Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Firstl, taxing people properly would solve our poverty problem (if the money went to the right people), instead we now have Unicef stepping in to feed U.K. children.
While MP’s enjoy subsidised three course meals every day. Animal Farm, anyone?

Secondly, someone’s background is largely irrelevant. If you become vulnerable due to poverty, substance abuse, mental health etc then you are vulnerable.

It’s a matter of opinion if we have a duty of care. So it’s not an argument worth having.

Mogg on Unicef, just as you would expect...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ing-food-parcels-to-london-children-kx580j5wl

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
LIFT THE BAN: TEEM’S STORY

As tough as things have been for all of us over the last months, people seeking asylum are having an especially rough time.

I went through the asylum process myself, and know the pain and the feeling of not having food, money for the bus or my phone bill, and of not having the right to work. I can’t imagine how much harder it must all feel right now.

With or without the pandemic, waiting for your asylum claim to be processed is an incredibly difficult time. I had to wait over two-and-a-half years for the home office to make a decision. During that time I was barred from having a job, unable to earn a living or continue my career.

It’s hard to describe how difficult it was. Not just the lack of money, having to rely on £5.66 a day from the Home Office. It hurt my pride, it made me feel less human.

I so badly wanted to be able to continue building my career. I’d always loved business management, and had so much experience in the field from the 15 years I had been here in the UK before I was forced claim asylum. But the current rules meant I had to put everything on hold for years while my asylum claim was processed, and I was unable to take any job offered to me during this time because of the restrictions imposed.

Now that I’ve finally got refugee status and I’m able to work, I’ve set up my own small fashion brand.

During the lockdown I’ve been making masks and scrubs for the NHS. I’ve also been making masks for a hostel for people seeking asylum – it’s one small way I’ve been able to help. The masks are fun to make, although I have to be careful, I’ve found myself making them until four in the morning!

I’m also involved in the Lift the Ban coalition which is a group of over 200 organisations campaigning to change the rules so people seeking asylum have the right to work in the UK. As part of the campaign I got to go to Parliament last year, to talk to MPs and Peers about my life in Britain. It was there that I saw the power of the campaign. We met MPs and Peers from all political parties. They’re aware of how much support our campaign to give people seeking asylum the right to work has got.

So, let’s keep going! Let’s keep up the pressure because I think we can win. I could see that as I told politicians what had happened to me. They understood why things need to change; and why lifting the ban will be good for people like me, good for business and good for society.

I don’t want any other people seeking asylum to feel dehumanised, or to go through the depressing process that I went through. We need to Lift the Ban.

Stand with me and call on our Government to Lift the Ban

To sign the petition and to read other refugee stories go to https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/refugee-voices/

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have him on block but he regularly pops up on any thread I am on and quotes me multiple times (Yes, you can see someone has quoted you even on ignore) presumably to have a go. He has a personal hatred of me that he has trouble keeping in a lid on. I say he because Pasta and Chicken Run are one and the same. He is best ignored.

Luckily there are more people out there who aren't quite as challenged as him and can read the thread and choose to not take part without insulting other people.

The guy has way too much time on his hands and way too many people he stalks on here.

I bet he didn't even mention the topic, just straight in at me? No, he never comments on the subject.

This post will make him apoplectic. You'll get;

You have multiple accounts ( I don't, I used to post under a different name. common knowledge)
You're a liar
You're a weirdo
You don't support BHAFC

and probably other stalkery crap. The man is two wheels short of a bicycle.

He'll post using one of his accounts and, a while later use his other account to back himself up. The chap needs a holiday :thumbsup:

Anyway, that website once again

https://www.worldvision.org.uk/ways-...pecial-appeal/

Wrong as usual

I don’t want criminals here anymore than I want Ppf here. The system has flaws, of course it does. But they have to be allowed to get here and be processed. They can’t be processed in a dinghy in the channel.
Most get sent back anyway, albeit after a lengthy appeals process.
Those that sneak in undetected? No amount of legislation will stop them.

Asylum seekers, including the ones who mostly get sent back from the Uk anyway, can of course not fund people smugglers for a Calais crossing and can apply for asylum and be processed in the safe EU countries that are passed through on the way to Calais instead of getting in a dinghy or death-trap lorry. This obviously doesnt compute with your mindset as you want to encourage them to allowed to get here via a perilous journey and at the hands of criminal gangs that brutalise and rape the vulnerable.
You seem to have zero understanding there are actual registered vulnerable refugees, who have already been processed and registered by the UNHCF in refugees camps, and who could have priority over illegals and economic migrants chancing it getting here by illegal ways, and who would be afforded safe passage. Your message is very clear, get here asylum seekers, anyway you can..............but i dont want any of you at my house or living with my loved ones.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’M A QUALIFIED CARER SEEKING ASYLUM: BANNING ME FROM WORKING HELPS NOBODY

Members of Parliament debated the right to work for me and other people claiming asylum on Wednesday 18 November.

