Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love conspiracy theorists - always looking for rain in a clear sky or Fosters bleedin' lager in a barrel of Harveys

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How can you know that without seeing the contract? Why would Vicente have agreed to that a year ago?

Because it could have worked to his benefit too (ie he might automatically got a new contract no matter how he played, without having to worry about ending up on the scrapheap).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm relieved to hear this.

Wasn't sure Vicente would stay especially having seen his body language in the Barnsley game at the end of last season. He didn't look to be a very happy bunny, inspite of the outpouring of love from the Albion travelling faithful.

But then he might have been pissed off at the Ref who seemed determined to let him get kicked off the park and also wondering what the f**k he was doing grinding out a 0-0 in a cold grey Yorkshire mining town. It seems that we needn't have worried quite so much.

What I particularly like about this news is that unlike last year Vicente will be available and ready to exert his influence right from the start of the season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poyet always said he wouldn't force him to stay.

If people's fears were legit then SURELY we would have just extended it much earlier in the summer.

He was still our player so the story is basic. "player extends contract".

Calm down

That's all very well when he thought he might want to go back to Spain. What if we just found out that Vicente had agreed to join a promotion rival, say Cardiff, for example, as they'll pay him double the wages we will. I have no doubts the Albion would say "No f***ing way" and activate the clause, meaning if he wants to go there for the money then they will have to pay. And quite right too.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You can. That's the point of 'options'. Vicente had no say as to whether or not we excersied that option. I'd like to think we wouldn't do so without his word, but that isn't clear.
Except that we've been waiting for months and making sure he is agreeable.

If we sell him to Villareal next Thursday I will eat my words, but this seems like a fuss over nothing really.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
How can you know that without seeing the contract? Why would Vicente have agreed to that a year ago?

Because otherwise it wouldn't be 'an option'. It's a simple discussion over renewing of contract otherwise. I would guess he agreed to it as he understood we were taking a gamble on him and therefore should have some fall back if he excelled. That bit is a guess though.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If he had been forced to stay it would be a big gamble with his injury record - 20K a week ? (probably) is a lot to pay if he is 'injured' all the time. I believe he is loyal - we have got him enjoying football again and he wants to play for US.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's all very well when he thought he might want to go back to Spain. What if we just found out that Vicente had agreed to join a promotion rival, say Cardiff, for example, as they'll pay him double the wages we will. I have no doubts the Albion would say "No f***ing way" and activate the clause, meaning if he wants to go there for the money then they will have to pay. And quite right too.

So going against the club continuously saying they wouldn't stand in his way?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, Poyet doesn't want to keep unhappy players (particularly not one of his quality), but then again you could always have some sort of gentleman's agreement with an individual that works along the lines of "look, we know you'd rather be home in Spain, but we've looked after you, invested in you, and we don't want to lose out, so if you want to go to Spain, we guarantee to let you go, and we'll demand a fee of £xxx". Nothing excessive, but enough to recoup the club's investment in him.
I can understand that, but why didn't they extend his contract months ago under the same premise - ie, if you do need to go, we just want a fair fee. I suppose if we had extended it earlier, and he had got injured, we'd have looked silly.

Anyway, the fact that his mate has just joined also suggests you're all worrying about nothing.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It is possible that this has been done because he is talking to another club, particularly as it is late in the day. Maybe that is not the case, but it is possible.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If he had been forced to stay it would be a big gamble with his injury record - 20K a week ? (probably) is a lot to pay if he is 'injured' all the time. I believe he is loyal - we have got him enjoying football again and he wants to play for US.

He certainly wasn't on 20k last year. I can confirm that. Not even close. He was a bargain.

Obviously not a clue on what his new deal is.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Except that we've been waiting for months and making sure he is agreeable.

If we sell him to Villareal next Thursday I will eat my words, but this seems like a fuss over nothing really.

Which to me makes the whole wording of the press release a bit odd to be honest. It reads quite simply as if it's just our decision. You'd think a quote from him or something would be in there, given how important he is to us, and how it's gone back and forth for so long. It's baffling.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
ARGUS:

Albion have taken up their one-year option on the contract of Spanish star Vicente.

The former Valencia playmaker is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30 next year.

Albion are offering no further comment at the moment although boss Gus Poyet told reporters this afternoon: "We look forward to seeing the end of all the personal situations with Vicente and bringing him back."

:shrug:

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Nice one, I think Poyet has really thought long and hard about trying to extend his contract, with yesterday's signing it's help him make the right decision VIVA VICENTE!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Which to me makes the whole wording of the press release a bit odd to be honest. It reads quite simply as if it's just our decision. You'd think a quote from him or something would be in there, given how important he is to us, and how it's gone back and forth for so long. It's baffling.

Exactly - not even a quote is necessary. Just needs to be worded "has agreed to rejoin the Albion for another year, taking up the option on his contract". This is all very odd.

Even if is to later be expanded, there really is no logical reasoning for the wording of that statement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Can you really imagine Vicente being such a cock as to drag his best mate over, then go "actually, I'm off somewhere else" pissing off his mate, our club and his wife in the process?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ARGUS:

Albion have taken up their one-year option on the contract of Spanish star Vicente.

The former Valencia playmaker is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30 next year.

Albion are offering no further comment at the moment although boss Gus Poyet told reporters this afternoon: "We look forward to seeing the end of all the personal situations with Vicente and bringing him back."

:shrug:

Hkfc doesn't like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here