Video of Ashley Barnes' sending off at Bolton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
There is more in the link.

Those are the basic punishments for breaking the laws of the game. The laws themselves actually include the referee as potential victim of offence, so the punishment is assumed as the same.

However, there is Rule E3 (number 7 in the link, page 8):
(b) A Player may be charged by The Association under Rule E3 in relation to certain on-field
incidents for which the Player was dismissed, pursuant to Regulation 8(j) below, where The
Association is satisfi ed that the standard punishment that would otherwise apply following
the dismissal is clearly insufficient.

(g) The standard punishment shall be increased where The Association satisfi es the
Commission so that it is sure that:
(i) The circumstances of the dismissal under review are truly exceptional, such that
the standard punishment should not be applied; and
(ii) The standard punishment would be clealy insufficient.​

(h) In considering the matters at (g) above, the Commission shall have regard to:
(a) The applicable Law(s) of the Game and any relevant FIFA instructions and/or
guidelines;
(b) The nature of the dismissal offence, and particular any intent, recklessness,
negligence or other state of mind of the Player;
(c) Where applicable, the level of force used;
(d) Any injury to an opponent caused by the dismissal offence;
(e) Any other impact on the game in which the dismissal occurred;
(f ) The prevalence of the type of offence in question in football generally;
(g) The wider interests of football in applying consistent punishments for dismissal
offences;​

Looking at that list, I would think it unlikely that Rule E3 is applied.
b) it wasn't reckless or negligent, it was petulant.
c) it was not very forceful
d) no injury occurred
e) full time whistle went less than a minute later, there was no impact
f) it isn't something you see often
g) is there a wider interest? If this stays as a 3 match ban will it make people more likely to try to trip a referee since Barnes only got banned for three games? is it really high profile enough to have a wide impact?

I'd be surprised if the FA don't apply the f) part too be honest - no, it isn't something you see often, but the f) part is there to clamp down on incidents like this quickly to prevent it occurring frequently. They'll set an example out of him - you can't kick out at a referee, it's just ridiculous.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I've just come back from my self-imposed post-loss break from NSC fully expecting to hear the club were going to appeal this decision having reviewed the evidence but clearly that's not the case.

I like Barnes but this really is staggeringly stupid of him. I wonder if he has personal problems that are perhaps affecting his attitude on the pitch.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Barnes acted like a complete imbecile on Saturday and there is no excuse for such behaviour, especially at a time when our attacking options are so limited. Given that it is his second record card in a very short space of time, I hope the club discipline him with a big fine. He deserves nothing less.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes I saw that and I was surprised at the statement. I'd have thought Gus might have said "we thought it was over before the Sheff Wed incident". He is now saying the 2 cards are too close together but his antics on the field (facing up, wild lunges, in the ref's face etc) warranted something be done before he got these cards not afterwards

Anyway I'm fairly sure this will be a defining moment, either he'll go or will get such an uber bollacking that he'll grow up sharpish

Before the wednesday game he had never gone far enough to warrant such action. Prior to sheffield wednesday, he had received one yellow card in 22 games. In those 22 games we received 32 yellows and a red. He got a total of 6 yellow cards over 50 appearances last season. His only other red card for us was one that neutral reporters from BBC ad sky sports both thought was wrong (v Barnsley).

As aggressive or petulant or bullheaded or whatever as he has been, he has previously kept it in check enough not to be severely punished. Simply put, it hasn't actually been a problem of consequence before. Worryingly he is getting worse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before the wednesday game he had never gone far enough to warrant such action. Prior to sheffield wednesday, he had received one yellow card in 22 games. In those 22 games we received 32 yellows and a red. He got a total of 6 yellow cards over 50 appearances last season. His only other red card for us was one that neutral reporters from BBC ad sky sports both thought was wrong (v Barnsley).

As aggressive or petulant or bullheaded or whatever as he has been, he has previously kept it in check enough not to be severely punished. Simply put, it hasn't actually been a problem of consequence before. Worryingly he is getting worse.
Making the question:-

Why now?

All the more relevant.

tomski

Mar 6, 2013
Bolton
I can't believe the ref was dodgy coz it seemed so blatant bias towards Bolton. Honestly I have never seen a ref that
bias That obvious if I wasn't full of trust I would swear
He was playing to the oriental bet market. But I don't think that coz
It would be too obvious. I would also have to assume that Bha would get a red card in this bet win. Coz the red didn't change the game.

I can understand barnes frustration.

Something was very wrong that game but obviously it wasn't the ref.
I felt the ref was very good on Saturday, allowed the game to flow as much as possible and allowed some strong challenges from both sides which was refreshing to see. As for the Barnes red card I've no idea what was going on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Making the question:-

Why now?

All the more relevant.

Indeed. Perhaps it's a phase. Perhaps he wasn't fully fit after the bug that kept him out of tuesday's game and that lack of fitness impacted on his self-control. Perhaps he has put too much pressure on himself to earn a new contract. Perhaps fan criticism has got to him. Perhaps there are issues in his private life. Perhaps he is seeing the squad improve beyond his capabilities and is overreaching. Perhaps it's just him growing into a person who is more aggressive than necessary. Perhaps it's something else entirely.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Did he trip the ref or was it accidental contact? That video is hardly conclusive evidence.

The ref told officials he sent him off for the trip.

I've been watching football for 40 years and I don't remember too many refs being deliberately tripped up. Piss poor by Barnes, he'll get what he deserves after this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps he has put too much pressure on himself to earn a new contract

Perhaps he is seeing the squad improve beyond his capabilities and is overreaching.

Christ knows what we can expect if he ever dons the stripes, again. :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

" Charges brought under this Regulation must be brought by1pm on the second working day
following the game in which the relevant dismissal occurred.
"

I think the 4 match ban is the basic one that automatically gets added to the database. If the FA want to increase it under Rule E3 they have until 1pm tomorrow to file the claim, so it could still be increased.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps he has put too much pressure on himself to earn a new contract

Perhaps he is seeing the squad improve beyond his capabilities and is overreaching.

Christ knows what we can expect if he ever dons the stripes, again. :lol:

The action itself seems less severe than v Wednesday, but the victim is more unusual. If that pattern continues, perhaps he'll pinch Gully's bottom next...

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
It's fun how so many people here instantly jump on Barnes. Nobody knows if the trip was even deliberate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ref told officials he sent him off for the trip.

I've been watching football for 40 years and I don't remember too many refs being deliberately tripped up. Piss poor by Barnes, he'll get what he deserves after this.

If he was going to have a go at the ref, I would rather it had been like Di Canio where we could have had a good laugh, rather than something so innocuous, most of us there didn't actually see it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In some respects he's as well getting sent off against Bolton rather than against Palace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's fun how so many people here instantly jump on Barnes. Nobody knows if the trip was even deliberate.
That's what the ref says, so end of.

The FA aren't going to say 'are you sure ref'?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he was going to have a go at the ref, I would rather it had been like Di Canio where we could have had a good laugh, rather than something so innocuous, most of us there didn't actually see it.

To be fair, Di Canio has always been a showman. The same cannot be said of Barnes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In some respects he's as well getting sent off against Bolton rather than against Palace.

This season's lowest player rating on the threads on here is still Lewis Dunk v Palace. Despite the general bias and lower rating Barnes gets, and despite it being his second red in short succession, Lewis Dunk has shown getting sent off v Palace is the worst crime a brighton player can commit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports