Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wayne Couzens has pleaded guilty to murder of Sarah Everard

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Indeed; my old stamping ground. You would actually have to make a diversion to go over the common itself and it wouldn't really have helped her to do so. The friend she was visiting was in Leathwaite Road, which is about the last but one road before Clapham Common Westside. She most probably walked along Wakehurst or Thurleigh Road, and would then have been almost at Clapham South Tube Station.

Hello West Hoathly, hope you are keeping well. Never realised you knew round here that well. I suspect she cut down near Tescos - the old Women's Hospital.

Now of course, around that time everyone was walking and walking a lot. I walked to Wimbledon last Summer in the heat and I won't be doing that again.

I know Leathwaite Road a bit, but more the nearby Webbs Road. One of those random village like "High Streets" you get in London. I'm up there most weeks.

Never understood the Common bit, not walking "home" from there. It's mildly irrelevant of course, but as irrelevant as Clapham Common is to the story full stop. I've just watched Channel Four News and it's just as bad as other reports.

The reporter was walking down Poynders Road and talking about the street "nearby" Sarah walked from. Er.......

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hello West Hoathly, hope you are keeping well. Never realised you knew round here that well. I suspect she cut down near Tescos - the old Women's Hospital.

Now of course, around that time everyone was walking and walking a lot. I walked to Wimbledon last Summer in the heat and I won't be doing that again.

I know Leathwaite Road a bit, but more the nearby Webbs Road. One of those random village like "High Streets" you get in London. I'm up there most weeks.

Never understood the Common bit, not walking "home" from there. It's mildly irrelevant of course, but as irrelevant as Clapham Common is to the story full stop. I've just watched Channel Four News and it's just as bad as other reports.

The reporter was walking down Poynders Road and talking about the street "nearby" Sarah walked from. Er.......

If I didn't want to go to work via Clapham Junction and fancied a morning walk, I would walk to Clapham South and used to go via those roads. It was quite a pleasant walk (about 25 minutes) and if you avoided the absolute main rush hour you could sometimes get a seat. I would then change at Stockwell and get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall when I was in the Civil Service, and then Oxford Circus since I've been at All Souls Church. You're right - Webbs Road is a nice road, with some decent places for breakfast or lunch. I quite miss the area, though circumstances have meant that I haven't been able to live there since late 2017. I was rather wistful when the girls who now live in my flat sent on a card from a friend who used to live in Keildon Road (off Webbs and Leathwaite), who has now moved to Chivalry Road, which said "from your new neighbour". Saying that, Northcote Road, which was my local high street, has lost a lot of its appeal to me. The market has virtually gone, along with most useful shops - I don't think there is a single newsagent there anymore, and most of the restaurants aren't really that great. My favourite Greek restaurant shut in 2006.

I feel I'm possibly being a bit inappropriate discussing the area like this given the context. I was very shocked by the incident, especially once Leathwaite Road was mentioned. Yes, it's inner London, and you had to take care in certain areas at night, but we hardly ever had any violent crime. Sure, you did get a murder or two in the area north of Clapham Junction, which has had a fair bit of gang and drug-related trouble, and an estate agent was gunned down at Wandsworth Roundabout some years ago, but apart from the odd mugging there isn't usually a lot of trouble further south. This really was a terrible case.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If I didn't want to go to work via Clapham Junction and fancied a morning walk, I would walk to Clapham South and used to go via those roads. It was quite a pleasant walk (about 25 minutes) and if you avoided the absolute main rush hour you could sometimes get a seat. I would then change at Stockwell and get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall when I was in the Civil Service, and then Oxford Circus since I've been at All Souls Church. You're right - Webbs Road is a nice road, with some decent places for breakfast or lunch. I quite miss the area, though circumstances have meant that I haven't been able to live there since late 2017. I was rather wistful when the girls who now live in my flat sent on a card from a friend who used to live in Keildon Road (off Webbs and Leathwaite), who has now moved to Chivalry Road, which said "from your new neighbour". Saying that, Northcote Road, which was my local high street, has lost a lot of its appeal to me. The market has virtually gone, along with most useful shops - I don't think there is a single newsagent there anymore, and most of the restaurants aren't really that great. My favourite Greek restaurant shut in 2006.

I feel I'm possibly being a bit inappropriate discussing the area like this given the context. I was very shocked by the incident, especially once Leathwaite Road was mentioned. Yes, it's inner London, and you had to take care in certain areas at night, but we hardly ever had any violent crime. Sure, you did get a murder or two in the area north of Clapham Junction, which has had a fair bit of gang and drug-related trouble, and an estate agent was gunned down at Wandsworth Roundabout some years ago, but apart from the odd mugging there isn't usually a lot of trouble further south. This really was a terrible case.

Spot on. You’re right. Both of you are being more than a bit inappropriate. Irrelevant and insensitive too.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A guilty plea to a murder charge is a rare event. It feels worse if that makes sense.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spot on. You’re right. Both of you are being more than a bit inappropriate. Irrelevant and insensitive too.

Sorry if you feel like that, but this was right nearby. I don't feel either of us are being insensitive talking about the actual locations that have been lazily reported by the press.

All WH is doing is given his experience of the location as I have. Rather than a series of badly lit backstreets it's the absolute last place you would expect something like this to happen. If I heard something in the street I'd be out there like a shot.

Luckily the Police were on to the suspect quite quickly, but it could easily have led to someone who had seen something dismissing it because they assumed it was in a different location.

