Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vegetarian mince

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I find quorn mince rather too dry and tasteless, but have yet to find another affordable alternative. Although a mix of lentils and split peas can be quite good, if a little windy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have had some decent vegetarian mince options. I think the last one I had was Beyond Meat branded. I find if I add enough extra seasoning and tomatoes, it really doesn't taste much different to real mince.

However, the main reason I don't buy it that often is the disagreement the next day. I don't think my bowels are able to deal with whatever they put in it! This is especially concerning when I want to go for a long run (no pun intended).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
just eat veg. . . If you're desperate for meat, eat meat. It's not criminal.
What about if you don’t want to eat meat but like a bolognese?

I eat tonnes of veg so a change is welcome.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
And we’re off. Fellow vegans and veggies pile in, myself, I cannae be arzed, beyond saying: Whatever prompted you to post that on a vegetarian mince thread? Why not just ignore the thread if it isn’t your thing?
I don't get it. If you choose to be vegetarian, why do you want meat. It's as pathetic as me taking the piss out of fake mince. Like bacon? Eat bacon!

FWLIW I'm bi-curious. I'll eat anything, at least once. There are some good fake foods . . . But I'd rather see quality and welfare rise to the top. . . . Not processed & fake shit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What about if you don’t want to eat meat but like a bolognese?

I eat tonnes of veg so a change is welcome.
Bolognese is a meat dish. Look elsewhere, don't f*** with history.

thats like saying I like Peter Ward but I'm (trying to be) happy with Neal Maupay

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't get it. If you choose to be vegetarian, why do you want meat. It's as pathetic as me taking the piss out of fake mince. Like bacon? Eat bacon!

FWLIW I'm bi-curious. I'll eat anything, at least once. There are some good fake foods . . . But I'd rather see quality and welfare rise to the top. . . . Not processed & fake shit.
Interesting.

My nephew (a meat eater) stayed with us a month or so ago. He loves processed food. He was given a beyond burger for dinner and a fake sausage patty in his homemade McMuffin. The quality of ‘fake’ processed food (such as sausages and burgers) is so high now that he couldn’t taste the difference, in fact, he still does not know to this day he’d not been fed cow and pig.

These meat substitutes have their place but they obviously can’t replace a leg of lamb or roast pork belly.

The future is meat grown in a petri dishes and I can’t wait. I am convinced that part of the evolution of society is to stop eating other animals. It might take hundreds or thousands of years but it will happen.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I thought Quorn mince tasted pretty good when I had it a few years ago, but my god, it really did a number on my stomach. Had to sprint home whilst clenching to avoid disaster. Haven't touched it since.

Not really relevant I know, but I banished it from my memory and it's all come flooding back. No idea if that's a common thing or if that's just me.

Again, not really relevant as it's not explicitly 'mince-like', but this stuff is really good:

LN_605757_BP_11.jpg

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Lentils ….. is the correct answer…….. You can control the texture of the dish.
Lentils are one of those things Ive always wanted to try more but never got round to it. Im not a vegetarian, I eat chicken and fish but red meat can give me gout so cut that out (mostly) a few years ago. They (lentils) just come across as a bit of a faff. Soak them the night before etc. Easier , tasty options for them?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I quite like Granose. My veggie mate put me onto it a while back and while not as good as the real thing isn't bad at all. Eating veggie mince is better for the environment. I love real meat but have to admit feeling guilty both that the animal has been killed and also that the methods used to produce the meat are harmful for the planet. As @Hugo Rune said, petri grown dish meat is the future, there are already products on sale, I read about some that's available in Oz. As long as I can afford to, I will jump on those products very quickly.

Incidentally there is no need for anyone to be hostile to anyone else for their choice of food. Humans have been eating meat since there were humans and similarly, anyone wanting not to eat meat should be able to without having to justify themselves.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Lentils are one of those things Ive always wanted to try more but never got round to it. Im not a vegetarian, I eat chicken and fish but red meat can give me gout so cut that out (mostly) a few years ago. They (lentils) just come across as a bit of a faff. Soak them the night before etc. Easier , tasty options for them?

Lentils don't need soaking. Cook times vary depending on the type, generally between 20 and 45 mins, even quicker in a pressure cooker. If that's too long you can use a can or jar of precooked ones.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bolognese is one of the few things I missed when I stopped eating meat.

Then I found this
It's my turn to cook tonight and I'm going to give this a whirl.

The recipe I used to use has disappeared from the internet and this looks great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here