Speaking for the Government, Home Office Minister Chris Philp presented various arguments for keeping the ban in place, including that lifting it might somehow encourage people to make ‘illegal’ journeys to the UK and that he was working on a ‘firm and fair’ asylum system.

None of this does anything to address the situation which is being faced by people legally pursuing their right to claim asylum right now. My claim is still being processed nine years after it was made. I’ve been banned from working since then, relying not even on the Asylum Support payments of less than £40 per week, but on the kindness of others.

As a qualified carer, during the health and social care crisis caused by the pandemic, Chris Philp’s deflections don’t help me or any of the people I could be helping if I were allowed to work.

In my home country, my husband, daughter and I were victims of persecution. We were threatened, but thankfully we didn’t give them the chance to hurt us because we hid, and stayed on the move. It was a very hard for us.

I first came to the UK as a student. Having studied computer science back home, I decided to study further. I then got a job as a carer alongside my studies, and began working with people suffering from learning and mental health difficulties.

I could not imagine that in care work, I would find my true calling. I worked in this for over three years, because I loved this work and I love these people. This inspired me to switch my education to study health and social care management, Which I graduated from in 2011.

Shortly afterwards, we were forced to seek asylum. My husband returned to our home country to see if the danger for us had subsided. We quickly realised we could not return, and were forced to seek safety.

When we applied for asylum, we begged them to give us work permits – we couldn’t think of not being able to work. They didn’t listen to us.

I have struggled so much over the last nine years – If I started writing what we have been through, I will never finish.

For nine long years, I have not been able to pursue my passion, which lies in helping others.

During this coronavirus time, it is awful to sit back and not be able to help people. It is horrible for me to see there is a shortage of carers. I am a UK-qualified carer. Can you imagine?

How can I sit back and see this situation going on, when I could be helping? I feel very bad and sorry for myself and the country that I cannot use my life in this crucial moment to help others.

People should understand what we go through. People say that we get Government money, but this is not what we want. This isn’t life – someone giving you money like you’re a beggar.

If asylum seekers got the permission to work, our lives would be completely different. We can contribute to society, contribute to the country, pay tax and we will feel like human beings.

We were not poor back home, we had a life there. We did not come here for a better life. We had a better life.

If there was security in my country for minorities, we would not be here. We are suffering here more than there, but at least our lives aren’t in danger.

I want to say to the government: use our lives to help others. We can contribute skills and pay tax.

The whole country should be standing with us to lift the ban, and allow us to work.

If you’d like to join our campaign to lift the ban and give people seeking asylum the right to work you can email your MP below.

https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/refugee-voices/

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’M A QUALIFIED CARER SEEKING ASYLUM: BANNING ME FROM WORKING HELPS NOBODY

Members of Parliament debated the right to work for me and other people claiming asylum on Wednesday 18 November.

Speaking for the Government, Home Office Minister Chris Philp presented various arguments for keeping the ban in place, including that lifting it might somehow encourage people to make ‘illegal’ journeys to the UK and that he was working on a ‘firm and fair’ asylum system.

None of this does anything to address the situation which is being faced by people legally pursuing their right to claim asylum right now. My claim is still being processed nine years after it was made. I’ve been banned from working since then, relying not even on the Asylum Support payments of less than £40 per week, but on the kindness of others.

As a qualified carer, during the health and social care crisis caused by the pandemic, Chris Philp’s deflections don’t help me or any of the people I could be helping if I were allowed to work.

In my home country, my husband, daughter and I were victims of persecution. We were threatened, but thankfully we didn’t give them the chance to hurt us because we hid, and stayed on the move. It was a very hard for us.

I first came to the UK as a student. Having studied computer science back home, I decided to study further. I then got a job as a carer alongside my studies, and began working with people suffering from learning and mental health difficulties.

I could not imagine that in care work, I would find my true calling. I worked in this for over three years, because I loved this work and I love these people. This inspired me to switch my education to study health and social care management, Which I graduated from in 2011.

