Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
On the plus side, if we're assuming the club have only done this to protect their interests, there's a chance he may still sign a new TWO YEAR deal!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I'm afraid that what has occurred is that the negotiations with Vicente have not yet concluded but the club have exercised their 12 month extension to protect their interests. Otherwise he would have been a free agent on 1st July. It would seems that although the deal is nearly done there is some way to go and there will be no formal announcement until next week. On the positive side I wouldn't be surprised if some type of a 2 year deal is then agreed.

Be off with you and your sensible, honest, believable posts that appear to have some truth in them. Your not welcome on NSC...this isn't a place for your articulate like. Now carry on and we'll say no more about it.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I'm afraid that what has occurred is that the negotiations with Vicente have not yet concluded but the club have exercised their 12 month extension to protect their interests. Otherwise he would have been a free agent on 1st July. It would seems that although the deal is nearly done there is some way to go and there will be no formal announcement until next week. On the positive side I wouldn't be surprised if some type of a 2 year deal is then agreed.

I fourth or fifth or sixth that.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can't see the club even announcing the activation unless he is coming back as there would be no point

We have to remember Vicente came over here away from a place he had been for his whole career and into a different culture without being able to speak the lingo. This can make you feel isolated and when gus mentions 'personal problems' I think he was referring to a few things that were making it difficult for Vicente to settle. I think the signing of a former team mate and friend and no doubt a few allowances for Vicente to maybe return between games for his family might be what gus is referring to.

This combined with Bruno talking about coming to play with Vicente says to me he will be in an Albion shirt next season

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
On the plus side, if we're assuming the club have only done this to protect their interests, there's a chance he may still sign a new TWO YEAR deal!

optimism? surely not?!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I like this page 16,its a positive page,page 15 was a negative page and got me all worried.Now i believe again.I think i'm easily led.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I think the club/Poyet have lost patience with him. The final straw might have been, after having said he would join if Bruno joined, he then said he wasn't sure again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Er...THIS!!!!

some of you guys really are glass half empty people.

So what is your explanation for this announcement and the Albion refusing to make further comment then?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

All sounds like it could be likely but it does still beg the question why bother putting the information out in public about the extension? If things haven't been agreed yet with Vicente and his agent a public announcement like this surely isn't going to help things?

Oct 25, 2003
everyone is moaning about the "wording", but are you choosing to ignore this:

"The 30-year-old is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30, 2013."

?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Ok, here goes........

The notoriously fragile Vicente is still in Spain trying to get his head round dealing with a new baby and a massive decision about his and his family's future. As such no formal agreement has been reached yet, but he is making positive noises. In the meantime other English clubs are sniffing round and getting his agent all excited, and time is running out on protecting the club's interests should he have a last minute change of heart. So the clever people now running the club decide to take the option of the one year extension until any proper deal is fully thrashed out. The club decide to release a statement but have to be very careful to represent the actual situation whilst at the same time by doing so give Vicente a nudge and send a big "f*** you if you think you're getting him for nothing" to the Scummers and Rumble Stick Rattlers etc.

That about it?

Oct 25, 2003
So what is your explanation for this announcement and the Albion refusing to make further comment then?

none of us run professional football clubs, and not many of us (if any at all) work in press departments, so who knows?

what is your explanation for this: "The 30-year-old is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30, 2013."?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports