Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Has anyone suggested this (CBA to read through 16 pages), maybe Vicente has indicated to the club that he has 'issues' to deal with at home(Spain) and he needs/wants extra time to deal with it before he returns for pre-season, the club knowing his contract expires on Saturday have activated the year's option, in case another club make him an offer between his contract expiring and his return to us? :shrug:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So what is your explanation for this announcement and the Albion refusing to make further comment then?

This is what makes me positive...

Went to see my old man today for father's day, he sits next to a couple in their 60's at The Amex. Around 3 weeks ago said couple took their grand-daughter to the local nursery to enrol her for some summer activities and to start in September.

Who should be in there at the same time doing the same with his child, the man himself!

Read into this what you will but there is absolutely no reason for these particular season ticket holders to make up some utter nonsensical bullshit.

A little ray of hope....

Didn't really think about it, i was walking down from the station after having a torrid journey home and we walked past each other, i did the classic TV sitcom action of stop, moment of realisation of who it might be, turned round and looked back as he crossed the road. The man in question was in full flow spanish to a female but didn't get the impression she was his partner as the body language wasn't there, seemed to be a friend.

Where is you evidence to suggest that this is not anything other than above board?

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would imagine that he was on a smaller salary last season due to fitness concearns, with a bonus for actually playing.
This year he intends to return, but under revised terms, meaning an increased salary, and has given a verbal yes, but until that new contract is signed, it isnt watertight, so the club are 99% certain that it is done, but still 1% chance of it falling through.
By extending their right to extend, the club may be stopping his agent touting him about.

But what do I know, the same as the previous 300 odd posts

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ok, here goes........

The notoriously fragile Vicente is still in Spain trying to get his head round dealing with a new baby and a massive decision about his and his family's future. As such no formal agreement has been reached yet, but he is making positive noises. In the meantime other English clubs are sniffing round and getting his agent all excited, and time is running out on protecting the club's interests should he have a last minute change of heart. So the clever people now running the club decide to take the option of the one year extension until any proper deal is fully thrashed out. The club decide to release a statement but have to be very careful to represent the actual situation whilst at the same time by doing so give Vicente a nudge and send a big "f*** you if you think you're getting him for nothing" to the Scummers and Rumble Stick Rattlers etc.

That about it?

Think this about sums the situation up.

Well done sir

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Albion RSS Feed

This is from the Argus. Its probably clear that nothing has changed re Vicente, just the Albion protecting themselves....maybe intentionally so to the ears of other clubs. But reading this Article suggests very strongly that Vicente will be playing with us next season. I think negotiations are still on going and that June 30th is fast approaching has forced the Albion.

Bruno: I'm not just here because of Vicente
5:00pm Tuesday 26th June 2012 in Albion By Brian Owen

Face the music: Bruno at his press conference today. Pic by Sam Stephenson Albion new boy Bruno has set his sights on top-flight football at The Amex.

But the former Valencia right-back insists he has not joined the Seagulls solely to link up with good mate Vicente.

Bruno met the media today after completing a two-year deal with Albion which will kick in when his Valencia contract expires at the end of this week.

The Seagulls still hope and expect Vicente to return for another season although boss Gus Poyet admitted that bit of business has not been tied up yet.

Bruno was in regular contact with Vicente last season and said: “Yes, that was an improtant factor.

"Of course he is a team mate and a friend. We have a great relationship.

"But this decision was taken independently of that.

"It wasn't the main reason for the decision."

The Barcelona-born defender said he knew what to expect from Championship football.

He added: “I’m crazy about football. I love football and I follow all leagues, including the Championship.

"With Vicente involved, I follow it even more.

"I know about Brighton and other teams, the play-offs.

“This team has been built for (promotion). They are doing things the way they should be done.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I literally cannot believe this thread. He's signed. We've got him for another year. Get over yourselves.

Care to explain why the website worded it so specifically and unusually then? For a laugh?

I literally cannot believe this thread. He's signed. We've got him for another year. Get over yourselves.

No, he hasn't. Albion have taken up their option. Nothing more.

none of us run professional football clubs, and not many of us (if any at all) work in press departments, so who knows?

what is your explanation for this: "The 30-year-old is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30, 2013."?

It means he is not a free agent from Sunday, which he would have been before the option was taken. He therefore can't go anywhere without the Albion being involved, and he will still be paid in the meantime.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i dont know why the 'doom and gloom' bunch are getting so worked up about this. they all probably think 12/12/2012 is doomsday anyway!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

But that's not true is it. He hasn't signed anything. We have no idea if he has agreed anything. Fwiw I still think he will be with us but this is not the definite announcement

Oct 25, 2003
No, he hasn't. Albion have taken up their option. Nothing more.

It means he is not a free agent from Sunday, which he would have been before the option was taken. He therefore can't go anywhere without the Albion being involved, and he will still be paid in the meantime.

exactly the same situation as any of our other under contract players.......he can only leave if we allow him to

this isn't a contract signing, it's a contract EXTENSION which he agreed to when he initially signed for us

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
panic-button.jpeg

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Please let me know if I am talking bullshit! Would the second year option be on the same terms as the first year? If so could it not be a ploy that them terms would not in his best interests so that he signs a better two year deal! I am not to sure on how it works but surely he may be able to sign a better deal even though that option has been taken!

Was either that or they clearly knew there was a lot of interest in him and didn't want to loose him on a free in a few days time!

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
I have a sneaky feeling that the club announced this expecting an outpouring of joy from the fans... only to reread and think... 'Bollocks'.

The wording was intentional, Gus any Tony Bloom are reading NSC having a right giggle at the cracking windup wording they've just released onto us adoring public.

Everyone is just so bloody pessimistic, take a chill-pill and enjoy the fact that Vicente is contracted to play for US this coming season

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brilliant thread. Reminds me of the closing scene in Benny Hill for some reason. Complete farce.

If it was a matter of Vicente not being around to sign because of personal reasons (new baby arrival) surely the club would have said. "We are delighted to announce that Vicente will be extending his contract through to June 2013. With Vicente in Spain for personal reasons and the club and Vicente have mutually agreed to invoke a contractual clause to make this happen."...Then perhaps even a quote from the great man "I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Brighton last year...look forward to the season ahead...hope to push the club to the next level...".

Perhaps I should have got Paul Barber's job :p But taking the fact Paul is a smart egg and should know how to message stuff properly, Gus and the clubs no comment stance reported in the Argus I can only conclude there is something more to this...I only hope that it's in leui of a longer deal penned once Vicente rejoins the squad for pre-season training :drool:

Time will tell...

Oct 25, 2003
a lot of people on here seem to think 2+2=5078432

there's absolutely nothing to suggest he won't be flairing it up for us next season........listen to some jimmy cliff and chill the f*** out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports