Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford’s Managerial Merry-go-Round Experiment

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The slide at Watford occurred late last season - they lost 6 of their last 9 - beating only Fulham and Huddersfield and drawing with Southampton - they got thumped at home by West Ham in their last game. Now they may have been distracted by the FA cup (a little like Brighton) - but their hammering in the final was an embarrassment.

They spent practically nothing in the off-season and unloaded a pile of players - something like 30 between loans, releases and a small number of transfers - spent little last season either (and about 30 were loaned or released then as well) - and sold their best player to Everton. In fact you have to go back to 2016 before they spent any kind of money - and even then it was less than £50million. The strategy of the owners seems to be to bring a slew of kids - send them out on loan - hope a few hit - sell them on for big money and pocket the profit. It looks like the club is a vehicle for this - rather than the main focus of their ownership. There have been a lot of transfers and loans between the different clubs they (have) own/ed - with questionable fees.

The squad has got old and tired and Deeney is now 31/32 and not the player he once was.

If Hughton became manager he could well keep them up - but without a massive infusion of new blood and a lot of money being spent (£150+million) they would be relegation candidates next season as well. Anyone who takes the job will have a big, big task on their hands.

I’d argue £30m on one player is quite a reasonable amount to spend myself.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I’d argue £30m on one player is quite a reasonable amount to spend myself.

Sarr's transfer fee was rumoured to be anywhere between £15m and £40m - looking at all the reports it seems that the initial fee was somewhere between £15-£20m with a load of add-ons that could bring it to £30m.

In the PL even spending £30m on a player is not a lot - particularly when you only pay a fee for one other first teamer and that is about £5m - in the context of their overall spending over the past 4 seasons it is very little.

There were at least another 20 transfers of £30m or higher (there were about 50 over £15m).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sarr's transfer fee was rumoured to be anywhere between £15m and £40m - looking at all the reports it seems that the initial fee was somewhere between £15-£20m with a load of add-ons that could bring it to £30m.

In the PL even spending £30m on a player is not a lot - particularly when you only pay a fee for one other first teamer and that is about £5m - in the context of their overall spending over the past 4 seasons it is very little.

There were at least another 20 transfers of £30m or higher (there were about 50 over £15m).

You said ANY kind of money..... we’ve never spent that kind of money on a player.

Add ons paid yet or not .... it’s £30m that they have to commit and budget for.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was always going to happen, Amazed he has lasted this long to be honest, the Watford board are known to be notoriously low on patience.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
If i was Chris Hughton i would be al over Watford sign a shinny new 2-3 year contract, Get sacked after about 10 games get 2 payouts allegedly (google is your friend here) Brighton and Watford, put feet up new year, new job. What's not to like about that ?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
He isn't correct but he isn't far out.

The point isn't whether he is correct on not is it. Ok you tell me how does anyone other you (as a personal friend) and Chris know how many job offers he has had. If i was Watford i would snap him up now if it were possible.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You said ANY kind of money..... we’ve never spent that kind of money on a player.

Add ons paid yet or not .... it’s £30m that they have to commit and budget for.

You want to stay / compete in the PL you need to be spending a minimum of £50/£60million a year -

Even taking Sarr's fee at £30million - Watford have had a net spend of just over £50million over the past 4 years - about £13million a year - you will get relegated with that type of investment.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A Hughton appointment would be nice if only to give us all a proper chance to show him our appreciation at The Amex.

And then trounce them.

I text my Watford mate this morning after seeing the Mail report on CH.

Answer was no thank you......

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The point isn't whether he is correct on not is it. Ok you tell me how does anyone other you (as a personal friend) and Chris know how many job offers he has had. If i was Watford i would snap him up now if it were possible.

Why make the comment if the point doesn't matter.

JRG has defended Chris from attack in many fronts on several threads on here and although I have sort of got fed up with with arguing against some of the attack. I wasn't gonna let him flounder on a minor technicality.

Everyone should just let it go. All the arguments just keep getting re-hashed. It has become boring. Chris will take a job when he is ready to take a job

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I would love to say a big thank you from my heart for the appreciation, respect and support that I’ve felt in each moment I’ve lived in the lovely family that Watford FC is.
This is not the time to think about individual feelings, it’s time to have a collective reaction.
Peacefully, for having taken the risk needed for someone and something I love: Watford FC and football.
Hope, passion, fight, commitment, effort, hard work and luck.
Drop by drop, until we achieve it.
I wish you all the best. Stay strong!
You’ll always be in my heart.

Quique Sánchez Flores

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/first-team/qsf-open-letter-watford-fc-family

Quite sad really???

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Why make the comment if the point doesn't matter.

JRG has defended Chris from attack in many fronts on several threads on here and although I have sort of got fed up with with arguing against some of the attack. I wasn't gonna let him flounder on a minor technicality.

Everyone should just let it go. All the arguments just keep getting re-hashed. It has become boring. Chris will take a job when he is ready to take a job

What the feck are you talking about i was just asking or saying how do people know Chris has been offered 10 jobs ? He made the comment NOT me. I never doubted the former manager! So ok smart arse, prove to me he has had 10 job offers then! And i don't mean Bury. Stop being so precious stop defending when there is no attack.All i did was doubt the quote that Apparently google has said Chris H has had 10 job offers.

Its a bit ironic isn't it ? how you say nobody will let it go, yet you appear NOT to let it go. Anyone who makes a comment you don't like you use this logic (or lack of) to carry on Not letting it go .

I hope he get's the Watford job if that's what he wants. So we can all let go.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What the feck are you talking about i was just asking or saying how do people know Chris has been offered 10 jobs ? He made the comment NOT me. I never doubted the former manager! So ok smart arse, prove to me he has had 10 job offers then! And i don't mean Bury. Stop being so precious stop defending when there is no attack.All i did was doubt the quote that Apparently google has said Chris H has had 10 job offers.

You obviously didn't even read my post about the amount of job offers before going off on a tangent cursing and swearing.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Its a bit ironic isn't it ? how you say nobody will let it go, yet you appear NOT to let it go. Anyone who makes a comment you don't like you use this logic (or lack of) to carry on Not letting it go .

I hope he get's the Watford job if that's what he wants. So we can all let go.

If you actually took the time to read and take in [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] posts, you'll realise he knows more than us chumps :wave:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
You obviously didn't even read my post about the amount of job offers before going off on a tangent cursing and swearing.

As a footnote the bot won't let me swear. But let me explain, i have supported Brighton for a lot of years. I have supported each and every manager since then. But ultimately I support Brighton NOT the manager so when Mr Bloom decides that is that . i offer him my support. Because Tony Bloom as far as i know has always done the best for Brighton as so it remains, then end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here