Well done Barber

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
It was a great game for Brighton fans shame more didn't go to the stadium to experience it. Probably felt that it wasn't worth the cost of the ticket with all things considering. I feel TB will feel the same. Oh well maybe it's a lesson to be learned.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never mind the gate- which was pretty good, I think.

Did anybody else at the game notice today how few moaning bastards were at the stadium?

Haha. Funny you should say that. Most of the seats around me were empty - all of the 'expert' regulars missing. First game all season where I haven't been surrounded by constant moaning!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Actually I thought the atmosphere from watching on the tele was superb: I loved the north versus west stand in 2nd half, bloody deafening and west just shaded it which coming from a north stander I hate to admit! Probably only because west stand only sing when we're winning against higher opposition mind.... ;)

Loads of songs came across load and proud on the box, good stuff all!

I agree, I thought it sounded excellent on TV and was surprised when I heard there were 'only' 21,000 there.

I finally made it to the Amex last week for the first time and although I loved the stadium thought the atmosphere was a bit flat (but then I was in the WSL and it was the watford game) so was pleased to hear how good it sounded on tv yesterday.

edit: it's a shame it wasn't sold out though. Not sure if that is a reflection of it being an extra game or the price/on tv situation

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The only thing that perhaps they should change on pricing (if this isn't the case already) is to allow all STHs a preferential period to purchase a seat anywhere in the ground before they go on general sale - rather than just their own seat. That way, those in the more expensive seats can't complain as they can move to a cheaper section without running the risk of losing out on a ticket.

Maybe it works that way already, not sure. I just stumped up to keep my own seat.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Last season v Non League Wrexham we filled 84% of the ground. Today against top league opposition we filled 77%.

New stadium effect last season, lots of people wanting to go to a game to see what the place is like who may well have never been to the Amex before, plus the ground has been extended since so there are more to sell this time round.

This seasons cup game was on a tv channel which was far more easily accessible (how many have ESPN at home?) so it was always going to reduce the number of fans attending the game so its not just a case of comparing attendance % stats.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Last season v Non League Wrexham we filled 84% of the ground. Today against top league opposition we filled 77%.

And the takings from those games were? Off the top of my obviously retarded head would suggest that the 84% of a smaller capacity at lower prices would fall well below that of a 77% of an increased capacity full paying attendance. Please tell me I'm wrong.

21558 last year against Newcastle, 21740 this so a slight increase in actual attendance despite being lower in terms of a % of capacity. (However we may well have got more in because i think we had sold out close to the match day last year).

The Wrexham game last season had 18573 so over 3000 less

The trouble is that its impossible to guess how many would have gone if tickets prices were lower, and what prices would have given us the most income (eg. £5 off or 5%, or whatever)

I think all things considered, we had a very good attendance figure for this years match.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Jesus. I feel like Theo in Dragon's Den just before he says "I'm out".

Takings are turnover. Tell me how we've made a profit by selling 4-5000 LESS tickets thsn normal? We have TV money but then we also have to split the gate money....

Less than normal compared to what though? like for like - 3rd round FA Cup games on TV? FA Cup games on TV against Newcastle at the Amex (both figures where actually higher for this season than last for actual attendances)

Or do you think we would have made the same amount of money as a league game despite, as you say, our having to split the gate receipts? (meaning we would probably have had to have sold even more than the ground currently holds at an even higher price than was charged to make up what what we lose with Newcastle's cut)

We could easily have had a crap away draw against a small team with very limited capacity and lost and not had a great deal of income from that match and lost so having had this home cup match is surely extra income above what they would have probably planned for pre-season for the club

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well done Barber,

turning a game that would have EASILY been a sell out into a game that barely scraped over 20,000. Not impressive considering it was a 'glamour' home tie. THOUSANDS of season ticket holders felt they had been priced out and voted with their feet. Good on them.

Would it have sold out at the prices charged if it wasn't on TV ? - more than likely imo. Being on a free to view terrestrial channel was always going to affect the attendance. (why pay / spend time travelling etc when it can be seen at home for free?)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would be interesting to know if people think we should be reducing our prices to non STH's for league matches this season when they are on TV?

