[Albion] Vile racist language in the South Stand

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Okay let's pretend we can't make a distinction between excusing something and explaining it . . .

What do you mean by dumbing down of autism?

How does using it as an excuse make that happen?
There's some very good advice out there about arguing with idiots. I'm going to heed that advice.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sorry to hear of your children’s autistic illnesses, it must incredibly tough to manage at times - but while enlightening and informative your comments don’t address the issue of autistic children or adults saying racially abusive things (or using sexually inappropriate language) as a genuine symptom of their autism which can not be controlled by discipline/coercion or imposing behavioural boundaries.

People seem to be repeatedly missing this point. The facts are not available as to the nature of the child’s autistic symptoms in the OP’s Amex experience so one can not make presumptions about it.

I do agree though, that as carers/parents - a level of responsibility is required to determine whether particular environments are suitable for their particular offspring - and that should be the case regardless of whether they have mental health illnesses or not.

Perhaps this will be helpful
Firstly I am not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me or my children. I embrace their autism as it makes them unique in the same way the traits and personality of a neurotypical child makes them unique. Also autism isn't an illness, calling it an illness implies it can be cured or in some way treated with medicine. It cannot be treated, it is a life long disorder that requires support.

Secondly, if you actually read my post you would see I wasn't looking to comment on the specifics of what happened in the event according to the OP because I wasn't there so I only have one side of the story. Yes I said I wouldn't allow my sons to behave in the way described by the OP but that meant as in anti-social behaviour rather than a comment of the specifics of what he claims was said.

What I was trying to do is explain things from the point of view of someone who has autistic children and how I go about things to try and help them and better explain some of the other comments made on this thread and try to educate people what living with autism or being the parent of an autistic child is actually like, and maybe educate a few people (like those that think its an illness).

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Firstly I am not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me or my children. I embrace their autism as it makes them unique in the same way the traits and personality of a neurotypical child makes them unique. Also autism isn't an illness, calling it an illness implies it can be cured or in some way treated with medicine. It cannot be treated, it is a life long disorder that requires support.

Secondly, if you actually read my post you would see I wasn't looking to comment on the specifics of what happened in according to the OP because I wasn't there so I only have one side of the story. What I was trying to do is explain things from the point of view of someone who has autistic children and how I go about things to try and better explain some of the other comments made on this thread and try to educate people what living with autism or being the parent of an autistic child is actually like, and maybe educate a few people (like those that think its an illness).
Great post and I fully agree. I am sure the illness thing wasn't meant how it sounded but it needs clarifying.

Fwiw I always say I wouldn't take away my kid's autism (gives me a handy excuse for their behaviour - which is important 😂). Their ADHD maybe and their anxiety, most definitely. As you say I also don't need anyone feeling sorry for me, my kids are freaking awesome and have a gift of being able to see the world differently.

We are neurodiverse and proud of it around these parts.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Secondly, if you actually read my post you would see I wasn't looking to comment on the specifics of what happened in according to the OP because I wasn't there so I only have one side of the story. What I was trying to do is explain things from the point of view of someone who has autistic children and how I go about things to try and better explain some of the other comments made on this thread and try to educate people what living with autism or being the parent of an autistic child is actually like, and maybe educate a few people (like those that think its an illness).
Very well put, across both posts.

So much anger on this thread - the mere mention of autism seems to reduce some folk to the logic of a rabid dog.

Thanks for the considered explanation and insight.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nothing controversial, just a recognition of how funny it is that someone thinks that what their wife does is enough of an explanation. Regardless of the post in question.

There seem to be a lot of highly triggered folk here due to what sounds like appalling behaviour that was not addressed by the child's guardians.

And no, I'm not interested in what your wife thinks about that. Sorry if that's controversial
It isn’t. Perhaps you should reread my post. If someone has worked in the field of mental health for 30 years and is an expert who presents at conferences on the subject and I am married to her then it’s worth a mention in reply to someone who doubts it exists. I have also worked in this area for a while now. You by contrast of course are self confessedly ignorant about it and it is good to have that context.

Last edited:

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I have 2 autistic children and reading this thread makes me really worry for them and how people perceive them.
It also shows how poorly educated some people are on this, but yet are happy to spout such disgusting views.
We find as a family most people are lovely and very accommodating but this shows how far we have to go with showing that not all disabilities are visible.
If you don’t have any factual knowledge or lived experience of the subject, either educate yourself on it or keep your horrible opinions to yourself.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It isn’t. Perhaps you should reread my post. If someone has worked in the field of mental health for 30 years and is an expert who presents at conferences on the subject and I am married to her then it’s worth a mention in reply to someone who doubts it exists. I have also worked in this area for a while now. You by contrast of course are self confessedly ignorant about it and it is good to have that context.
"What an ignorant post. My wife works with autistic adults."

That was the post. That was it.

Struggling to understand why you are so triggered and why you think I am 'self confessed ignorant about it', whatever it is.

