Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR audio to be released post-match

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Will this help?

Fans will get the chance to hear VAR discussions in the Premier League for the first time as part of a TV pilot led by Howard Webb, the chief refereeing officer.​
The pilot show from Premier League Productions will air on Monday, May 15, and audio of key decisions from this season will also be shown by Sky Sports in the UK the same day.​
Webb plans to release the officials audio on a more regular basis next season to further help with transparency.​

It will do absolutely NOTHING to bring back proper goal celebrations by fans. Football is close to unique in mass spectator sport in that it is usually quite low scoring, the joy is in the moment of scoring as much, if not more, than in the overall result.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It makes a nice, cheap TV programme but does nothing to help fans in the stadium understand what's going on. Genius.
Maybe we could all wear earpieces for commentary like the cricket

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Bozza says there is a rule about it being “live” and I am sure he is right. I have to ask why though? What is the problem with it being shown on the stadium screens. They are obviously hiding something but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is or why. Maybe it’s fear of the unknown?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday....."

"Stevie, please concentrate on the VAR"

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Convo between ref and VAR super super hub in Stoke Poges

Michael Oliver
Hi VAR, any issues with that goal?

John Brooks
Erm - it's not handball

Ok, but what about that one five minutes ago - is that another phase?

Yes it is - I think?

Ok, was there a push in there?

No - don't think so, not really sure - your call on that one.

Offside? - we didn't flag it here?

Hmm, it looks like it could be

Hurry up we're running out of time, John
I've drawn the line - yes it's offside

It's OFFSIDE Pervis

Back at the VAR super super hub

John, where did you just draw that line for the offside
Here
But what about him.......

Oh FFS - don't say anything maybe no-one will notice.

Will this help?

Fans will get the chance to hear VAR discussions in the Premier League for the first time as part of a TV pilot led by Howard Webb, the chief refereeing officer.​
The pilot show from Premier League Productions will air on Monday, May 15, and audio of key decisions from this season will also be shown by Sky Sports in the UK the same day.​
Webb plans to release the officials audio on a more regular basis next season to further help with transparency.​

Needs to be during the match, just like rugby, otherwise it can be edited!

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
This will only make fans angrier, no? VAR will still make incorrect calls, but now we’ll have the ability to listen to the bumbling morons explaining how they’ve drawn the line on the wrong player.
I see what you are saying, but surely introducing an element of accountability where they know what they are doing will be made public might just make them try a bit harder to get things right? Also I don't think I could have got any angrier after the Spurs shambles.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
It depends. If they release all the audio of all the key decisions taken in all games then it is step forward for transparency. That then begs the question as to why referees do not currently explain their reasoning for key decisions in a game irrespective of VAR. If it is just selective audio releases, then it will be noting more than a VAR marketing campaign.

I may be cynical but I can't imagine VAR releasing, for example, the audio taken of some of the Tottenham decisions or the wrong line drawn in the Palace game.

It has to be all or nothing in my opinion.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Post match gives them time to edit the audio to suit. It should be played in real time in the stadium so everyone knows what is happening.

Eaglesplat

Local legend
Mar 16, 2023
Stozza, Southeazi
While I’m no fan of Rugby, I do believe we miss a trick by not miking up the ref and hearing the ref discussing decisions with off-field officials, as well as forcing players to cut out the outbursts on the pitch. I’d have us showing replays of contentious events on the big screen, rather than forcing the ref to a tiny display at the side of the pitch too.

Everyone in the stadium remains clueless while those watching on TV have far more information on what’s being looked at.

Transparency builds confidence, and even if I disagree with a decision made, I would be able to see/hear how it was arrived at, which would at least give me the ability to know exactly which bit of the decision making process I was disagreeing with.
Agreed. Hearing the decision making process definitely gives Rugby officials more credibility and improves the level of respect they receive from the players & fans. But stoppages in play are part and parcel of Rugby. Arguably if it were to be introduced to the PL, it would further agitate all involved just as VAR has and rob us of the free-flowing football that we want to see! For us chirping the ref is part of the sport, but I feel like it does lead to some whimsical and often vengeful decisions if they've been getting stick the entire game. Equally if a scrum keeps falling over and the ref has made up his mind early on who the responsible party is, its very hard for the penalised team to change that perspective. The 2018 World Cup final immediately springs to mind. At least ours isn't a sport where the officials openly use game management tactics in the name of piety and fairness (I'm looking at the National Hockey League here). If anything, this kind of approach removes that added level of intrigue! I used to love seeing Drogba score horrendously offside goals from a shear place of disbelief that he was able to get away with it. Ultimately, the entertainment value is all that matters.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In the SKY studio this evening pre Leicester Liverpool game…going through VAR decisions ..be nice he did this on a free to air channel to help people who havnt paid out for a sky sub

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
In the SKY studio this evening pre Leicester Liverpool game…going through VAR decisions ..be nice he did this on a free to air channel to help people who havnt paid out for a sky sub
Not missing much to be honest.

The software used to draw the offside lines looks like it’s Microsoft paint. All blurred.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Well this isn't changing my mind: it's still complete shit and needs binning so fans can celebrate properly again etc. Watching this confirms it ain't going away though 😫

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here