Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think a decision to keep Welbeck or not will depend on the signing-on fee and contract terms. If his agent's demands are too high, I've no doubt we'll look elsewhere, but he knows us now and might decide he wants to stay and tells his agent to keep things reasonable.

We've seen what he can do when he's fit - and I'm talking about the touches around the box to set up chances for others as well as his goals - and the players obviously rate him as a teammate, judging by what Gross had to say about him after the Leeds game. If he's fit, he has to start ahead of any of our current strikers, although I'd be interested to see what Zeqiri might do alongside him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Radio Sussex’s Johnny (“hi Johnny”) suggested Welbeck already knows he’s going to be here next season based on the way he was talking after the game.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't be bothered to check the rest of the thread, but if Danny scores one more goal this season, it will be his best Premier League goal tally since 2013/14 at Man Utd. I reckon not only has he recovered his fitness to forgotten levels, but also his love for the game. He looks like he is enjoying himself. I reckon he'll happily stay another season with us.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This season is now 3060 minutes old.

Welbeck has played 1350 minutes and scored 5 goals.

I know it's fantasy but if he could stay fit and play every minute of an entire season injury free, he wouldn't be far off 20 goals.

Such a shame he's so fragile.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can't be bothered to check the rest of the thread, but if Danny scores one more goal this season, it will be his best Premier League goal tally since 2013/14 at Man Utd. I reckon not only has he recovered his fitness to forgotten levels, but also his love for the game. He looks like he is enjoying himself. I reckon he'll happily stay another season with us.

The gamble here is whether we offer him a 2 year deal. Others might make that offer. He’d be a fine foil for Pukki for example:

I really hope we give him the two year deal, he is clearly playing how Potter needs him to. He is a fine role model to our dozens of young players (including a certain hairy man child) and his professionalism will be cascading throughout the ranks.

I see Zeqiri as his long term replacement. Let’s give the Swissman two years to try and replace Danny while filling in for him in cup games and when he needs a rest or gets an injury.

Still need that elusive natural finisher though...

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I know it's fantasy but if he could stay fit and play every minute of an entire season injury free, he wouldn't be far off 20 goals.

Not all 1710 mins have been missed through injury though have they? He didn't get selected for the first few games, he's not been selected for all when fit and he's been subbed and a sub a few times. Wonder how much of that was not available for selection?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I kept wanting to shout this at the TV when the pundits etc were saying 5 wasn’t enough or whatever they were saying. He signed a few games after the season started ffs!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not all 1710 mins have been missed through injury though have they? He didn't get selected for the first few games, he's not been selected for all when fit and he's been subbed and a sub a few times. Wonder how much of that was not available for selection?

Welbeck missed 6 Premier League games through a knee injury (540 mins) in January and start of Feb, additionally he missed the first 4 games as he hadn't signed for us, and wasn't involved against Palace as his signing for us was announced on the day of the game (450 mins).

He's started 14 PL games (completing 90 mins 7 times) and been a used sub 7 of the 9 times he's been on the bench this season (unused in the West Brom and Arsenal home games). Apart from the 6 games missed through injury, Welbeck has been in the PL match day squad for every game he's been available for this season. He's missed approx 720 mins of football through either being on the bench or taken off in a game.

He was also an unused sub in the FA cup game against Leicester, the other FA Cup games he was injured for and the League Cup games came before he signed for us.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Welbeck missed 6 Premier League games through a knee injury (540 mins) in January and start of Feb, additionally he missed the first 4 games as he hadn't signed for us, and wasn't involved against Palace as his signing for us was announced on the day of the game (450 mins).

He's started 14 PL games (completing 90 mins 7 times) and been a used sub 7 of the 9 times he's been on the bench this season (unused in the West Brom and Arsenal home games). Apart from the 6 games missed through injury, Welbeck has been in the PL match day squad for every game he's been available for this season. He's missed approx 720 mins of football through either being a sub or being subbed off.

He was also an unused sub in the FA cup game against Leicester, the other FA Cup games he was injured for and the League Cup games came before he signed for us.

I think with both Welbeck and Lallana there have been games they've missed not through injury, but due to the sports science team advising they rest to avoid risking injuries.

