Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Football] We need to talk about Swansman

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
His posts and the people replying to him certainly puts up the traffic on NSC :)
If people just ignored some of it sometimes then maybe he would post less controversial stuff.
I don't get irritated by things I read on an internet forum from people I don't know anyway.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Are you not able to read the bit that saysā€™ a word about the sheer volume of postsā€™ or so you need the mods to read the posts out loud for you? šŸ˜œ

f***, just broke my ban. Itā€™s back on Startingā€¦.. now
How long are you banning yourself for ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'll leave this open until the morning so any other views are welcome, but once I'm up and about this thread will be closed down.

I'm minded to ask Swansman rein it in a bit. Well, a lot, actually. Not every post he reads needs a response.

From a quick bit of research, it looks like I can spend some cash and buy a plugin which will allow me to set a daily limit of posts that can be made by any particular user(s). I'd rather not go down this route, but there does seem to be an automated technical solution to any users who need to be a bit more considered as to when and where they post.
I can literally write the exact same stuff as Swansman, but because I've been a brighton fan for 40 years, no one singles it out. But Swansman is like a red rag to a bull on here sometimes and the pile on can get quite unedifying. The moderator Guinness is one of the worst offenders. I'd perhaps have a word with some of them as well.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm always going to defend former and current players and staff (in particular mr Potter)... done it for 3,5 years, not stopping unless stopped. Why? You know why - they're people.

I think some people would find me a lot less annoying if this didn't turn into a Graham Potter / Chelsea forum (maybe one thread is enough?). I'm eager to discuss Brighton, football and life but there seems to be very little interest in discussing most things that aren't a relationship broken up some six months ago, and few other narratives than the one about The Fraud and The Flawless New Lady are available... I might not fit into that echo chamber. In other threads I'm pretty much like anyone.

That's all... no need to ban this account, not using it again. Have a nice weekend, hopefully with 3 good points against Liverpool.
Sorry Swansman.... but long live the Potter /Chelsea threads, they're hilarious!

Dec 29, 2011
His posts are insightful and well written. I also agree with a lot of what he says.

However, he does post A LOT. I notice he's the first to reply to many threads. He replies so much it actually makes me dislike the content of his posts, despite sharing many of his views. Once he gets into an argument the thread is a write off because there is no end.

I wouldn't be opposed to a daily post limit. (Also, 15 posts a day on average? I'd have guessed at a lot more than that!)

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Imagine being sat next to me in a real life social setting!! People have actually said that to me in a social setting but left the post count out! :LOL:;)
:lolol: A good sense of humour makes life worth while , my humble suggestion is to post more often and keep involved , and enjoy an Albion win on Saturday - good health :drink:(y)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He's all good, he hasn't bitten anyone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can literally write the exact same stuff as Swansman, but because I've been a brighton fan for 40 years, no one singles it out. But Swansman is like a red rag to a bull on here sometimes and the pile on can get quite unedifying. The moderator Guinness is one of the worst offenders. I'd perhaps have a word with some of them as well.
Imho @Guinness Boy and @Swansman give as good as they get, they can both look after themselves online, thereā€™s no bullying.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Part of the reason he posts so much is because there's a hard-core of fans who want to debate everything he says. He most definitely has the right of reply. Quite frankly Swansman appears to win 90% of these debates hands down.

Threads like these rarely reflect well on the people doing the criticising. Swanny is very welcome here as far at I'm concerned.
Completely agree - I find the 3 or 4 posters who seem to follow him around ridiculing him and arguing every point he makes to be quite irritating to be honest, and many of those posts are much more spiteful than he ever is.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Swanny was made to leave NSC (either forcefully, or because he was made to feel unwelcome), it would say far more about those on here than him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Completely agree - I find the 3 or 4 posters who seem to follow him around ridiculing him and arguing every point he makes to be quite irritating to be honest, and many of those posts are much more spiteful than he ever is.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Swanny was made to leave NSC (either forcefully, or because he was made to feel unwelcome), it would say far more about those on here than him.
It cuts both ways, during Potterā€™s long winless runs @Swansman was jumping on any critical or despondent posts from @Guinness Boy and @Stat Brother within seconds. @Stat Brother asked for it to stop.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I for one have not had an issue with Swansman.
I donā€™t mind his posts and donā€™t see what all of the fuss is about. Surely he is entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong.

Maybe itā€™s just be me!
Likewise. He often talks out of his arse and can spout bollocks, especially when it comes to his intellectualising of our history, which we all lived through. But solution is to argue your point back imho.

He does also have different points of view and some obscure footie knowledge that's not threatening at all and is a decent contribution.

Waiting now for the Swanny IN/OUT/FENCE poll.

As a big fan of Potter, I'm sure he'll be honoured to get the same poll his hero enjoyed so often!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
At times he can be intelligent, insightful and make some good points. When heā€™s sober.

When heā€™s high or drunk, the posts become angrier, more frequent and gets peopleā€™s backs up.

I donā€™t want him gone, but itā€™s incredibly annoying where good on-topic threads get derailed with his constant need to ā€œwinā€ and be right, even when he has little idea what he is talking about. Again, always at certain times of day (and night) which fall into easy to identify patterns.

His speech becomes more verbose, his views get more outlandish and he becomes reminiscent of a very good friend of mine who sadly suffers from drug and alcohol induced manic episodes, including all the same conspiracy theories and delusions of grandeur.

I really like the talking-about-football Swansman, especially neutral football.

He has been very clearly mentally distressed by what has happened with Potter (which is bizarre in itself), and should have posts restricted only when his behaviour is becoming problematic.

Otherwise, heā€™s okay really - a bit of a character and an interesting poster when sober and lucid.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No problem with him myself and thought public, personal attacks were against forum rules. Think thatā€™s been discussed above but bit sad my fave forum and distraction while being driven around on work errands has turned into a school playground this morning.

I also expect some of those most vociferous in their condemnation of him posting on average 15 times a day, might be some of the other most prolific daily posters? Also worth a note that when my mental health has been low Iā€™ve been on NSC 10x as often or long daily as when itā€™s high (not that I donā€™t read but more I donā€™t dwell and fixate most of the time. Those words for either side of an arguing couple on here seem like a sign we should put an arm round someone involved rather than publicly assassinate them?)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I also thought a direct attack was against Forum rules.

We have to accept Swanny has a lot of time on his hands, he's a Potter fan, he's actually not stupid (he has, wether you like it or not, made some excellent points over the months), he may or may not have aspergers/autism or just be plain quirky (and I do not mean that in a condescending way), and as this is a public forum he has every right to post on here as much as he likes.

Personally I've always been 50/50 on the bloke, but he's not nasty.

I also have a grudging respect for Dougie. He takes the abuse so well. :lolol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here