Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wasps nest

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Buy a load of sticky ice buns and place them roughly 2 metres away from nest this will cause a distraction giving you time to prune hedge while wasps are preoccupied eating said sticky buns while vacating the nest
If you need any more sure fire tips don't hasten to PM me Laime-o

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Call in an exterminator, you need them removed permanently or the ****ers will come back, evil little *******s....

Had one in the eaves of our house. Been there 2-3 months, thousands of wasps. Local exterminator came around and puffed poison into the entrance to the nest and surrounding area. 2 hours later no wasps - fixed fee £40

We had one in the eaves of my Dad's house must have been 30 odd years ago now, dad sent me up a ladder with a puffer thing.

To this day I am terrified of ladders and wasps, it did not end satisfactorily.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Buy a load of sticky ice buns and place them roughly 2 metres away from nest this will cause a distraction giving you time to prune hedge while wasps are preoccupied eating said sticky buns while vacating the nest
If you need any more sure fire tips don't hasten to PM me Laime-o

Could u not be holding the sticky buns on perhaps a bicycle? :wave:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Call in an exterminator, you need them removed permanently or the ****ers will come back, evil little *******s....

That's not the advice we were given some years ago when we had a nest in the ground at the end of our garden. We phoned up the council to ask someone to get rid of it. They said the best thing is to leave it alone as they will up sticks at the end of the year and nest somewhere else (the wasps that is, not the council).

And they did. Disappeared after a while of their own accord and we never saw them again (the wasps that is, not the council).

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We had one in the eaves of my Dad's house must have been 30 odd years ago now, dad sent me up a ladder with a puffer thing.

To this day I am terrified of ladders and wasps, it did not end satisfactorily.

This guys feet didn't leave the ground. He had long metal tube, that reached up to the eaves, connected to a container of poison, complete with injecting mechanism. His parting words were " Make sure that you sweep your patio thoroughly, and don't come out in bare feet, as wasps have a habit of dying on their backs with their stingers in the air, as a sort of parting gift"

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for you to just dig it up and dump it somewhere else, I doubt they'd even notice.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Later in the week I've got to prune a Hawthorne hedge and bang next to it is a wasps nest in the ground... if I put a object over the hole for say 30 mins will this harm them?

your initial intuition was sound.

i suggest a plastic bucket over the hole,dont let the buggers get too drowsy though as this is when they are at their most evil.Keep whacking the bucket at regular intervals with a stick and maybe a blast or two with an airhorn.

Dont forget to strategically position a video camera to record the incident and leave instructions with a loved one of how to upload to Youtube.

have fun

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
That's not the advice we were given some years ago when we had a nest in the ground at the end of our garden. We phoned up the council to ask someone to get rid of it. They said the best thing is to leave it alone as they will up sticks at the end of the year and nest somewhere else (the wasps that is, not the council).

And they did. Disappeared after a while of their own accord and we never saw them again (the wasps that is, not the council).

Guess it depends if you have kids around and want a quick fix

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
wasps.jpg

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
When you say "will it harm them?", are you suggesting you don't want to hurt the little buggers?

Sod that, kill 'em.

I had some nesting under a tree last year that attacked when I was mowing near the tree. Wait till it gets dark (so they'll all be back in the nest) and then unleash a whole can of bug spray on them. Next morning you'll see a yellow and black carpet of death around the nest (which is rather satisfying). Took a couple of attempts to completely wipe them out, but blocking the hole (if you can) would be a good idea after spraying. Mine were nested under a wooden railroad tie, so it wasn't really practical to block it.

Teach them to temporarily inconvenience me by giving me a sore, itchy spot on my shoulder for a couple of days.

O/T: For some strange reason, Americans seem to have a problem making the distinction between bees and wasps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here