Or if they think they should be cheaper if we make the top flight and are on TV for non STH, meaning they would pay about the same as a STH for those matches?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Whether or not the Club got the pricing right, 3 things stand out from yesterday: 1 the team played very well. 2 the atmosphere was great and the noise level went up a notch in the 2nd half. 3 it was noticable that at the end the home crowd was still there to applaud the team off, perhaps some of the missing s/ts should stay away abit longer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stop being a bore. As you obviously KNOW that the club made a loss today, please share your FACTS.

It's a fact that we made a loss last season with similar sized gates. It's a fact that this season we have more match day overheads because we have more seats and therefore more staff. It's a fact we have a bigger playing staff. It is an assumption - and only that - that the club would have budgeted the game day for a sell out crowd. I csn't prove they did but to not do so would be mental.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Evidence they got it massively wrong

If we get a premiership or championship club at home in the next round and they will charge the same price, so you will have to make the same choice again, however I feel that a lot more would turn up

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
What evidence ? They charged £4 more across the board for tickets then last year and got more people in 21,740, that would mean a profit. They will charge exactly the same price if we get a home tie against a premiership or championship club in the next round. The difference being more people will turn up. So the only people that got it wrong is the ones who did not turn up yesterday, because they felt the club was charging to much. Not having a go at anyone who could not afford it or who just wanted to watch it on TV. I do not believe what ever the price we would have sold this one out.

You therefore have more knowledge of how to run a football club than Bloom and Barber.

Bozza's post yesterday revealed that the club set the pricing to achieve a 27,000 sell out.

With this being massively misjudged,
Your hindsight management is looking rather astute.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would struggle to conjure up four less attractive fixtures if I tried. And 100 miles is now a local derby?
Of course 100 miles isn't a local derby, but neither is it setting off at 1am :ohmy:.

But there is a couple of 'little' teams going to nice grounds, and potential home upsets, magic of the cup, jumpers for goal posts, and all that jazz.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You therefore have more knowledge of how to run a football club than Bloom and Barber.

Bozza's post yesterday revealed that the club set the pricing to achieve a 27,000 sell out.

With this being massively misjudged,
Your hindsight management is looking rather astute.

I would have thought if in business you get things wrong, you are hardly likely to advertise the fact. That would be very poor business sense. I did not hear Barber state that fact or anyone from the club, therefore its rumour that has not fact at the moment is it. Or can you prove that. The next round if a home tie will give people the answer and if the price is different that will point to the fact if they thought they overpriced if they drop the price. I very much doubt they will drop the price for a premiership or championship club.

Another point I would be disappointed in a club if they did not hope for a sell out. Does not mean the pricing was wrong though, other factors could have come into play. They also have to have a base price that they can not drop below, remember they do not get all the gate money

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I would have thought if in business you get things wrong, you are hardly likely to advertise the fact. That would be very poor business sense. I did not hear Barber state that fact or anyone from the club, therefore its rumour that has not fact at the moment is it. Or can you prove that. The next round if a home tie will give people the answer and if the price is different that will point to the fact if they thought they overpriced if they drop the price. I very much doubt they will drop the price for a premiership or championship club.

Another point I would be disappointed in a club if they did not hope for a sell out. Does not mean the pricing was wrong though, other factors could have come into play. They also have to have a base price that they can not drop below, remember they do not get all the gate money

Call me naive, but i tend to believe Bozza's anecdote after speaking to club staff.

I don't expect professional Barber to issue a press release stating he budgeted for 27,000' but fell 5,000 short. Pointless.

With the tv money, 27,000 say a capped £24 whatever the seat, would shirley have generated a handsome profit too, and at the same time brought in more future fans.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Call me naive, but i tend to believe Bozza's anecdote after speaking to club staff.

I don't expect professional Barber to issue a press release stating he budgeted for 27,000' but fell 5,000 short. Pointless.

With the tv money, 27,000 say a capped £24 whatever the seat, would shirley have generated a handsome profit too, and at the same time brought in more future fans.

They would have made a loss at £24, some people forget that they share the gate with Newcastle and they have a say it what the price is. The cost of a ticket is the same that non STHs pay every week. Prices are set with profit and loss in mind. How is setting the gate at £24 going to bring new fans, as STHs will take up the vast majority of the tickets. Any new fan pays what was being asked of you week in week out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports