Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

• Yes

Votes: 102 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 206 66.9%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No need to name any of the players please.

Poll to follow.

But was the argus right to have the headline in today's paper.

For those that haven't seen it the headline is:

Named: Albion stars accused of sex assault

Then a list of those named in big bold font. Followed by a very small report on the facts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I voted yes - right to name them, within current laws.

BUT

Wrong, to display them in the sensationalist manner they chose.

Wrong to word it "arrested for sex attack", rather than "in connection to sex attack". x number might be simply witnesses.

Wrong, insofar as the law should NOT allow it. (But it does).

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
No. Ban the rag from the AMEX. Hopefully all Albion fans will boycott The Arsegas too. These players can face trial by innuendo in the media. The accuser can't. Hence, their ID's should have remained secret even if most people knew exactly who they were.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

BUT

Wrong to word it "arrested for sex attack", rather than "in connection to sex attack". x number might be simply witnesses.

This. And to stop speculation over names that included people not arrested

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No. Ban the rag from the AMEX. Hopefully all Albion fans will boycott The Arsegas too. These players can face trial by innuendo in the media. The accuser can't. Hence, their ID's should have remained secret even if most people knew exactly who they were.

That's laughable. The Argus has printed the facts, as it has every right to do. It's not suggested or inferred anywhere that they might be guilty or innocent. People might do that in their own minds but that's their problem, and they would do so whether or not the players were named.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wrong.

Shouldn't be allowed to print any names until somebody is charged. As HKFC says, some of them are probably just witnesses.

Especially wrong to do it in the despicable way the paper has.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Your point is aimed more at the way the law is rather than the role of the paper.

I must agree with HKFC - his points match my view

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

BUT

Totally agree. In addition, stops speculation about players who are not involved.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes. Most of us have ideas based on their ages and have been trying to find out via other means. Many will want to know if the players we are supporting are the ones who were arrested or not. I would be amazed if many on here who wanted it kept secret didn't know their names. They've been bailed for two months, so this will hang around for ages. Rumours would continue to fly around, for example the first tweet to state the names of the people arrested included two players who were NOT arrested - this spread to other sites and if those rumours continue it would be terrible for their reputation and probably their personal lives - that cannot have been allowed to continue.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Wrong.

Shouldn't be allowed to print any names until somebody is charged. As HKFC says, some of them are probably just witnesses.

Especially wrong to do it in the despicable way the paper has.

I agree, the players concerned will be harrassed by various people including the press.

Nothing should be printed until charges are brought and even then they could still be innocent.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

BUT

Exactly this

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
That's laughable. The Argus has printed the facts, as it has every right to do. It's not suggested or inferred anywhere that they might be guilty or innocent. People might do that in their own minds but that's their problem, and they would do so whether or not the players were named.

Well, that's not quite true. The layout is sensationalist which is unhelpful. And some of the phrasology is very open to misinterpretation. They have been (sadly understandably) sensationalist.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
These players can face trial by innuendo in the media. The accuser can't. Hence, their ID's should have remained secret even if most people knew exactly who they were.

Wrong.

Shouldn't be allowed to print any names until somebody is charged. .

The fact that the law is as it is, is not the Argus' fault though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The editor can still have some morals though.

Yes legally they can do it, but it doesn't make it right.

Its a massive local story. they were never NOT going to print it. I'm very uncomfortable however, with the choice of wording of the headline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here