Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR audio to be released post-match

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will this help?

Fans will get the chance to hear VAR discussions in the Premier League for the first time as part of a TV pilot led by Howard Webb, the chief refereeing officer.​
The pilot show from Premier League Productions will air on Monday, May 15, and audio of key decisions from this season will also be shown by Sky Sports in the UK the same day.​
Webb plans to release the officials audio on a more regular basis next season to further help with transparency.​

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will this help?

Maybe for the odd decision.

For some we already know what they said:
'Yeah you can rule out that goal as it hit Mac Allister's arm'.
We already know that VAR must have said it hit his arm, but there's no evidence that it did. Hearing them get it wrong helps no one.

'Yeah I think Dunk went down to easily'. It was a 2 handed shirt pull - what more does a player need to do for it to be a penalty?

I guess they didn't even check the Mitoma penalty decision, but I guess it would have been interesting to hear the shit reason for not giving the handball penalty.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This will only make fans angrier, no? VAR will still make incorrect calls, but now we’ll have the ability to listen to the bumbling morons explaining how they’ve drawn the line on the wrong player.
Yep.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This will only make fans angrier, no? VAR will still make incorrect calls, but now we’ll have the ability to listen to the bumbling morons explaining how they’ve drawn the line on the wrong player.
Exactly this. It's not for for purpose...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yes - I think it will help. But... why post match? Why not make a live stream available as is done with other sports?

Unless it is available live, I don't see how it will reduce claims of 'cover ups'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes - I think it will help. But... why post match? Why not make a live stream available as is done with other sports?

Unless it is available live, I don't see how it will reduce claims of 'cover ups'.
The article in that link states that FIFA do not permit it to be played live.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'd like to hear it. I also think it'll sharpen up the thought processes of the VAR staff. We hear a lot more of the reasoning in rugby and American football... it's good.
Well done Webb for trialling it👍👍.
I'm surprised so many of us complain a lot about VAR (quite understandably) and yet we don't want to see a step towards more transparency...????What gives 🤷‍♂️

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Transcript released of Spurs.
Ref "VAR, can you check that goal"
VAR "Hello, who's that? Oh hold on" Whispers in the backround. "Did anyone see that? I've got Strictly on my TV" "no, watching Ant & Dec" "What did the lino say?" "Handball"
VAR to Ref "We uphold the lino, no goal"

Ref "VAR, Dunk said something about his shirt being pulled"
VAR "Heh, this is so funny, I love Ant & Dec" "Wait, sorry ref, we'll check" "What they saying on Sky?" "Sorry, I've not got Sky" "Is his shirt torn" "Not that I can see"
VAR to Ref "No penalty"

Ref "VAR, I missed a foul on Mitoma, can you check it"
VAR "Not you again. Don't you know it's the big finale on Strictly?" "Hold on I'll check" "Anyone got a feed from Spurs"
VAR to Ref "No, no-one saw that as a foul" under breath "because no one here is watching"

VAR "OK guys, there's only 15 minutes to play, let's get down the pub"

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Why only on Sky, not everyone pays for it? BBC/ITV could publish it on their web pages.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I suspect they will be very careful in choosing which ones to release.....i.e. ones that were inarguably correct, and not controversial.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
While I’m no fan of Rugby, I do believe we miss a trick by not miking up the ref and hearing the ref discussing decisions with off-field officials, as well as forcing players to cut out the outbursts on the pitch. I’d have us showing replays of contentious events on the big screen, rather than forcing the ref to a tiny display at the side of the pitch too.

Everyone in the stadium remains clueless while those watching on TV have far more information on what’s being looked at.

Transparency builds confidence, and even if I disagree with a decision made, I would be able to see/hear how it was arrived at, which would at least give me the ability to know exactly which bit of the decision making process I was disagreeing with.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
VAR 1 - Sorry missed that there was a parcel being delivered what happened?

VAR 2 - Footage shows clearly a foul and a penalty

VAR 1 - Have you checked the list of big clubs we are not allowed to give the decision against

VAR 2 - sorry no I didn’t but it’s Spurs and like the European super league plans they have somehow sneaked onto the big clubs list

VAR 1 - ok forget what you have seen just put no penalty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here