Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video highlights - The last ever match at the Goldstone 1997 - with commentary!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
All this talk about how bad we were! We were 13 points adrift at the bottom of the whole Football League that season, staring into the abyss, and I think the football played in those games on the road to recovery was pretty good! Some of the passing and movement, the headers down, flick ons and stuff in that Donny second half were excellent. Christ, we've played MUCH MUCH worse, believe me.

The people who've commented that the performance against Colchester on Monday was the worst they'd ever seen are very lucky supporters, if that really is the lowest of the low.

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I am watching this right now, just got to the end of the first half and I remember clearly not being able to go because my old man insited I worked for him, I was devestated... I was listening to it on the radio in the van and drove past the Goldstone during the match and thought the crowd were in the back, it was f***ing AMAZING but very very sad

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
After all these years it is amazing how little I remembered about the game.....the Last Post, sending off, getting soaked on the Chicken Run, THE goal, and getting on the pitch at the end...the rest was a blur!
Thanks for putting that together!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Absolutely amazing. Have seen the goal a hundred times, but the full build up, the all round tension, the near misses at the end and the premature pitch invasion I've not seen since the day. Brings more than the odd tear to the eye. So incredibly emotional. We've come a long, long way together, through the hard times and the good...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Almost made me cry! Anyone get nervous just watching? Willing the ref to blow the whistle?

It makes me so angry that we lost our home to money men. That was the last time Brighton had a permanent home... I will never ever forgive or forget what Bill Archer, Greg Stanley and David Bellotti did to our club. I hope they burn in hell.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Wow, that was quite an emotional watch, how can a bit of grass in Hove still well me up when we have a super stadium the other side of town.

Excellent work as usual Mr Goldstone Rapper.

All your clips should be shown at the AMEX, if Tony could pay the 1000's in copyright.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This should be NSC Gold.

D

Deleted User X18H

Dear me, that was emotional.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, I'm still willing everyone on.

Now, if Goldstone Rapper can find the footage and radio commentary for the Hereford game...

I have this somewhere in my loft. Well not entirley sure about the radio commentary but I do have the whole match on VHS (gawd knows whereabouts)

I do recall hearing a recording of Millard who took over from Proudfoot in the 2nd half and at one point said 'Maskell is free on the left , give it to him for christs sake'

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thank you for all the great comments about the footage. I did wonder an hour's edit was going to be too long for most people, but clearly not :)

I have the Hereford match on video.
Sadly, the audio recording I have has only the last half-hour of commentary. If you or anyone else has a fuller version of the radio broadcast please let me know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here