Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vegetarian mince

I have used lentils to make a "mince" base for chilli or bolognese for the veggies/vegans in the family and am quite satisfied with the result and taste. Committed carnivore myself but as I have a keen veggie chef in the family, am quite happy to leave catering to her.

As my dear old mum used to say, "....anything tastes good if is someone else cooks it for me....."

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I don't get it. If you choose to be vegetarian, why do you want meat. It's as pathetic as me taking the piss out of fake mince. Like bacon? Eat bacon!

FWLIW I'm bi-curious. I'll eat anything, at least once. There are some good fake foods . . . But I'd rather see quality and welfare rise to the top. . . . Not processed & fake shit.
Because I like the taste of meat but don't want to eat dead animals anymore.

Is that acceptable to you?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lentils are one of those things Ive always wanted to try more but never got round to it. Im not a vegetarian, I eat chicken and fish but red meat can give me gout so cut that out (mostly) a few years ago. They (lentils) just come across as a bit of a faff. Soak them the night before etc. Easier , tasty options for them?
No a quick couple of sluices is all they need. Most of the ones nowadays are ready to go straight away…I love a Tarka Dhal I really do. Also they work in so many stews, casseroles and curries…

But best as a side in a dhal dish..

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Organic vegan mince is your best bet. A lot of murky vegan products out there now, and some of these "plant food" I would not give to a dog, let alone a human. Always check the ingredients list.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lentils are one of those things Ive always wanted to try more but never got round to it. Im not a vegetarian, I eat chicken and fish but red meat can give me gout so cut that out (mostly) a few years ago. They (lentils) just come across as a bit of a faff. Soak them the night before etc. Easier , tasty options for them?
If you do make a big batch of Tarka just freeze in individual portions… Then thin for an amazing soup just add some water and a knob of butter…. Crusty bread…. Ooh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My wife makes her Ragu with Quorn . It’s Pretty awful. Best just make a top class tomato sauce with fresh basil.
Italian cooking is one of my things and aubergine is my favourite additions to a sauce if you want that ‘meatier’ bite. Very underestimated veg,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here