Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walter Palmer - New Public Enemy No 1? / Cecil the lion

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I wouldn't wish a horrible, lingering, painful, debilitating death on anyone but if I had to list in order the people I'd hope not to, this piece of pondlife would be right down among the poachers and nonces.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It is extraordinary, the extent to which large numbers of Americans like killing wildlife for fun still. And yes, I know it's not all of them or even just them, right David Cameron? But I find it impossible to imagine here that you'd have an entire TV channel being given over to fat blokes in camouflage gear killing deer, as you do over there. Utterly vile.

The point is this: guns really only ever serve one purpose. And if you have guns around you, then sooner or later even the fluffiest, cuddliest peacenik (like myself) is inevitably going to become slightly curious as to what actually happens when you pull that trigger for real. Anyone would. So if you're not a fluffy, cuddly peacenik - and most people aren't - that trigger finger is going to get itchy. And this fella's an extreme case, clearly and rich enough to think he can do whatever he likes.

Mad.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It is extraordinary, the extent to which large numbers of Americans like killing wildlife for fun still. And yes, I know it's not all of them or even just them, right David Cameron? But I find it impossible to imagine here that you'd have an entire TV channel being given over to fat blokes in camouflage gear killing deer, as you do over there. Utterly vile.

The point is this: guns really only ever serve one purpose. And if you have guns around you, then sooner or later even the fluffiest, cuddliest peacenik (like myself) is inevitably going to become slightly curious as to what actually happens when you pull that trigger for real. Anyone would. So if you're not a fluffy, cuddly peacenik - and most people aren't - that trigger finger is going to get itchy. And this fella's an extreme case, clearly and rich enough to think he can do whatever he likes.

Mad.

I believe he actually used a crossbow to kill this lion, but your point is essentially correct. The attitude to lethal weapons in the USA is insane.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It sickens me how they refer to hunting as being a "sport".

Point of order - nothing can be called a sport when one side doesn't even know its playing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cecil the lion

It's one of the big stories of the day: American dentist kills lion.

Turns out the lion, called Cecil, was a bit of a local celebrity of sorts and the dentist has expressed his regret, stating that be believed he was on an authorised and legal hunt.

"I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion,"

More here > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...72273290075_10155849056555075?SThisFB?SThisFB (and in many other places)

I don't get it, I really don't. He regrets killing the lion because he is, supposedly, a nice one but he was quite happy to shoot, in cold blood, a lesser lion in the name of fun/sport/whatever.

Is there anyone at all on here who can find any justification for heading out to Africa to shoot a lion?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's one of the big stories of the day: American dentist kills lion.

Turns out the lion, called Cecil, was a bit of a local celebrity of sorts and the dentist has expressed his regret, stating that be believed he was on an authorised and legal hunt.

"I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion,"

More here > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...72273290075_10155849056555075?SThisFB?SThisFB (and in many other places)

I don't get it, I really don't. He regrets killing the lion because he is, supposedly, a nice one but he was quite happy to shoot, in cold blood, a lesser lion in the name of fun/sport/whatever.

Is there anyone at all on here who can find any justification for heading out to Africa to shoot a lion?

I find it abhorrent, senseless and cannot fathom why anyone could get pleasure out of it.

But I also find myself feeling a sense of hypocrisy about why I should feel particularly outraged when someone posts a picture of a big game hunter and its cull whilst quickly liking a later post of a mate showing of a caught and killed fish ( accepting many might be put back ), or a quick swerve to avoid a road kill animal which rarely registers with me.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Tough one to get your head around, it really is. Either:

He is expressing regret, because he does realise that it's the right thing to do publically, but inside he enjoys hunting, enjoys the kill and probably doesn't see the problem.
OR, people like that enjoy the hunt of a wild animal that no other human has a relationship with, but because it was a much-loved local "celebrity" it now feels like he has butchered someones pet.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not only killed the lion, but the cubs aren't going to survive either.

The six cubs of Cecil will now be killed by the new male lion in the pride, Johnny Rodrigues added, in order to encourage the lionesses to mate with him.

"That's how it works... it's in the wild. It's nature taking its course," he added.
----------------------
So this dick has killed 7 lions in the name of sport.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As for how ANYONE can get pleasure from such a pursuit, is completely beyond me. Having said that, I think driving out into the wild on a "hunt" is a fairly common leisure activity in parts of America.

Then again, I don't understand the attraction of a grouse shoot, which is a very English pastime, so I'm not picking on the Yanks here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two Zimbabwean men - a professional hunter and a farm owner - have been charged with poaching offences because the group did not have a hunting permit.
They could face up to 15 years in prison in Zimbabwe if they are found guilty. They are due to appear in court on Wednesday.

They're as bad as the dentist, selling off their 'heritage'.

We, as humans appear to be top of the predators tree. All throughout the natural world a bigger predator gobbles up or rips to pieces the weaker ones. This is the world we live in. We can only hope that in the near future a bigger predator comes along and picks off the dentist as he sits looking at his prize kills.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Am I allowed to have a moderate view on this? Something along the lines of "I hope he gets found guilty of hunting illegally and is given a sensible punishment like a hefty fine and perhaps a short prison sentence".

Or do I have to wish a violent and painful death upon him?

Not sure what the etiquette is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here