It's been crazily reported as something which happened in Clapham. It neither started or ended there.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A guilty plea to a murder charge is a rare event. It feels worse if that makes sense.

It does feel worse because a trial would have teased out a few more details and I'm not talking about the ones that are hard to hear.

Now the family is left with a series of unknowns.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry if you feel like that, but this was right nearby. I don't feel either of us are being insensitive talking about the actual locations that have been lazily reported by the press.

All WH is doing is given his experience of the location as I have. Rather than a series of badly lit backstreets it's the absolute last place you would expect something like this to happen. If I heard something in the street I'd be out there like a shot.

Luckily the Police were on to the suspect quite quickly, but it could easily have led to someone who had seen something dismissing it because they assumed it was in a different location.

It's been crazily reported as something which happened in Clapham. It neither started or ended there.

Thanks for your Priti Patel apology. I know your area very well too, Hightrees House, but that is irrelevant to an awful incident.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for your Priti Patel apology. I know your area very well too, Hightrees House, but that is irrelevant to an awful incident.

I think you're being quite harsh, here. If something like this happened round my way, or where I grew up, and the media were inexplicably shifting the location across town I'd have something to say on the matter, too. :shrug:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It does feel worse because a trial would have teased out a few more details and I'm not talking about the ones that are hard to hear.

Now the family is left with a series of unknowns.

And with a NG when the evidence is strong, explanations can be advanced to point to a manslaughter conviction.

Pleading guilty in this case is a bit like gloating. Not a bit mental, just evil.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It doesn't really. The missing persons investigation started and finished very very quickly. He admitted to the abduction very early on albeit with a stupid story involving some Eastern European people traffickers.

He hired the car in his own name and it didn't take the police long to find he owned nearby land. He was even spotted there by locals.

Where the investigation will lead is how the hell he hadn't already been suspended and/or arrested before the day of the abduction.

My point entirely, he was a Police Officer, he made imho no attempt to hide himself unless he was taking “in plain site” to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I agree Clapham Gull, we won't ever get the full story. It will be covered up.

What makes you think it would be covered up? I know it's fashionable to be anti-police these days, but you do realise it is 'the police' who have investigated this, found the body, identified the offender and arrested him, gathered considerable evidence and subsequently got him charged and to court?

Doesn't sound like a cover up to me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whole thing makes absolutely no sense. Had a wife and family - didn’t know the victim and was seemingly random yet pre meditated with the hire car. Also to dump the body by their own land. Horrible.

Feel so much for the family here and of course Sarah. Having gone through a horrible seemingly long ordeal before being killed. Senseless. Personally couldn’t give a shit if he was a police officer or a butcher but the press will play on the officer thing. RIP :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What makes you think it would be covered up? I know it's fashionable to be anti-police these days, but you do realise it is 'the police' who have investigated this, found the body, identified the offender and arrested him, gathered considerable evidence and subsequently got him charged and to court?

12 officers are being investigated as part of this case.

Why wasn’t he suspended when he was known to have indecently exposed himself at least three times? He had a high security job.
There’s still a lot of questions to be answered.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
12 officers are being investigated as part of this case.

Why wasn’t he suspended when he was known to have indecently exposed himself at least three times? He had a high security job.
There’s still a lot of questions to be answered.

Too right. I still don't understand why anyone would think there would be a cover up. The police service is very good at investigating wrong doing by it's own. You only have to look at individual forces misconduct hearings or the IOPC investigation results section. Contrary to popular belief, police forces are quite open about these things as it's very important when it comes to legitimacy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Too right. I still don't understand why anyone would think there would be a cover up. The police service is very good at investigating wrong doing by it's own. You only have to look at individual forces misconduct hearings or the IOPC investigation results section. Contrary to popular belief, police forces are quite open about these things as it's very important when it comes to legitimacy.

I agree in most part, but the Met are a law unto themselves.
Why are we still waiting for the Daniel Morgan report?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

You mean they did their job ? . Like with Dalian Atkinson and monks pitiful 8 years , out in under 4 with " good behaviour " don`t make me laugh . As a father of two daughters , as i am sure many have daughters on this site , it makes me feel genuinely physically sick what this ****in parasite piece of shit did to this young girl . And just as genuinely i have ZERO belief that he will get what he deserves , if indeed he gets a full life sentence he will plead like a little b**ch for an appeal which will cost more taxpayers money and take up time . If this **** doesn`t live his time out in prison we should all ask why .

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
You mean they did their job ? . Like with Dalian Atkinson and monks pitiful 8 years , out in under 4 with " good behaviour " don`t make me laugh . As a father of two daughters , as i am sure many have daughters on this site , it makes me feel genuinely physically sick what this ****in parasite piece of shit did to this young girl . And just as genuinely i have ZERO belief that he will get what he deserves , if indeed he gets a full life sentence he will plead like a little b**ch for an appeal which will cost more taxpayers money and take up time . If this **** doesn`t live his time out in prison we should all ask why .

That's nothing to do with The Metropolitan Police, or the police in general. It's the courts/judges who dish out poor sentances. If you follow the justice system or court results for any reason you'll see that it is very common for judges to hand out sentances that most normal folk are baffled about. It's not just reserved for cases where the defendant is a police officer, as per your examples.

I disagree with you about this case. Despite his early guilty plea, i suspect he will quite rightly get a long sentance of 25-30 years minimum. It also looks likely that he'll be charged with other offences. If he gets a crap sentance it'll be because the courts are a joke, not because he is a police officer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here