011
Most of us understand this but you are only looking at pure ticket revenue. Factor in food and drink sales, club merch, more exposure and general future goodwill engendered by accessability and maybe smart targeting of new supporter groups and you could be looking at a very different beast. I personally do not know the elasticity of ticket demand but whatever way I look at 5000-6000 empty seats I cannot escape the idea that the ground is under utilised and it is a waste of an asset.

I wonder what the average spend per fan is at the ground. It's probably a figure the board knows and not the fans, but if it was £5/head that's only £25,000 extra revenue. I wonder what the average spend is, I know a lot of people that have never bought anything, and some people buy 7 pints and a pie!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here