Does the mention of autism always render you so rabid?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Have you ever mentioned that to anyone who has questioned whether comedy exists ?
Is someone suggesting that autism doesn't exist? Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm struggling to keep up with your weird rants to be honest. No idea what triggered it but will leave you to it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"What an ignorant post. My wife works with autistic adults."

That was the post. That was it.

Struggling to understand why you are so triggered and why you think I am 'self confessed ignorant about it', whatever it is.

Does the mention of autism always render you so rabid?
What an odd post. Perhaps you could give some examples of this so called ‘rabid’ posting ? I have been very measured on this thread and tried to give the perspective of someone actually trained in this field. You have quoted my post correctly but the meaning seems pretty clear to everyone but you. The poster questioned whether autism exists in adults. I answered with a one line that my wife works with autistic adults. One would have to be particularly obtuse to fail to understand the connection between working with autistic adults and them existing. Why would anyone working in neurodiversity bother working with people who are not actually neurodiverse but just anti social,as suggested by the other poster ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is someone suggesting that autism doesn't exist? Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm struggling to keep up with your weird rants to be honest. No idea what triggered it but will leave you to it.
That person queried whether autism exists in adults. Hence my reply. Goodness, do you actually read discussions in which you take part ? I agree that you are struggling to keep up.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What an odd post. Perhaps you could give some examples of this so called ‘rabid’ posting ? I have been very measured on this thread and tried to give the perspective of someone actually trained in this field. You have quoted my post correctly but the meaning seems pretty clear to everyone but you. The poster questioned whether autism exists in adults. I answered with a one line that my wife works with autistic adults. One would have to be particularly obtuse to fail to understand the connection between working with autistic adults and them existing. Why would anyone working in neurodiversity bother working with people who are not actually neurodiverse but just anti social,as suggested by the other poster ?

I feel like I have drifted into the Twilight zone with this thread. 😂

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
It also shows how poorly educated some people are on this
I think this is a really good point. And so true.

I myself wasn’t, but I’ve got a non verbal autistic cousin (he’s 4) and before he was born had I seen a young kid in ear defenders and stimming/hand flapping I would’ve been genuinely confused.

I took it upon myself to educate myself on autism, and especially what noise sounds like to someone in my cousins position and it’s heartbreaking.

I was only saying to my uncle (cousins dad obviously) recently I wish there was more education around autism. I would be none the wiser (ignorantly / naively perhaps) if my cousin hadn’t been born.

He’s started school recently and is doing really well… love him to bits!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I myself wasn’t, but I’ve got a non verbal autistic cousin (he’s 4) and before he was born had I seen a young kid in ear defenders and stimming/hand flapping I would’ve been genuinely confused.

I took it upon myself to educate myself on autism, and especially what noise sounds like to someone in my cousins position and it’s heartbreaking.

I was only saying to my uncle (cousins dad obviously) recently I wish there was more education around autism. I would be none the wiser (ignorantly / naively perhaps) if my cousin hadn’t been born.

Glad to hear he is doing well.

My old school did some great work teaching kids about neurodiversity. It was really powerful to give kids the knowledge to understand each other. Some great resources around too.

Education is the way forward IMHO.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It's great that you've taken it upon yourself to educate and learn more on autism, if only more people would do that. With the support your family are giving your cousin i'm sure he will do brilliantly at school.

As I said in my other post there is a big lack of understanding of autism in society. Even as a parent I've struggled to understand it, when my youngest was first diagnosed we struggled with finding support etc, but got involved with a local charity for SEN kids and this helped us massively. It wasn't until I had custody full time that I really got to understand things at a decent level and I found a couple of very informative courses ran locally ( as I was working full time before that their mother did the courses but wasn't forthcoming with sharing what she'd learnt). Unfortunately since Covid i've struggled to find similar courses, a refresher is always good, and meeting other parents and sharing and discussing ideas etc is a great way of learning coping techniques too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's great that you've taken it upon yourself to educate and learn more on autism, if only more people would do that.

As I said in my other post there is a big lack of understanding of autism in society. Even as a parent I've struggled to understand it, when my youngest was first diagnosed we struggled with finding support etc, but got involved with a local charity for SEN kids and this helped us massively. It wasn't until I had custody full time that I really got to understand things at a decent level and I found a couple of very informative courses ran locally ( as I was working full time before that their mother did the courses but wasn't forthcoming with sharing what she'd learnt). Unfortunately since Covid i've struggled to find similar courses, a refresher is always good, and meeting other parents and sharing and discussing ideas etc is a great way of learning coping techniques too.
Maybe we need a thread where we can share resources, courses and videos?

Dr Ross Greene's books are awesome. As and educator, Lost in school is incredible.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Jesus Christ, what a load of genuine drivel, are you on crack or something? Why are all the prominent Australians on this forum absolutely mental? This genuinely might be the most unhinged post I’ve ever seen on here and that takes some doing.
@BadFish a notable exception.

What is it about Australia that spawns these posters: spider bites, too much sun, the coriolis effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports