Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge rumours [Merged]

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In what way are we being unfairly subsidised? Anyone could have made this move for Bridge, and probably some will if he hasn't yet commited to us.

I could see where people made an objection over Bellamy going to Cardiff because City sent him there rather than let a rival have him, so that did have an element you could say was unfair. I don't see what is unfair about this.

Well - if Bridge scores the 30-yard screamer in the last minute of the play-off final against Palace that takes us up - I expect a lot of other supporters will be commenting on the fact that we should not be able to play players we could not afford.

We, however, will be dancing in the street.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
No. Not sorted. We need three more players. One or two centre backs plus two or one midfielders (depending on whether we play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3). I'm thinking Leyton Baines, Gareth Bale and Chris Basham...

1. Brezovan
2. Bruno
3. Bridge
4. Baines
5. Basham
6. Bale
7. Bridcutt
8. Barnes
9. Bergkamp
10. Barker
11. Buckley

It doesn't matter how good they are, just that their names begin with B.

For someone who is so 'on the ball' normally, how can you possibly forget........Greg Bobkin ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Are you saying that Hitzelsperger is signing only if Bridge joins then? :thumbsup:

:lol:

That is rumoured to be Thomas Hitzelsperger I think.

I heard the name mentioned but didn't realise it looked like he would sign - is this from a 'source' you know of (ie reliable)? Hitzel was a left back turned CM now isn't that right? Was amazing at his last prem club - maybe WHam off top of my head (in midfield)

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I'm sure my old mate Mallet (mufc) will be amused at the thought of every City fan paying 2 quid a week each so the Wayne can turn out for us.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well - if Bridge scores the 30-yard screamer in the last minute of the play-off final against Palace that takes us up - I expect a lot of other supporters will be commenting on the fact that we should not be able to play players we could not afford.

We, however, will be dancing in the street.
But we can afford £10k a week (apparently) and so can most other clubs in the Championship probably so I don't really see the issue. We weren't paying all of Jara's wages last season, was that morally wrong? Or is it only if the wages are above a certain amount, or there is a certain percentage below which it becomes immoral?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks like Forlan is taking the easy option and joining some Brazilian outfit............bugger! :(

Seriously though - I am absolutely delighted at the thought of Wayne Bridge joining us and if there is any truth in the Thomas Hitzlespurger rumour and if he is fit enough to play a season I think we will be an infinitely better team. I would still like to add someone like Burnley's Chris McCann to the midfield to give us real strength in depth and we will need to develop someone to fill the left back berth long term but you have to say that the season ahead is looking very promising.

Not going to get carried away because the teams coming up look very good indeed and those coming down have inbuilt quality (not to mention the parachute payments to afford it) while one or two of last season's under-achievers look like they are on the move in the transfer market with some pretty impressive signings). It is going to be very tough indeed with, by my reckoning, 15 or 16 clubs realistically in the shout for a top 6 slot.

If we can continue to build and find a striker with pace and aerial ability we can expect to be in the mix.

I think the biggest issue for us is to turn round our end of season form - it isn't a clean slate and we don't have momentum in our favour as we start this season so it is going to be doubly tough. A few new faces in critical areas helps enormously to create fresh momentum. It looks like Gus is addressing the problem of sides being able to pass round and through us too easily. Now he just needs to address the need to get someone up alongside/ahead of CMS.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For someone who is so 'on the ball' normally, how can you possibly forget........Greg Bobkin ?

I didn't forget him. We aven't signed him yet, and personally I don't rate him. He lacks pace, strength, control, any discernible skill, I don't think he'd add anything to the team, and if we signed him and played him it would be like playing with ten men.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
:lol:

I heard the name mentioned but didn't realise it looked like he would sign - is this from a 'source' you know of (ie reliable)? Hitzel was a left back turned CM now isn't that right? Was amazing at his last prem club - maybe WHam off top of my head (in midfield)

His contract with Wolfsburg has been torn updue to injuries, but most West Ham fans regret his departure. He has been on TS indicating that his next move will be to England.

Not sure how I feel about another 'old' crock but if we could get him fit he's exaclty what we need.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But we can afford £10k a week (apparently) and so can most other clubs in the Championship probably so I don't really see the issue. We weren't paying all of Jara's wages last season, was that morally wrong? Or is it only if the wages are above a certain amount, or there is a certain percentage below which it becomes immoral?

Good point. I will draw up a schedule.

I have no idea about Reyes - if we were not paying all his wages, well I think we should have. It felt wrong with Bellamy at Cardiff, and to me, it feels wrong here. Of course it is within the rules.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I didn't forget him. We aven't signed him yet, and personally I don't rate him. He lacks pace, strength, control, any discernible skill, I don't think he'd add anything to the team, and if we signed him and played him it would be like playing with ten men.

Has anyone seen Bobkin and Barnes in the same room ?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
VfL WolfsburgDetailspage

Salihamidzic, Chris and Hitzlsperger part company with VfL Wolfsburg
Hasan Salihamidzic (35), Chris (33) and Thomas Hitzlsperger (30) will no longer be with VfL Wolfsburg in the coming season. In discussions with VfL’s head-coach and general manager Felix Magath, the three players mutually agreed to end their time at the club. Chris and Salihamidzic both have contracts which expire on June 30th and will not be extended. With Thomas Hitzlsperger, whose contract was valid until 2014 agreed to a termination of his contract: “We mutually agreed to go our separate ways. Chris and Brazzo both wanted to re-orientate,” explained Felix Magath.

In the case of Thomas Hitzlsperger, Felix Magath granted the player’s wish: “It’s very unfortunate that, since he has been here, Thomas has gone from one injury to the next and was therefore unable to really help us last season. I have come to know and respect him as an exceptional sportsman and as a person both on and off the pitch,” said Magath. A string of injuries have led to Hitzlsperger only sporadically training with the team in recent months. Right now he is recovering from a tear to his outer knee cartridge. “After doing a lot of soul-searching, I came to the conclusion that my complete recovery must take top priority. Right now I can’t say if I can play a part in helping fulfil the high sporting demands set out by VfL Wolfsburg next season. Terminating the contract is the fairest option for all parties. I would like to heartily thank Felix Magath for the fate he has had in me,” remarked Hitzlsperger.

I can't see it myself.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
His contract with Wolfsburg has been torn updue to injuries, but most West Ham fans regret his departure. He has been on TS indicating that his next move will be to England.

Not sure how I feel about another 'old' crock but if we could get him fit he's exaclty what we need.

Wasn't Kishishev an 'old' crock when we signed him?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Good point. I will draw up a schedule.

I have no idea about Reyes - if we were not paying all his wages, well I think we should have. It felt wrong with Bellamy at Cardiff, and to me, it feels wrong here. Of course it is within the rules.
Ok, but I don't understand why. Who is being wronged?

Wasn't Kishishev an 'old' crock when we signed him?
No, he was just old.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
For FUCKS SAKE NO IT ISN'T. If in ANOTHER month's time we still haven't bought a striker, THEN you might have a point.

Let's see what the next few weeks brings then. I wish I had your confidence about Gus getting a decent striker in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here