Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
“All gone quiet over there”

Great second half, no points, but I’ll take it. Onwards and upwards.

Listened to it on the radio. Good fightback in second half and need to carry that onto Arsenal on Thursday, hopefully with some sensible defending. Looking forward to being there for Wolves on Sunday, would accept a dull 1 0 !!! lol. Hoping for a Christmas outside the bottom three.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
The main difference will be what happens in the second two thirds of the season. If we play like today, we will finish top half. That is progress

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Seriously - Hughton had even less resources available to him at Norwich (a club that consistently attempt to play in the PL on the cheap).

He 'didn't believe in his squads abilities' - because the squad was a bottom 3 squad (and in the case of Norwich - a bottom of the pile squad).

He wasn't relegated at Norwich - they had never been in the relegation zone and were five points above relegation with five games to go - the Norwich board panicked and it got them relegated.

At Brighton Hughton kept a bottom 3 squad in the PL for two seasons running.

Some light reading for you. Our record against Liverpool under CH .....

Pl 4, lost 4, goals for 1, goals against 11.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Seriously - Hughton had even less resources available to him at Norwich (a club that consistently attempt to play in the PL on the cheap).

He 'didn't believe in his squads abilities' - because the squad was a bottom 3 squad (and in the case of Norwich - a bottom of the pile squad).

He wasn't relegated at Norwich - they had never been in the relegation zone and were five points above relegation with five games to go - the Norwich board panicked and it got them relegated.

At Brighton Hughton kept a bottom 3 squad in the PL for two seasons running.

Another JCL.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Seagulls. I have been watching since 1964, Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean, Amex. Seen it all, many managers and many different approaches. My view is that at the end of the day it is results and points that will count. This year we have made a good start, playing entertaining football which we need to turn more into points. We are doing ok at the moment but there is much to do to stay in this division.

That's not what you said tho which I was replying to.
You said ' Entertaining losing football soon loses its attraction.'
I would say watching some of the terrible games last season was enough to put me off footie for life.
My first Albion match was in the early seventies.although my grandad took me in the late sixties and dumped me down the front of the chicken run.

Some light reading for you. Our record against Liverpool under CH .....

Pl 4, lost 4, goals for 1, goals against 11.

Spence, but for the Hughton era

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Main difference, lucky last year to scrape a few pre Christmas results this year far far better but not much luck. Hopefully it goes our way a bit more but even if not I think we are far more likely to improve and establish ourselves under this manager than the last.

Under CH I wouldn’t have minded going back to the Chamionship as bored stiff. Under Potter I think time and even normal rub of the green we will be safe and enjoyable to watch for a fair few years.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I still think we are bang in trouble. The gap to the bottom 3 is down to 3 points and we have some tricky fixtures coming up. I’m still not convinced we have the players to play how Potter wants to play and results proof that. Performances haven’t been too bad but good performances don’t always bring good results

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If we lose at Arsenal and let's say get a point V Wolves we will be 6 points worse off than last season. But you know what ? IF we go down which I don't think we will I would rather we did with the refreshing rebranding of BHAFC that Potter is installing. We are close to being bottom 3 after the next 2 games and may well be and we are suffering for a poor haul of points from games we could have and should have won earlier this season.This division is brutal. The fact Liverpool were clinging on and very happy to get over the line is a total oppostive from last season. I am sure with CH here this season we were sleepwalking to relegation and if the worst happens this season we are at least giving it a damn good go and playing some great football. The main issue is the lack of finishing in the final third and not being clinical and we are weak upfront and need to address this in January. I am sure Tony has got this

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
If we lose at Arsenal and let's say get a point V Wolves we will be 6 points worse off than last season. But you know what ? IF we go down which I don't think we will I would rather we did with the refreshing rebranding of BHAFC that Potter is installing. We are close to being bottom 3 after the next 2 games and may well be and we are suffering for a poor haul of points from games we could have and should have won earlier this season.This division is brutal. The fact Liverpool were clinging on and very happy to get over the line is a total oppostive from last season. I am sure with CH here this season we were sleepwalking to relegation and if the worst happens this season we are at least giving it a damn good go and playing some great football. The main issue is the lack of finishing in the final third and not being clinical and we are weak upfront and need to address this in January. I am sure Tony has got this

This is very much how I see things apart from the getting relegated part- would be a disaster

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
This is very much how I see things apart from the getting relegated part- would be a disaster

Agree. I don't buy all this rubbish about happy to go down playing like this. It would be a financial disaster and we all know how hard it is to get promoted from the Championship.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It doesn't really matter too much if we're behind where we were last season - as we were extraordinarily fortunate then to be picking up wins (Murray scoring with virtually every shot) until the New Year. Then, results fell off a cliff. What we really need to do is make sure that doesn't happen again and, with some of the football we've seen under Potter, there's every reason to expect us to keep picking up victories providing we can start to make the most of our chances. At the back end of last season, we weren't even creating chances to take or approaching important games with even the slightest sense of adventure. If we can collect 5 points in the next 5 games, we'll have 20 points at the halfway point and be bang on track for survival at the very least.

I think there's a lot of truth in 'you make your own luck' and , with Potter's approach, I can see us getting lucky a lot more often than in the past.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Spence, but for the Hughton era

FFS. I have nothing but the upmost respect for CH. he was but for the last few months of his reign very successful. however at the end he was sadly found out. The point of the post was that 2-1 today was not a disaster and that CH wasn’t perfect which the OP clearly thinks he is .....

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I am sure with CH here this season we were sleepwalking to relegation
yea - if Hughton was still manager he would be oblivious to the fact that the club was facing relegation (and Bloom would be ignoring the problem too)

and if the worst happens this season we are at least giving it a damn good go and playing some great football.
So - play fancy football and sleepwalk into relegation - then see the financial bubble burst and end up worse than when Hughton was appointed.

The main issue is the lack of finishing in the final third and not being clinical and we are weak upfront and need to address this in January. I am sure Tony has got this
yes indeed - it should be easy to find a proven goalscorer who wants to come to Brighton.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Same results and entertaining football?! Not for me thank you! I want, nay demand the same results and insipid dull boring football!

Surely you can see we are moving forward. Was at the game today and **** me we were quality at times. Listening to scousers drooling over Propper on the walk back from the game.

So in conclusion OP, have a coke and smile and shut the f**k up! ��

Quality (in your appreciation) got us absolutely nothing except possibly a few goals on GD. Nothing if the end of season place isn't determined by GD.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
May be a fact but we were utter dog turd in the second half of last season so as long as we improve there we are all good.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
yea - if Hughton was still manager he would be oblivious to the fact that the club was facing relegation (and Bloom would be ignoring the problem too)

So - play fancy football and sleepwalk into relegation - then see the financial bubble burst and end up worse than when Hughton was appointed.

yes indeed - it should be easy to find a proven goalscorer who wants to come to Brighton.

The obvious question seems to be 'Why do you care?' As I understand it, you're not a Brighton fan, yet you're spending your time on a Brighton forum telling fans who are very happy with their manager that they are wrong to be. Tony Bloom's happy with his choice. We are happy with his choice. You have made it clear to us that you're not happy with his choice. Now you've said it, why carry on coming here and saying it again and again? You seem to have indicated in other posts that you live in Ireland and I assume don't come to our games, so presumably, it's no skin off your nose.

I didn't think that Leicester should have sacked Ranieri. My reaction was to say 'That was a bit harsh. Still.. Up to them I suppose.' Not to go onto their forum to tell them repeatedly why it was wrong.

Could you answer a genuine question: If it's not just trolling, why do you feel the need to have anything to do with us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here