Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video of Ashley Barnes' sending off at Bolton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's what the ref says, so end of.

The FA aren't going to say 'are you sure ref'?

Referees have been known to lie in the past. Remember Prosser who tried to accuse Brighton fans of racism in 2002? Fortunately Warnock and the Sheff Utd player in question said they didn't hear anything and the accusations were thrown out.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
So if it was accidental, and there is a good chance it was, just because the ref says its deliberate means that Barnes should get lambasted?

It isn't accidental, it's just not a natural movement of his leg. Watch from 50 seconds on this clip, put the video quality to 720p HD

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So if it was accidental, and there is a good chance it was, just because the ref says its deliberate means that Barnes should get lambasted?
It doesn't matter what we think it's what the FA says.
Gus' reaction is also very telling.

2 reds in his last 2 games, the former potentially costing us a valuable point or 3, the latter costing us massive selection problems at the most important part of the season.

I'd say he deserves all he gets.
How many 'pro Barnes', see it the same as yourself?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Sadly the club shouldn't ban Barnes, as the FA will still need to and be seen to take action.

Fergie Banned Cantona for his reasoned discussion with the Palace fan, then the FA tagged on x amount more games.

Assuming the FA aren't happy and will insist on protecting referees a six game game ban from the club will have them adding 4 more, with possibly a play off caveat.

Whereas leaving it to the FA may well result in a 6 game ban.
Sorry but the club must be seen to be strict in this case. I've been watching football since the early seventies and never seen such behaviour.

The club should enforce it's own ban and then accept the FA's decision on top. Barnes has so much potential and in order to progress his own game he's got to learn that bullying officials and cheating is totally unacceptable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but the club must be seen to be strict in this case. I've been watching football since the early seventies and never seen such behaviour.

The club should enforce it's own ban and then accept the FA's decision on top. Barnes has so much potential and in order to progress his own game he's got to learn that bullying officials and cheating is totally unacceptable.
Yeah I do agree, hence the 'sadly' part.

Gus can be 99% sure an extended ban is coming so why pre-empt it?

There's plenty the club can do, in house, to 'deal' with Barnes.

If I thought for one minute the FA would say 'Thank you Brighton that's an adequate punishment', then yes they should do it.
But the FA won't, so just leave it up to them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
How long was Di Canio banned for when he pushed the ref over?

In England, Di Canio is infamous for an incident on the pitch in September 1998, when he pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off while playing for Sheffield Wednesday against Arsenal at Hillsborough, which resulted in an extended ban of 11 matches[2] and him being fined £10,000.[3]

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Pro or anti Barnes, I really don't see how anyone can defend his actions. By doing so you just makes yourself look stupid. It was an unbelievable thing to do, I can't even begin to comprehend what was going through his mind. All I know is that every time from now on he steps over the white line, your know in the back of you mind he is capable of doing such a stupid act. If he was some sort of loose cannon but made up for it by being a class act, you would want to forgive him and say, you take that with the package. But he is not, he is an average(at best) championship player. Total tosspot.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The saddest part of all of this is that some people are quite happy to welcome him back with open arms once this has been put to bed. Had it been out of character then I would probably say ' fair enough, second chance ' but it isn't.
The club have made strides in ridding ourselves of the tag of worst disciplinary record in all four divisions. We were in the spotlight. Far too many reds and yellows and the management team guilty of pressurising and haranguing 4th officials and refereeing teams. To a great extent we have cleaned up our act. The team has been more disciplined on the pitch and Gus and his support team have been more controlled off it.
This one player has undone all the good work that the whole squad of players and management team have worked hard to achieve. Once more we are back in the national spotlight and high profile due to disciplinary issues. The underlying damage is far more than just a player ban/fine and the club left almost bereft of strikers.
I cannot believe anyone in the dressing room is tolerant of this. They have worked their socks off for 8 months to get to this position and not for the first time, he has let them down. If it was me, I wouldn't want him back but the players can't control what a manager does.
If this club is going to move forward and clean up its act, then the main perpetrator of our troubles has to be shown the door, for the sake of dressing room harmony. Even if you like the player, you have to put the club first. He will offend again and again. He can't stop himself. He will keep letting the club down.
If the manager won't take the lead then the Chairman will have to step in with some serious advice.
One rotten apple will ruin the whole barrel.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Having just looked at the video again - and ignoring the immediate shock and outrage over the loss to the team - I have come to the conclusion that Ashley Barnes is a complete and utter legend.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Having just looked at the video again - and ignoring the immediate shock and outrage over the loss to the team - I have come to the conclusion that Ashley Barnes is a complete and utter legend.

I sincerely hope this is tongue in cheek.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would it have been worse if the ref had 'gone down'?

Barnes seems to be missing a lot of media attention, which obviously is a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here