Shortly afterwards, we were forced to seek asylum. My husband returned to our home country to see if the danger for us had subsided. We quickly realised we could not return, and were forced to seek safety.

When we applied for asylum, we begged them to give us work permits – we couldn’t think of not being able to work. They didn’t listen to us.

I have struggled so much over the last nine years – If I started writing what we have been through, I will never finish.

For nine long years, I have not been able to pursue my passion, which lies in helping others.

During this coronavirus time, it is awful to sit back and not be able to help people. It is horrible for me to see there is a shortage of carers. I am a UK-qualified carer. Can you imagine?

How can I sit back and see this situation going on, when I could be helping? I feel very bad and sorry for myself and the country that I cannot use my life in this crucial moment to help others.

People should understand what we go through. People say that we get Government money, but this is not what we want. This isn’t life – someone giving you money like you’re a beggar.

If asylum seekers got the permission to work, our lives would be completely different. We can contribute to society, contribute to the country, pay tax and we will feel like human beings.

We were not poor back home, we had a life there. We did not come here for a better life. We had a better life.

If there was security in my country for minorities, we would not be here. We are suffering here more than there, but at least our lives aren’t in danger.

I want to say to the government: use our lives to help others. We can contribute skills and pay tax.

The whole country should be standing with us to lift the ban, and allow us to work.

If you’d like to join our campaign to lift the ban and give people seeking asylum the right to work you can email your MP below.

https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/refugee-voices/

Why should an asylum seeker, ie someone who has yet to be processed for refugee or humanitarian status, and still might be sent home, be allowed to work in the care sector with vulnerable people before processing is undertaken and completed.
Remembering of course you are of the opinion asylum seekers should be kept in secure accommodation until they have been processed.
You have one hell of a hypocritical conflicting stance.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am starting a campaign to save the shingle at Dungeness. It is a national heritage site and its a disgrace that so many different ' plates ' are running roughshod over it, damaging local flora and fauna, in a desperate bid to get to Oxford street before the post Christmas sales start.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
so there's easy ways for people to apply for asylum but they choose to risk their lives instead?

Depends which tabloid you read I suppose

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At least the Tory government have issued advice on how to help refugees in the UK. I suppose with immigration at an all time high under their leadership, we now have the highest immigration rates in history, the Tories need all the help they can get.

https://www.gov.uk/help-refugees

Jan 30, 2008
How genuinely lovely to see the other side of things. People actually welcoming people who need our compassions and our help. This really does mark us Brits out as a cut above other nations when it comes to offering our kindness and humanity.
Offering a hand is what being British used to be all about.
There really isn’t much to be proud about being English right now but this is a real breath of fresh air. We can be proud of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ash-with-far-right-activists-in-kent-protests

Despite far right protestors turning up and attacking the police. Disgraceful .

I’ve started this in the bear pit because sadly, this is where it will end up. For clarity, this is not started as a fishing thread, we really should be celebrating Brits showing our better nature. It’s very rare we have cause for this in this day and age.
:dunce:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...ling-gang-facing-jail-over-39-migrant-deaths/
regards
DF

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
First migrant wins asylum in UK on the grounds they are non-binary: Britney Spears fan 'Arthur Britney Joe Star' is given full refugee status after successfully claiming they were persecuted at home in El Salvador

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-right-asylum-UK-persecuted-El-Salvador.html

I won’t click the link, it’s the Mail but that’s great news. It’s genuinely made me happy that we have provided asylum. A huge step forward.

And very unfortunate you saw fit to post it as a bad thing. Shame on you. Supporting BHA and condemning helping people who are experiencing persecution for their gender. Shameful really.

And very cowardly to not offer comment when it’s obvious why you posted it. You utter mess.

On top of which it’s inaccurate. Plenty of people have been granted asylum due to gender persecution. You fool.

Last edited:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I won’t click the link, it’s the Mail but that’s great news. It’s genuinely made me happy that we have provided asylum. A huge step forward.

And very unfortunate you saw fit to post it as a bad thing. Shame on you. Supporting BHA and condemning helping people who are experiencing persecution for their gender. Shameful really.

And very cowardly to not offer comment when it’s obvious why you posted it. You utter mess.

On top of which it’s inaccurate. Plenty of people have been granted asylum due to gender persecution. You fool.

What makes you think the link has been posted " as a bad thing " This is supposed to be a welcome refugees thread is it not .

Anyway here is a link to the same story from the Guardian , just for you precious

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...t-non-binary-person-granted-uk-refugee-status

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports