Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wayne Couzens has pleaded guilty to murder of Sarah Everard

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That vigil. Like most of these things, 99% turned up wanting to be peaceful about it. A few turn up obviously spoiling for a fight. The police pile in, in the ungraceful way they do, pick off the ones easiest to pick off rather than the ones causing the problem. Tempers flare amongst the majority. Right wing press report it one way. Left wing press report it another. Massive bloody mess in the end

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The police conduct at the vigil has been ruled unlawful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57681739

The All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Democracy and the Constitution has been looking in to both cases.

The group says that both the Metropolitan Police and Avon and Somerset Police wrongly applied "ambiguous" lockdown laws and "failed to conduct a proper assessment of the proportionality of their actions".

All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs), unlike parliamentary select committees, have no official status and are informal. So, basically a talking shop of like-minded MPs. The official Independent investigation found that the Met. had acted appropriately.
The APPG's opinon is probably more popular than the findings of the official enquiry though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't comment on her behaviour because I haven't read anything about it. I know she is taking legal action against the police, and I know the police wrongly used Covid regulations to break up a vigil. Those I have backed up with links to news reports.

From what footage you saw, do you think a peaceful respectful vigil was taken over by activists from various groups?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I stand to be corrected but I believe the woman in question was on the TV the following morning all sweet and innocent and then video of her behaviour at the vigil emerged showing her far from that. Assuming her allegations are true, surely they can be easily checked and action taken against the officers concerned.

From the video I saw it looked like she refused to leave a band stand along with many others. No provocation to the police, they were just sitting there until the heavy mob stormed in.

Do you know any specific allocations?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
From the video I saw it looked like she refused to leave a band stand along with many others. No provocation to the police, they were just sitting there until the heavy mob stormed in.

Do you know any specific allocations?

Check the above video, doesn't seem like there are any problems until the activists decide to take over the bandstand then refuse to leave. Like I said, this should have been a peaceful vigil for Sarah Everard but was hijacked by activists.

Also, the organisation that took over the vigil, Sisters Uncut, don't appear to have a great reputation!!

https://thecritic.co.uk/for-the-sisters-or-the-misters/#

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From what footage you saw, do you think a peaceful respectful vigil was taken over by activists from various groups?

I heard there were some anti covid demonstrators that turned up but not that Patsy Stevenson was one of them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Check the above video, doesn't seem like there are any problems until the activists decide to take over the bandstand then refuse to leave. Like I said, this should have been a peaceful vigil for Sarah Everard but was hijacked by activists.

Also, the organisation that took over the vigil, Sisters Uncut, don't appear to have a great reputation!!

https://thecritic.co.uk/for-the-sisters-or-the-misters/#

Interesting, thanks for sharing. So the OB probably have given the rent-a-mob exactly what they wanted. Just all seems so unnecessary:facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting, thanks for sharing. So the OB probably have given the rent-a-mob exactly what they wanted. Just all seems so unnecessary:facepalm:

Agree that it was unnecessary. Protest groups should have stayed well away but showed disrespect. The Police are always going to be criticised when the protesters don't get their way and as GT49er pointed out, the independent inquiry came to the conclusion they acted proportionately.

Seems in this country that any worthwhile protest (and I'm not saying the vigil was a protest) is infiltrated by those with a more confrontational agenda.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree that it was unnecessary. Protest groups should have stayed well away but showed disrespect. The Police are always going to be criticised when the protesters don't get their way and as GT49er pointed out, the independent inquiry came to the conclusion they acted proportionately.

Seems in this country that any worthwhile protest (and I'm not saying the vigil was a protest) is infiltrated by those with a more confrontational agenda.

Yep.

My union crowed about having a banner at a 'stop the war' coalition demo in parliament square some years ago, where most of the banners had 'SWP' on them. (The SWP opposed Tony Blair, incidentaly, you left wing Blair-hating unintentional tory-supporting muppets). I contacted the union and asked when we voted on having the banner at the stop the war demo. They shit themselves and got the banner removed.

Stay.
On.
Topic.

Is what I tell my students when they have to write a report. You earn no reward for diversification and run the risk of talking bollocks. And nobody listens to talking bollocks :shrug:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60707646

The Met Police breached the rights of the organisers of a planned vigil for Sarah Everard, two judges have ruled.

(To be clear: this is about their decision not to allow an official vigil when a group tried to organise one legally, not about the impromptu one that actually occurred).

Of course the BBC article just has to include a photo and video of the woman (Patsy Stevenson) that was part of the group that disrupted the vigil.

The Met was wrong (a frequent occurrence it seems) in not allowing the peaceful vigil in the first place - but I feel for the vast majority that have their message taken over by these activists.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60707646

The Met Police breached the rights of the organisers of a planned vigil for Sarah Everard, two judges have ruled.

(To be clear: this is about their decision not to allow an official vigil when a group tried to organise one legally, not about the impromptu one that actually occurred).

And yet Dick, despite having been "resigned" by the Mayor of London, is still picking up her wedge as Commissioner of the "institutionally corrupt" Met police.

A cynic might suggest that she has been kept on merely to ensure that the party enquiry drags on beyond the May local elections.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
And yet Dick, despite having been "resigned" by the Mayor of London, is still picking up her wedge as Commissioner of the "institutionally corrupt" Met police.

A cynic might suggest that she has been kept on merely to ensure that the party enquiry drags on beyond the May local elections.

yes...that.! *****

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here