Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

View from the PALACE all is not well it seems....

I know we are rivals and stuff, but "doesnt seem to be too attractive vacancy" is just plain silly. Whether you like it or not, a young team in 4th spot of the championship is a attractive vacancy for many many managers out there, whether it was Palace, BHA or Rochdale!!

You can't polish a turd.

Ask yourself why The Legend that is Freedman walked out to go to a club 14 places below you stating they had the better chance of being promoted as he would be given the "Tools" to do it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I know we are rivals and stuff, but "doesnt seem to be too attractive vacancy" is just plain silly. Whether you like it or not, a young team in 4th spot of the championship is a attractive vacancy for many many managers out there, whether it was Palace, BHA or Rochdale!!

Most new managers are appointed when a team is in a form slump. It's not typical for a manager to take over a team in hot form and all the pressure that comes with keeping that going rather than re-moulding a team in your own image. Plus there are behind the scenes shenanigans going on there - I can't see Freedman having left otherwise. So maybe not as attractive a vacancy as face value might suggest.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
You can't polish a turd.

Ask yourself why The Legend that is Freedman walked out to go to a club 14 places below you stating they had the better chance of being promoted as he would be given the "Tools" to do it.

Well you would think so..but reading both sides, it seems money and a "bigger" club were the main reason. Also Freedman winning the MOM seems to have gone straight to his head. But a win ratio of 35% might sadly say it all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

The context is that FFSDougie left for a team like Bolton, Karl Robinson of League 1 has ruled himself out, and Coppell doesn't seem to be beating down the door.

You would think that a team who is 4th in the championship would be more appealing. What is going on behind the scenes?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Most new managers are appointed when a team is in a form slump. It's not typical for a manager to take over a team in hot form and all the pressure that comes with keeping that going rather than re-moulding a team in your own image. Plus there are behind the scenes shenanigans going on there - I can't see Freedman having left otherwise. So maybe not as attractive a vacancy as face value might suggest.

I take the point but TBH most managers would take the gamble if all terms are OK ish.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The context is that FFSDougie left for a team like Bolton, Karl Robinson of League 1 has ruled himself out, and Coppell doesn't seem to be beating down the door.

You would think that a team who is 4th in the championship would be more appealing. What is going on behind the scenes?

Well again thats a fine thing to say but Blackburn have a long list and in no way are Palace anything like that.

I would say we should all wait before jumping to conclutions....or this thread might turn into " have we got bigger fish to fry than Palace" type egg on face thread. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would say we should all wait before jumping to conclutions....or this thread might turn into " have we got bigger fish to fry than Palace" type egg on face thread. :)
Such a pity that it takes a Palace fan to point this out.

The fact is, you're better than us (as the league table points out) despite being in a mediocre half empty stadium. Why some Albion fans are still taking the piss is totally beyond me. Personally, I'll wait to see who your manager actually is, as I don't think you'll struggle getting someone half decent in (sadly).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In the week or so since Freedman jumped ship I've not read or heard of anything that changes the view that his departure really only speaks volumes about Palace. It is so careless to lose your manager when on such a spectacular run of form. I don't think Bolton were a huge factor - they just happen to have a managerial vacancy and conditions that compared favourably to Palace. Freedman needed a job once he decided to walk out of Selhurst Park.

Parish's comments / excuses were either very honest and a warning to potential managers that there won't be much of a transfer budget or has shot himself in the foot (or maybe both). They had a Palace legend as manager who by several accounts was being paid a pittance by Championship standards so partly doing the job for love and had managed to make an unfancied squad very competitive. Having got them well on the way to Championship survival and better still into the play off places it is understandable that Freedman asked Parish questions about reinforcing the squad to push on for a Premiership place, but didn't get the answers he wanted. Freedman is ambitious but they can't afford to go for the Premiership, so have peaked. Worse still maybe he was told that certain players might have to be sold.

Having seen the Albion climb out of the financial abyss I can understand any Board that is cautious about putting their Club into debt, even though they can now sniff all that Premiership gold. I'm sure that Tony Bloom has a clearly defined budget and it might not be what Gus would like in an ideal world but has to put up with the squad he has got or sell a player or two. I could see Gus walking out in similar circumstances, if the mood takes him.

It will be interesting to see where Palace are in 6 months time and whether Parish regrets not stumping up a few extra quid for Freedman after all. While Palace maintain their form Parish is lucky that he has Lennie Lawrence and is probably saving a few quid on the wages bill into the bargain. The conspiracy theorists might even think that Freedman was being 'too succesful' for Parish who is happy to settle for consolidation in the top third of the Championship with a nice bump in income from bigger crowds.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In the week or so since Freedman jumped ship I've not read or heard of anything that changes the view that his departure really only speaks volumes about Palace. It is so careless to lose your manager when on such a spectacular run of form. I don't think Bolton were a huge factor - they just happen to have a managerial vacancy and conditions that compared favourably to Palace. Freedman needed a job once he decided to walk out of Selhurst Park.

Parish's comments / excuses were either very honest and a warning to potential managers that there won't be much of a transfer budget or has shot himself in the foot (or maybe both). They had a Palace legend as manager who by several accounts was being paid a pittance by Championship standards so partly doing the job for love and had managed to make an unfancied squad very competitive. Having got them well on the way to Championship survival and better still into the play off places it is understandable that Freedman asked Parish questions about reinforcing the squad to push on for a Premiership place, but didn't get the answers he wanted. Freedman is ambitious but they can't afford to go for the Premiership, so have peaked. Worse still maybe he was told that certain players might have to be sold.

Having seen the Albion climb out of the financial abyss I can understand any Board that is cautious about putting their Club into debt, even though they can now sniff all that Premiership gold. I'm sure that Tony Bloom has a clearly defined budget and it might not be what Gus would like in an ideal world but has to put up with the squad he has got or sell a player or two. I could see Gus walking out in similar circumstances, if the mood takes him.

It will be interesting to see where Palace are in 6 months time and whether Parish regrets not stumping up a few extra quid for Freedman after all. While Palace maintain their form Parish is lucky that he has Lennie Lawrence and is probably saving a few quid on the wages bill into the bargain. The conspiracy theorists might even think that Freedman was being 'too succesful' for Parish who is happy to settle for consolidation in the top third of the Championship with a nice bump in income from bigger crowds.

The writing has been on the wall (or this board) for some time:

Palace - just had a very interesting conversation

The great Zaha talk up - to save Palace's season

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I kept waiting for it to say Palarse wanted him to go because they'd get some form of compo from Bolton and they so desperate for money, but if they're not getting any and got rid of the lowest paid manager in the div then it's gasp worthy

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I kept waiting for it to say Palarse wanted him to go because they'd get some form of compo from Bolton and they so desperate for money, but if they're not getting any and got rid of the lowest paid manager in the div then it's gasp worthy

Indeed... something smells very fishy about the whole business.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that all rings true, but according to the CPFC2010 on the BBS you just made all that up in the pub :drink:

Laughable isn't it. My prediction on the manager front will be another cheap manager with youth development in mind, and a small playing budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here