Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vegetarian mince

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve tried Quorn and some one brand ones. They vary greatly on many levels but the one thing they have in common is the consistency. It can very quickly turn into mush.

Anyone recommend a decent veggie mince that is a bit more robust and holds its structure rather than turning to a lumpy porridge like slop.

Or am I cooking it wrong? I fry it off a little before adding the sauce. Thought that might “seal” it a bit? Alas, non.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We use (frozen) Quorn mince a lot, primarily in bologneses and chillis, and I've never thought of the end result as mush, although it's over 30 years since I ate meat mince, so it may just be my memory.

However, I use finely diced carrot and onion in both dishes, with mushroom too in a chilli. I never weigh ingredients, but I'd guess at something like 60 veg / 40 mince. I cook off the veg first and then add the mince. It doesn't need much cooking from there before I add puree and tinned chopped tomatoes etc.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We use (frozen) Quorn mince a lot, primarily in bologneses and chillis, and I've never thought of the end result as mush, although it's over 30 years since I ate meat mince, so it may just be my memory.

However, I use finely diced carrot, onion in both dishes, with mushroom too in a chilli. I never weigh ingredients, but I'd guess at something like 60 veg / 40 mince. I cook off the veg first and then add the mince. It doesn't need much cooking from there before I add puree and tinned chopped tomatoes etc.
Thanks. Quorn is definitely the best I’ve tried so far.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Quorn appears to be the best but I'd say use lentils where you would use mince and you're better off financially, health and finance wise.
I use tins of green lentils in a Ragu and the recipes are both excellent and you get the feeling of proper mince

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Quorn always fine for me, tend to fry chopped onions and garlic first, add the mince then herbs and spices, then toms and puree etc, have also never experienced it being like mush. :) Supermarket’s own brand vegetarian/vegan mince can certainly be mushy though.

Also switched recently from L Mac’s sausages to Quorn, and if you oven cook them for about 30 minutes (10 beyond recommended) they are sensational.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Quorn appears to be the best but I'd say use lentils where you would use mince and you're better off financially, health and finance wise.
I use tins of green lentils in a Ragu and the recipes are both excellent and you get the feeling of proper mince

Another vote here for lentils, especially in a lasagne:drool:

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Quorn for me too. Never experienced it going mushy though. Always seems to hold its form?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve tried Quorn and some one brand ones. They vary greatly on many levels but the one thing they have in common is the consistency. It can very quickly turn into mush.

Anyone recommend a decent veggie mince that is a bit more robust and holds its structure rather than turning to a lumpy porridge like slop.

Or am I cooking it wrong? I fry it off a little before adding the sauce. Thought that might “seal” it a bit? Alas, non.
I think the trick is to add ingredients like chopped onion etc to help bind it at the start of cooking it . Non meat mince is always likely to turn mushy if in the pan a little too long .

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Jackfruit mince, available from Ocado, is good
IMG_7060.jpeg

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
I use 'beyond meat' patty's, break them down into mince, they have a real BBQ/smoke taste to them, they don't go squishy, they maintain a 'meat' texture -I also add chunks of brie or camembert to add richness to the sauce (but not that heathy)!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Are you frying it before mixing it? When I’ve done that it has held together as mince.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was expecting this thread to be an announcement of a new podcast by Bob Mortimer.

Disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here