Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video of Ashley Barnes' sending off at Bolton

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It coincided with a very hefty attempted assault on Orlandi so that, along with his sense of injustice after the penalty appeal and overall frustration, was presumably what tipped him over the edge into a moment of madness. Stupid, stupid thing to do. The idea that he should only have got a yellow is ridiculous. Players just can't do that to a ref, regardless of perceived 'provocation'. It wasn't dangerous but it's just bang out of order. Personally, I'd like to see any player who touches the ref at all in hot water as they would have been 20 years ago - it's about respect.

I've always stuck up for Barnes and, as a player, think he's a useful member of the squad but that occasional petulant element to his game seems sure to see him bombed out of the club at some point if he doesn't learn his lesson this time.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
You're saying that violent conduct against the referee is no worse than against an opposing player?! This is a joke surely?
If Barnes is guilty of a the trip. It can hardly be construed as Violent conduct. As I said before if it was a trip on a player like that I would be astounded if a red card was produced.If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but If a yellow card was given for that incident against an opponent why Is it worthy of a red against the referee.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
You're saying that violent conduct against the referee is no worse than against an opposing player?! This is a joke surely?

I have been a referee for 14 years, admittedly at a lot lower level than age football league. Barnes action in my eyes comes under unsporting behaviour which is a cautionable offence. Just because it is against the ref you cannot change it to violent conduct. The referee is part of the game/pitch.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Seen it several times and still can't make out whether it was intentional of even if he made contact, reports made it sound much worse and you see much worse in the premiershite week after week

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I have been a referee for 14 years, admittedly at a lot lower level than age football league. Barnes action in my eyes comes under unsporting behaviour which is a cautionable offence. Just because it is against the ref you cannot change it to violent conduct. The referee is part of the game/pitch.

But it was off the ball?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Seen it several times and still can't make out whether it was intentional of even if he made contact, reports made it sound much worse and you see much worse in the premiershite week after week
I've never seen in whether in the Premier or Rymans League, divisions or leagues don't make any difference, if Barnes is guilty and from the pictures only he knows then he deserves a ban for months. You simply can't do that sort of thing to an official.

I really think that Barnes and the club needs to make an official statement and again if guilty then the club need to issue thier own ban against the player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That makes no difference if the ball was 2 foot away or up the other end Of the pitch. Its still unsporting behaviour.

Being a pedant, it does. If he had tripped the ref while attempting to win the ball it's serious foul play. The same action when not challenging for the ball is violent conduct.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Being a pedant, it does. If he had tripped the ref while attempting to win the ball it's serious foul play. The same action when not challenging for the ball is violent conduct.
We'll have to agree to disagree my friend a simple trip/attempted trip with one foot can never be classed as violent conduct in my eyes. Now if he'd kicked him with the same foot that would be different:D

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If he was going to trip the ref on purperse, do it right like Di Canio and make it more funny :O

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

if the ref gets in the way of the ball you are allowed to move him within reason out of the way.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Barnes will be straight back in the team once his ban is done, of that I am pretty certain.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

But he's the f***ing referee!!! He's the impartial judge of the game's laws; any competitive match would be a shambles without him, and players have to respect his decisions. You can't retaliate against a decision he has made and not expect to have the book thrown at you.

Camicus

But he's the f***ing referee!!! He's the impartial judge of the game's laws; any competitive match would be a shambles without him, and players have to respect his decisions. You can't retaliate against a decision he has made and not expect to have the book thrown at you.

This Barnes shouldnt have been within 20 feet of him let alone trying to trip him

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

I can't decide either, could be accidental not sure

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We'll have to agree to disagree my friend a simple trip/attempted trip with one foot can never be classed as violent conduct in my eyes. Now if he'd kicked him with the same foot that would be different:D

But the laws aren't "in rdigs' opinion" they are "in the referee's opinion".

My point was more to the point about whether the ball was there or not: if an offence occurs while challenging for the ball it is "serious foul play", if the offence occurs away from the ball it's "violent conduct", even if what happens is identical in each situation. The pedant in me is simply saying the presence of the ball is important for the terminology.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many game is his ban as I thought foul and abusive language was 2 games but violent conduct 3 games plus of course an extra game for being the 2nd red card this season.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He will be lucky with a 4 game ban if proven, Di Canio was banned for 11 games for pushing that ref.

I'm not comparing the incidents, but I doubt whether the authorities will leave it at that.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

A shoulder charge is also a direct free kick offence. But, if a player shoulder-barged a referee or another player who's nowhere near the ball, that's definitely violent conduct. The same applies to kicking, tripping and pushing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here