Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

• Yes

Votes: 102 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 206 66.9%

• Total voters

kano

Jun 17, 2011
The story was mentioned on NSC all day yesterday, in fact it was a sticky. There is a difference between reporting the facts and speculation, and that is why we took the decision we did.

That wasn't intended as a dig as NSC. But to suggest that the topic was censored because it wasnt fact is a bit rich, it would be a pretty boring forum if everything we posted had to be 100% fact. NSC has every right to fear litigation and protect itself but that doesnt make the situation right, we should be able to talk about whatever current events we like, this isn't north korea.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Names are on the argus web site too. Not sure that they should have done this, but it is done now. They are all innocent until proven guilty and reasonable to suspect most are possible witnesses to an alleged event.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No - Big fat no for the way they did it with pic of AMEX and club badge by every players' name in BOLD. Joke. f*** off Argus.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I would assume that the police will submit a file to the Crown prosecution Service and it is now for the CPS to decide whether to continue with a prosecution or not.

Reading Seagull

Jun 2, 2010
Reading
I would assume it would depend on the following police investigation

Cheers, just seems harsh that anyone, footballer or not, could have their name splashed all over the paper based someone else's story, which could turn out to be completely false. Ruin's their reputation, social life, career possibly - even if proven innocent.

Not saying that's the situation here at all, want to make that clear. Just a general observation on our legal system.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Serious question - If I accuse someone of sexual assualt do the police immediately arrest them or wait until they have evidence?

They would normally wait until they have enough evidence. In my daughters case they did this & in the meantime he was warned they were looking into it by one of his friends & now has misteriously dissapeared of the face of the earth.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Serious question - If I accuse someone of sexual assualt do the police immediately arrest them or wait until they have evidence?

You need Edna to clarify but they will often arrest and then gather evidence after. Hard to do it the other way round really.Obviously speaking to a couple of witnesses gives the police enough to start things up.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Sorry, already posted this on another thread before I saw this one. Re-posting here as more appropriate:

Just seen the Argus front page on the Palace BBS. How utterly ridiculous. How many other people who are arrested, suspected, convicted, assisting with enquiries or whatever, have their names printed that big on the front page? And this is the same local paper that covers our games each week. I know it's all about making money but that's going too far. I won't be buying it again so it's backfired as far as I'm concerned. They really are turning into the gutter press. They should be bloody ashamed. Yes it's news but report it the same as anything else. Clearly no loyalty or respect for the club there. Disgusting.

100% This!

The names were eventually going to filter out, but the way The Argus have gone about it is way down in the gutter.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

The Argus reported the following:-

"Sussex Police launched a major investigation and spent several months investigating the claim before making the arrests yesterday morning."

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Like a lot of people on here, shocked at the way they went about it. Massive blue font, the club badge after each name. Very poor. Don't have a problem with them reporting it really but the way they've done it is terrible. Wouldn't be surprised if they get f***ed off by the club for a while.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
of course they shouldnt of,im old enough to know this sort of stuff goes on,but its very hard to explain to a 12 year old who loves every player who pulls on a shirt,why our players are in the papers and on bill boards all over town.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Penalty Area

I have not read the Argus. It is unfair to print the names of the accused without printing the name of the complainant and her occupation. And her picture (arguable?).

It is simply not justice.

PS: It was possible to work out the names of the players with the information given.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
of course they shouldnt of,im old enough to know this sort of stuff goes on,but its very hard to explain to a 12 year old who loves every player who pulls on a shirt,why our players are in the papers and on bill boards all over town.

That's a really valid point actually.

Jan 30, 2008

just say it's a where's wally competion being run by the local press

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry, already posted this on another thread before I saw this one. Re-posting here as more appropriate:

Just seen the Argus front page on the Palace BBS. How utterly ridiculous. How many other people who are arrested, suspected, convicted, assisting with enquiries or whatever, have their names printed that big on the front page? And this is the same local paper that covers our games each week. I know it's all about making money but that's going too far. I won't be buying it again so it's backfired as far as I'm concerned. They really are turning into the gutter press. They should be bloody ashamed. Yes it's news but report it the same as anything else. Clearly no loyalty or respect for the club there. Disgusting.

this ! worked out save myself £100 in year not buying arse gas might go and treat myself ;-)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am torn because by publishing the names, others who have been named elsewhere are shown to have not been involved.

The way it was done? Reprehensible!

So, overall, a no from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here