Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was selling Sanchez the worst decision the club has made in years ? The Poll !

Well ?

• Total voters

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Pretty impressive, shame he let his ego run away with him when dropped, should have got his head down and applied himself. He might still be here and no 1
He was a talented keeper and was only going to get better - I think he maybe he lost confidence after the Palace fumble - he started to be dropped not long after that iir. That was one of his main problems, when he made a mistake, he couldn’t shake it off, it affected the rest of his match performance - so yes, when ‘ego’ takes a tumble the bigger it is, the harder the fall. That makes for a very inconsistent season. I think it was time for him to move on though - relationships had clearly broken down.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
119 votes to 2 presently.

Hilario :lolol:
Well, the results probably reflect that it is an ill-thought out poll that asks a completely different question to the one recently debated.

Of course it was the right decision to sell because by that point the relationship had broken down irretrievably, so it was best for all concerned.

What got us to that point is more worthy of discussion. This is a player who’d been with the club since he was 15, had been out on multiple loans to develop and was widely regarded on here on, and in the wider game as a significant talent. Although a lot of people on here seem to be rowing back on that now.

No doubt Sanchez could have handled it better but then we’ve all worked for people we think are arseholes at one time or another. When that’s the case it’s usually better to leave. If you can accomplish that plus engineer a x3 increase in salary and a £250k cash signing on fee, then happy days I guess.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, the results probably reflect that it is an ill-thought out poll that asks a completely different question to the one recently debated.

Of course it was the right decision to sell because by that point the relationship had broken down irretrievably, so it was best for all concerned.

What got us to that point is more worthy of discussion. This is a player who’d been with the club since he was 15, had been out on multiple loans to develop and was widely regarded on here on, and in the wider game as a significant talent. Although a lot of people on here seem to be rowing back on that now.

No doubt Sanchez could have handled it better but then we’ve all worked for people we think are arseholes at one time or another. When that’s the case it’s usually better to leave. If you can accomplish that plus engineer a x3 increase in salary and a £250k cash signing on fee, then happy days I guess.
……….more like £2.5m I suspect

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Give it a fcuking rest. Your constant digs (what’s it been, over a year now?) , passive aggressive comments and stalking across multiple threads is just getting creepy.

Well done - you got a reaction from me.

Enjoy having a :tosser: over it because it obviously turns you on 🙂

Can I assure you, that after having six children , I really don't need to have a wank about a post of yours. How pathetic you are. You love to post endlessly on here....but not at all any good at accepting justified criticism are you ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Steele’s distribution for RDZ ball was a big factor in securing 6th.

A worldie by Sanchez is balanced by his clangers on crosses, inferior distribution and childish inability to put the club first at a critical time for us mid season. Great managers such as Fergie and Klopp have dealt with indiscipline like that in a clinical manner, RDZ dealt with the baby correctly.
Palace aside, you'll have to provide some evidence for this claim. Sanchez utterly transformed our defensive set-up by the way he dominated his penalty area in the air.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Dont start denying the will of the people or our very own citizen smith will be on to you 😀

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I will simply say the same as I said on the other thread.

No. He turned out to be a dickhead.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
You're missing the point about the shoot out. Even the most avid Steele fan/Sanchez hater recognises Sanchez could sometimes make worldie saves that Steele couldn't - and he did so at Wembley; that kept us in that semi-final. With Steele, on that occasion, there would almost certainly not have been a shoot out.

Selling him when we did was the right decision - the only one left really - but some decisions leading up to that point - less so.
But Steele's better distribution might have led us to having better control of the game and not giving up those chances.

I specifically remember Sanchez putting a few passes into touch by mis-hitting them.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Palace aside, you'll have to provide some evidence for this claim. Sanchez utterly transformed our defensive set-up by the way he dominated his penalty area in the air.
Liverpool 0-1 Brighton - Feb 2021. One of the biggest non-goal cheers I've let out.
1710279530499.png

Yet also - October 2022, 3-3 (RDZ first game)
1710279774981.png

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Steele’s distribution for RDZ ball was a big factor in securing 6th.

A worldie by Sanchez is balanced by his clangers on crosses, inferior distribution and childish inability to put the club first at a critical time for us mid season. Great managers such as Fergie and Klopp have dealt with indiscipline like that in a clinical manner, RDZ dealt with the baby correctly.
Sanchez was the most dominant keeper in the Prem, proven by statistics on percentage of crosses claimed. He made barely a handful of clangers. He is for sure a better all-round keeper than Bart or Steele but he's a dickhead who threw his toys out the pram so the only sensible option was to get rid. Maybe RDZ could have handled him better but we really don't know the details of the falling-out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez was the most dominant keeper in the Prem, proven by statistics on percentage of crosses claimed.
Would question 'the most dominant', but was good at this.
He made barely a handful of clangers.
A bit more than that maybe, but not an exceptional amount by PL GK standards.
He is for sure a better all-round keeper than Bart or Steele
Agree
but he's a dickhead
GKs are a breed apart, often individual, eccentric, and non-conforming; mostly the good ones........
who threw his toys out the pram after he was thrown under the bus,,,
corrected for you!
so the only sensible option was to get rid.
Yes, when it had been allowed to get to that stage, it was.
Maybe RDZ could have handled him better
Voting for yes here (sacrilege, but I don't care)
but we really don't know the details of the falling-out.
No, we (all of us) don't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sanchez was the most dominant keeper in the Prem, proven by statistics on percentage of crosses claimed. He made barely a handful of clangers. He is for sure a better all-round keeper than Bart or Steele but he's a dickhead who threw his toys out the pram so the only sensible option was to get rid. Maybe RDZ could have handled him better but we really don't know the details of the falling-out.

2022/23 stats, Sanchez didn’t dominate on that stat.

Distribution, vital to RDZ ball, Steele topped the entire PL. Sanchez near the bottom.

IMG_1764.png
IMG_1767.png

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Would question 'the most dominant', but was good at this.

A bit more than that maybe, but not an exceptional amount by PL GK standards.

Agree

GKs are a breed apart, often individual, eccentric, and non-conforming; mostly the good ones........

corrected for you!

Yes, when it had been allowed to get to that stage, it was.

Voting for yes here (sacrilege, but I don't care)

No, we (all of us) don't.
Statistically the most dominant as measured by the percentage of crosses claimed.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
2022/23 stats, Sanchez didn’t dominate on that stat.

Distribution, vital to RDZ ball, Steele topped the entire PL. Sanchez near the bottom.

View attachment 178602View attachment 178603
The stats that I saw forcrossesclaimed showed Sanchez at over 17% and top of the list. Was possibly for 21/22.
Edit: Was for 20/21
19/20 Ranking: N/A

20/21 Ranking: 16th

Before the the 20/21 season, Sánchez had never played above the League One level. But in a little over a year as a starter, the Spaniard has been nothing short of exceptional. He has the best cross-claim percentage in the EPL and ranks among the leaders for number of sweeper actions per 90 minutes.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He didn’t, see the table above.
19/20 Ranking: N/A

20/21 Ranking: 16th

Before the the 20/21 season, Sánchez had never played above the League One level. But in a little over a year as a starter, the Spaniard has been nothing short of exceptional. He has the best cross-claim percentage in the EPL and ranks among the leaders for number of sweeper actions per 90 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here