They both need handling with care, but seem to be playing more than they have in recent years. So kudos to our medical department.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think with both Welbeck and Lallana there have been games they've missed not through injury, but due to the sports science team advising they rest to avoid risking injuries.

They both need handling with care, but seem to be playing more than they have in recent years. So kudos to our medical department.

I took my stats from this - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/danny-welbeck/leistungsdaten/spieler/67063

As I said it shows apart from the 6 games he's been injured he's been in the match day squad for every PL league he's been available for. Any resting may have come from either being on the bench or being taken off early, he's certainly not been rested and left out of the squad all together.

When Welbeck scored against Leeds he went over and made a point of celebrating with one of our backroom staff, anyone know who this was? Was thinking maybe it's someone that's been involved in his fitness being quite high this season. Welbeck has played a lot more football this season than he has in his previous few with Watford and Arsenal credit to our medical staff for keeping him fit and helping him recover quickly when he has been injured.

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
From Footystats.com Welbeck has 0.33 goals per game this season from a total of 1350 mins. That is very respectable and worthy of a new contract. I would look to get both Zeqiri and Connolly out on loan as I think it would benefit them and two in to replace them as options. Gut feeling is that neither may make it at this level but they need games before such a decision can be made with any certainty.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I kept wanting to shout this at the TV when the pundits etc were saying 5 wasn’t enough or whatever they were saying. He signed a few games after the season started ffs!

I know, it's frustrating isn't it! I think a lot of people have forgotten his signing wasn't announced until the day of the Palace game on 18th October and he didn't make his debut until coming on as a sub in the Spurs game on 1st November. By then the season was 6 weeks and 10 games old.

When you consider the 6 weeks he was out injured in the middle of the season too, his goals and assists contribution for us has been very decent not to mention his intelligent all round game.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
From Footystats.com Welbeck has 0.33 goals per game this season from a total of 1350 mins. That is very respectable and worthy of a new contract. I would look to get both Zeqiri and Connolly out on loan as I think it would benefit them and two in to replace them as options. Gut feeling is that neither may make it at this level but they need games before such a decision can be made with any certainty.

We may include Andone in our striker 'stable' next year as well, so we may go with:

Welbeck, Maupay, Andone, new signing

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We may include Andone in our striker 'stable' next year as well, so we may go with:

This is likely.

Judging by the Welbeck interview where he went on about him for 5 minutes, I don't think we're disowning Andone.

I can see Andone and Maupay having a straight shoot out for the one central striking space with Wellbeck and Trossard in the deeper wider positions.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is likely.

Judging by the Welbeck interview where he went on about him for 5 minutes, I don't think we're disowning Andone.

I can see Andone and Maupay having a straight shoot out for the one central striking space with Wellbeck and Trossard in the deeper wider positions.

It will be interesting to see IF Andlone is back in contention, whether he displaces Maupay, isn't as good or maybe they work together . . . . either way some competition for Maupay can only be a good thing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Mad just how Tau is completely out of the conversation.

I’m not saying how good or not he is, but he’s hardly played for us at all. He looked pretty good vs Man City.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

I’m not saying how good or not he is, but he’s hardly played for us at all. He looked pretty good vs Man City.

I agree, tbh I forgot about him when I wrote my previous post.

Just my take on it, but I feel Potter gave him a chance to stake a claim when he started the cup games against Blackpool and latterly Leicester. He was poor against Blackpool and didn't have much impact vs Leicester (hard to I know) and Potter has barely used him when available since then. I think we'll accept an offer for him in the summer if a reasonable one comes in.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

I was going to suggest his size is the issue, but having checked he is actually 175cm, 3cm taller than Philippe Coutinho, who is a similar build and plays in a similar manner. He did alright.

I guess its just a case of Percy getting used to the pace and physicallity of English football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh blimey I'd completely forgotten about Andone :facepalm: :lol:.

I'd deffo keep Welbeck if Andone is staying and is mobile.

My entire argument against Welbz was that the strikers need a change up and he's the easiest one to move on from the squad.

If Andone is back in the frame that would be the change I would need, esp if his minutes on the pitch can me 'managed' in conjunction with DW's.

If Andone, and to a much lesser extent Tau, aren't staying then DW needs to make was for A.N. Other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here