Votes: 42 17.1%
  • No - foul on Dunk first

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • No - F**king Hoops

Votes: 51 20.8%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

A worse decision than today was against Calde, who tackled a Bournemouth player, & put the ball out for a corner. Hoops awarded them a penalty.

I remember that, hooper has always given us decisions where they are not important middle third of pitch, but he seems to have a knack of finding some dodgy decision in our defensive third.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But we're 17 games into the season and it's the first decision of its type. If you want to stamp it out tell all the clubs all the refs have been instructed to clamp down, then if you get penalised at least you were warned.

This incident reminds me of the time Albion played Plymouth away and keeper Rabi Shabaan was done for handling outside of his area when he punted upfield from hand. Yet every keeper does what he did and I've observed plenty step over the line before they throw the ball up to kick it. Unfortunately for the Albion - as with today - the ref decided to be pedantic.

I agree with you. The problem with refereeing is inconsistency.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Albion tinted glasses aside, it was a penalty. Dunk held his shirt whilst he rose above the attacher, which is a foul. Plain and simple. Both players were holding each other to begin with, then Dunk committed the foul as he held onto the shirt more forcefully.

Hard to disagree with this -he was asking for trouble by pulling that shirt so violently. I can understand folk getting cross, as you see it so often, when it does not get penalised, and of course the fact that it was Hooper is also in the mix. But they are side issues, sadly! He also did exactly the same in the second half, which was very risky.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There is a football cliche "If the ref gave a penalty every time that happened the score would finish 10-all." The cliche arose from incidents exactly like this. It happens at every corner in every match every week in every division.

The refs decision is totally inconsistent with other refs. I find the inconsistency more infuriating than Burnley actually scoring the pen because when we get this ref again he could do the same thing again.

This.

Hoops thinks he's "special", not only with this but also with his interpretation of foot up. No other ref in the league would have given that, Was Dunk fouling? Yes. Was he being impeded? Yes. Get on with the game like every other one,

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It was a penalty. If you pull the shirt of the opponent in such a blatant way, in the box, you can have no complains. I don't understand why Refs don't take a harder line on shirt puling. If they did, it would stop very quickly.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It was Hoops! He started the season in the PL but quickly got slung out when they realised he wasn't up to it. Should he be refereeing in the professional game? Probably not.

Dunk can consider himself a little unlucky as both players were fouling but it was crass stupidity for Dunk to almost pull the shirt off of the Burnley player's back. Hoops was never going to need much of an excuse to give a penalty against us, and Dunk made it so easy for him.

Unbelievably, Dunk then did exactly the same thing in the second half but got away with it.

And they say most professional footballers are a bit thick! Really?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Naivete once again from Dunk. Under Sami, Dunk became immense but he has not developed at all since then - the lapses are now a standard part of his game which he is either unwilling or unable to deal with. Uwe and Greer as our centre backs please until Dunk starts to learn. He's too experienced for the 'still young' excuse to wash anymore.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's not blame Hooper for this - naivete once again from Dunk. Under Sami, Dunk became immense but he has not developed at all since then. Uwe and Greer as our centre backs please until Dunk starts to learn. He's too experienced for the 'still young' excuse to wash anymore.
No, let's blame Hooper for this completely and utterly.

Dunk was undoubtedly naiive, but it was still a very harsh decision that directly affected the result and was completely avoidable. Hooper should have blown up as the kick was taken, had a quick word with both of them, then carried on with the game. It would have taken 15 seconds.

Utterly shìt game-management from one of the poorest refs in the league.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
No, let's blame Hooper for this completely and utterly.

Dunk was undoubtedly naiive, but it was still a very harsh decision that directly affected the result and was completely avoidable. Hooper should have blown up as the kick was taken, had a quick word with both of them, then carried on with the game. It would have taken 15 seconds.

Utterly shìt game-management from one of the poorest refs in the league.

Sorry Simster - edited my post before I saw your reply. Trouble is that Hooper is by no means the worst referee - I thought that the penalty aside (and I'm in the 'if it had been an Albion forward, definite pen' camp) he was ok, much like the game he reffed at the Amex

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think it was a fair decision. Stripping an opponent is usually considered an offence. Yes, it is unusual to see a penalty given for a bit of pulling of garments, but this was excessive. A silly move by Dunk. We'd be peeved and demanding a penalty if we saw any of our players brutally disrobed in such a way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe that people are even considering that it wasnt a penalty move it up the other end with Keane doing it to BZ what would you say?

Harsh in the light of modern football and what usually happens but 100% correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here