Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waitrose Shoppers Not Happy

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Indeed. Waitrose are doing their very best to discourage readers of The Independent, The Sun, The Mirror and The Express.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/mywaitrose/newspaper_offer.html

Newspaper Offer

Spend £5 and receive money off your shopping when you buy selected newspapers.

How do I get money off my shopping?

Simply pick up your copy of The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Scottish Daily Mail, The Scottish Mail on Sunday, The Guardian or The Observer and swipe your myWaitrose card. The value of your newspaper will automatically be deducted from your shopping. You will need to spend £5 to qualify but this can include the price of the newspaper.

oooo it used to be only the Telegraph and the Nazi. I can now fulfil my lefty reading for free. Whoop.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Maybe this has passed me by, but are there really types of people who go to Waitrose to avoid a type of person? Not in Storrington that's for sure, there isn't anywhere else to shop, it's the only supermarket.

There are. It's the reason for the article.

I know people who can't believe that I choose to shop at Asda. They wouldn't be seen dead there.

Sad but true.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Except that the hyper-inflated prices they charge for everything else means you'll still get less for your money.

TBH they're not as bad as they used to be. Lots of the own brand range compares favourably with Tesco and Sains.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254878482

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--8281-essential+Waitrose+penne

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain.../pasta_and_noodles/sainsburys_penne_500g.html

I used this example as it was the last thing I bought in Waitrose.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Call yourself a Waitrose customer? I wouldn't be seen dead reading the Independent. I read this story in the Daily Telegraph as all proper Waitrose customers did.... ;)

I beg your pardon?

I chanced upon the item in my copy of the Grauniad.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Maybe this has passed me by, but are there really types of people who go to Waitrose to avoid a type of person? Not in Storrington that's for sure, there isn't anywhere else to shop, it's the only supermarket.

In this instance maybe people have moved to Storrington to avoid a certain type of person? ???

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Waitrose are taking over the co-op in Hove. Residents won't be happy with any Chavs leaving their trolleys in Hove park and kids in the play area.

I am happy to admit owning such a card and popping in on a fairly regular basis for my free coffee (or tea) and small yummy shorcake that accompanies. Must be a godsend (other deities are available) for those who like their coffee take outs as you could save yourself £2.10 a day by taking advantage of the offer if you have a Waitrose handy.

A few other points:-

• I am quite happy to shop at Waitrose and Lidl as well and know several others who are happy to admit doing likewise.
  • Lidl offers excellent value if you are prepared to try unfamiliar brands. For example their own brand rich tea biscuits are superior IMHO to McVities and are nearly 1/4 the price.
  • Waitrose have some superb bargains. Indian ready meals 2 x main, 2 x sides and a rice currently £10 and you get 10% of that with your card - that is 10% off the full price of around £14! The hungry Pottings are big fans of their Chicken Tikka which tastes that bit nice than other ready meal brands.

waitrose is facing a middle-class revolt from shoppers who claim that its free coffee and tea are attracting the wrong type of customers.

The high-end supermarket currently offers a free cup of coffee or tea for customers holding a my waitrose loyalty card - even if they don't make a purchase.

Angry shoppers used facebook and twitter to vent their frustration, arguing that handing out free drinks is turning waitrose into a soup kitchen and the stores are packed with less affluent customers, which is putting some customers off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...lt-over-free-coffee-loyalty-card-9030195.html

i wish poor people just **** off and shop at lidl? I certainly don't want to see twats that look like the jeremy kyle audience when i'm pushing my trolley around. Waitrose already have a token system where customers can elect to donate to up to three needy causes each week, there is no need to give the poor a free brew as well - the salvation army can do that.

It would be sad if waitrose becomes another sainsburys, which used to be a lovely shopping experience but is now less exclusive and frankly full of free range chavs and the poor.

Just wait till the waitrose opens next the dog track,a real culture clash on the cards:blush:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am happy to admit owning such a card and popping in on a fairly regular basis for my free coffee (or tea) and small yummy shorcake that accompanies. Must be a godsend (other deities are available) for those who like their coffee take outs as you could save yourself £2.10 a day by taking advantage of the offer if you have a Waitrose handy.

A few other points:-

• I am quite happy to shop at Waitrose and Lidl as well and know several others who are happy to admit doing likewise.
  • Lidl offers excellent value if you are prepared to try unfamiliar brands. For example their own brand rich tea biscuits are superior IMHO to McVities and are nearly 1/4 the price.
  • Waitrose have some superb bargains. Indian ready meals 2 x main, 2 x sides and a rice currently £10 and you get 10% of that with your card - that is 10% off the full price of around £14! The hungry Pottings are big fans of their Chicken Tikka which tastes that bit nice than other ready meal brands.

Ah, the Waitrose/Lidl combo, beloved by the residents of Notting Hill, Kensington and Chelsea.

Lidl's car parks are full of 'Clelsea tractors' these days. People who shop at Asda think Lidl is below them, whilst those who shop at Waitrose love the varied products that they can get there. In most cities the in-store bakery at Lidl is second to none!

And the Asda equivalent of that curry deal you mention costs £6.

Ah, the Waitrose/Lidl combo, beloved by the residents of Notting Hill, Kensington and Chelsea.

Lidl's car parks are full of 'Clelsea tractors' these days. People who shop at Asda think Lidl is below them, whilst those who shop at Waitrose love the varied products that they can get there. In most cities the in-store bakery at Lidl is second to none!

And the Asda equivalent of that curry deal you mention costs £6.

.....plus £5 petrol and time to our nearest ASDA. Our Lidl has a bakery opening in the Spring, sounds as though it will be worth the wait. Their ob chocolate is nice as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here