Video highlights - The last ever match at the Goldstone 1997 - with commentary!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
you lot go on about us not filling SP yet there were large spaces empty at your last ever game at the GG FFS!

How about it was sold out ages before the game?.The capacity was reduced to under 12,000 by this time.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
You gotta love Leyton Orient for doing their bit that day,especially after Barry hearn was going to get us chucked out the league a few weeks before!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Great vid. I watched 20 mins of it last night and concluded that:

a) we really were f***ing SHITE back then, especially considering that match represented a massive improvement on the first half of the season.

really terrible. I remember trying to think Paul McDonald was my favourite player, just because he was supposed to be the kind of player I usually like. Jeff Minton was possibly one of the better players and he often couldn't be bothered.

Happy days

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Storer's thundering tackle in his own half, when he chased back 50 yards and stopped a dangerous Donny counter-attack, was just immense. His tackle led to the throw-in that subsequently ended in the corner from which he scored. Christ, if ever there was a reason to tackle back, that's it. Absolutely awesome!

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I think the commentary said that it was 14 years from the Cup Final to the Conference (almost). Well, here we are 14 years later looking forward to starting next season in the top half of the football league (of the 92 clubs) in our new stadium. Did anyone think it would take that long? What's important is that a group of people kept the faith, and thanks to a chairman whose pockets are deeper than his trousers, the only way is up!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Storer's thundering tackle in his own half, when he chased back 50 yards and stopped a dangerous Donny counter-attack, was just immense. His tackle led to the throw-in that subsequently ended in the corner from which he scored. Christ, if ever there was a reason to tackle back, that's it. Absolutely awesome!

Storer was a good player for us. Not absolutely top class perhaps but one of those players like Gary Hart who gave everything. Of all the players in that game he deserves the honour of the final goal at the Goldstone.

Glad I saw that, although I was at the match I remember nothing about the game apart from the sendings-off and the goal. We were poor though, Reinelt running to the corner flag to eat up the minutes and losing control of the ball summed up the quality of the performance.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the commentary said that it was 14 years from the Cup Final to the Conference (almost). Well, here we are 14 years later looking forward to starting next season in the top half of the football league (of the 92 clubs) in our new stadium. Did anyone think it would take that long? What's important is that a group of people kept the faith, and thanks to a chairman whose pockets are deeper than his trousers, the only way is up!

If his pockets are deeper than his trousers, wouldn't they drag on the floor?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
i've got random youtube clips but EXCELLENT work putting this together!! gonna watch over and over.

and as terrible as we were at the time, i used to love watching storer getting up and down the wing. like was said, really an OGH type that gave his all whatever the circumstances. definitely one of my all time favourites...

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
does anyone have commentary + footage from hereford? the one thing i've NEVER been able to find is reinelt's goal, with the radio sussex commentary on it. that would really be something to have...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Awesome! can't believe how bad we were though.

Tip:if you've got a Vimeo account you can download the movie, halfway down the right hand side there's a link (it says MP4 in big letters)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports