Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'd imagine he'll have a few offers from other PL clubs, but he seems happy and settled here. We've done a pretty good job of keeping him fit, he's played regularly and scored some goals. Based on all of those things, I'd hope we'd be top of his list for another contract.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'd imagine he'll have a few offers from other PL clubs, but he seems happy and settled here. We've done a pretty good job of keeping him fit, he's played regularly and scored some goals. Based on all of those things, I'd hope we'd be top of his list for another contract.

Unfortunately both he and his agent will know this is his last chance of some decent wedge.
Equally his agent will know that we need him (in his current form and fitness) more than most.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
IMHO with Welbeck, he's a much better finisher when he doesn't have the time to think about it.

The same has been said of Maupay and it begs the question of why are we forever attempting intricate beautiful football that rarely ends well.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Unfortunately both he and his agent will know this is his last chance of some decent wedge.
Equally his agent will know that we need him (in his current form and fitness) more than most.

It's a very fair point, BUT you'd hope the club would do the probable sums on what it would cost us to replace him. Providing he doesn't ask for an absolutely exorbitant wage, I'm fairly confident we can afford to keep him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would love him to stay (and be complemented with at least one other signing - two if Connolly goes out on loan). Seems to be enjoying himself here, having one of the best - and injury-free - spells of his career and is clearly a bit of a big fish in a small pond. Maybe we can hope that he will realise he's wanted and being well looked after and will stay - interesting discussions ahead between him and the management but would be very surprised if we don't make him a decent offer. Spending £20m (plus wages) won't get us a better striker

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
It's a no brainer to keep him.

either £30m for a top striker

or £75,000 per week ( don't know his salary) =£3.9m for 12 months

Sign him up...... the thought of Maupay & Conolly as our front to doesn't bare thinking about !!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Though weirdly his goal record is pretty poor until he joined us!

For us though, agreed.. his finishing has been pretty clinical.

Agreed - he's not had a great goalscoring record but I wonder how often he got a run in a team. It's pretty common to see that players who are slated as being rubbish for Champions League clubs are actually pretty damn good compared to the standard clubs have in the lower half. I think people listen to the pundits & fans of the so-called Big 6 too much when forming their opinions on individuals.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
It's a no brainer to keep him.

either £30m for a top striker

or £75,000 per week ( don't know his salary) =£3.9m for 12 months

Sign him up...... the thought of Maupay & Conolly as our front to doesn't bare thinking about !!!!

I'd like to see how Welbz and Andone would fare together.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Would love him to stay (and be complemented with at least one other signing - two if Connolly goes out on loan). Seems to be enjoying himself here, having one of the best - and injury-free - spells of his career and is clearly a bit of a big fish in a small pond. Maybe we can hope that he will realise he's wanted and being well looked after and will stay - interesting discussions ahead between him and the management but would be very surprised if we don't make him a decent offer. Spending £20m (plus wages) won't get us a better striker

He’s genuinely looked like he’s enjoying his time with us. He’s being well looked after, we seem to be playing a system that suits him. Would be surprised if he isn’t with us next season.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020

Agreed with that. Furthermore, for a squad that has a lot of players that are quite new to the Premier League, having a striker with 250+ appearances at this level is also something not to be overlooked. Any replacement purchase almost definitely will not have that.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Tell me about Bruno’s if we are going down that route.

Wasn’t Bruno doing his badges and helping with academy youth age groups before he retired?

Of course GM may have done his badges, but my understanding is he’s being doing media courses rather than coaching ones. Shame if that is the case because one thing he had in abundance was guile which is something he could pass on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Wasn’t Bruno doing his badges and helping with academy youth age groups before he retired?

Of course GM may have done his badges, but my understanding is he’s being doing media courses rather than coaching ones. Shame if that is the case because one thing he had in abundance was guile which is something he could pass on.
Agree he’s an intelligent fellow with bags of experience would be a shame to waste it. His movement and hold up play was excellent in his younger years.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tell me about Bruno’s if we are going down that route.

I can’t, he didn’t have any. I didn’t suggest Bruno is a good coach or should be in that role did I?

Decent players don’t necessarily make good coaches at all. Murray has shown no desire to go into that role, he clearly wants to focus on the media.

I’m not sure 37 premier league goal and no coaching experience Glenn Murray is going to benefit 50 premier league and 16 England goal Danny Welbeck all that much to be honest.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can’t, he didn’t have any. I didn’t suggest Bruno is a good coach or should be in that role did I?

Decent players don’t necessarily make good coaches at all. Murray has shown no desire to go into that role, he clearly wants to focus on the media.

I’m not sure 37 premier league goal and no coaching experience Glenn Murray is going to benefit 50 premier league and 16 England goal Danny Welbeck all that much to be honest.
Players at all levels get coached all week every week that’s how they improve surely ???

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Its been obvious the impact Welbeck and Lalanna are having on the mentality of the squad. Both have recently said in interviews how important it is to keep standards up every day in training, getting that side of things right.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Problem for me is it's likely at this stage of his career Welbeck will want at least a 2 year contract. I'm certain we will have offered at least a one year deal but a 2 year deal with his injury record is a bit of a gamble to say the least. Maybe we would offer a 2 year deal dependant on a certain level of fitness. Who knows but he's a very useful player to have on the books.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Problem for me is it's likely at this stage of his career Welbeck will want at least a 2 year contract. I'm certain we will have offered at least a one year deal but a 2 year deal with his injury record is a bit of a gamble to say the least. Maybe we would offer a 2 year deal dependant on a certain level of fitness. Who knows but he's a very useful player to have on the books.

1+1 would be optimal I think, but if he wants 2 years I think he will get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here