Lovely bottle of Shiraz
£20

Lovely job

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not very good at being serious. I deliberately put one the names of one of our waitresses at our local cafe on my girlfriend's card. I might live to regret this !
So your girlfriend will think she’s received a card from the waitress?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure you have. it is just the perception of France being "special", culinary wise, is seriously over-rated....as most 'good food' experts will confirm.
When you say over rated what do you mean exactly? I’m genuinely interested. Is it a perception that restaurants in France are generally a higher standard than other countries?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you say over rated what do you mean exactly? I’m genuinely interested. Is it a perception that restaurants in France are generally a higher standard than other countries?

Is Rick Stein’s TV travels around the French regions, he lamented the remorseless loss of good restaurants and culinary knowledge passed down the generations.

Probably a number of things going on; globalisation (even McDonalds), young people are leaving for the cities, and the change in culture …. towns and villages comprised small factories and artisans, everyone literally had long lunches, that’s passed. We were told when traveling in France last year that post pandemic young people and those with young families had decided to leave hospitality for good.

Michelin starred restaurants in Paris, Lyons and Toulouse would be the exception that proves the rule.

Ironically RS found young British restaurant owners dotted around who were determined to preserve the ancient skills.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is Rick Stein’s TV travels around the French regions, he lamented the remorseless loss of good restaurants and culinary knowledge passed down the generations.

Probably a number of things going on; globalisation (even McDonalds), young people are leaving for the cities, and the change in culture …. towns and villages comprised small factories and artisans, everyone literally had long lunches, that’s passed. We were told when traveling in France last year that post pandemic young people and those with young families had decided to leave hospitality for good.

Michelin starred restaurants in Paris, Lyons and Toulouse would be the exception that proves the rule.

Ironically RS found young British restaurant owners dotted around who were determined to preserve the ancient skills.
Thanks. Interesting but also disappointing. I do feel hospitality across Europe is at a bit if a crossroads at the moment and for a handful of different reasons. France has always had a strong and respected hospitality sector; if they’re struggling it’s worrying.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks. Interesting but also disappointing. I do feel hospitality across Europe is at a bit if a crossroads at the moment and for a handful of different reasons. France has always had a strong and respected hospitality sector; if they’re struggling it’s worrying.

I love French restaurant food, they led the world and possibly still do. I read once that started it with The Revolution, former highly-skilled chefs to the aristocracy opened restaurants for the new middle class.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
"when you say over rated, what do you mean EXACTLY" and " "I'm genuinely interested"

Hmmmm......on the first quote, I thought you had morphed in Zerbidi and ready to demand repeated answers until he has suffocated the subject and thread. With the second , even worse. I thought you were a Mustapha II, wanting to know anything and everything about posters on here. So nosey...lol.

I feel Westander has given a more than reasonable response. I hope it satisfies. If it hasn't, I don't really care. I just don't have the time. Sorry. I'm off to Sheffield in the morning for a whole a day out with one of my sons. I may even have some fish and chips while I'm there. Should I have filled in a poll to tell that..??

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"when you say over rated, what do you mean EXACTLY" and " "I'm genuinely interested"

Hmmmm......on the first quote, I thought you had morphed in Zerbidi and ready to demand repeated answers until he has suffocated the subject and thread. With the second , even worse. I thought you were a Mustapha II, wanting to know anything and everything about posters on here. So nosey...lol.

I feel Westander has given a more than reasonable response. I hope it satisfies. If it hasn't, I don't really care. I just don't have the time. Sorry. I'm off to Sheffield in the morning for a whole a day out with one of my sons. I may even have some fish and chips while I'm there. Should I have filled in a poll to tell that..??
What warranted this snarky and shitty response? Hospitality is an interest of mine, I stated I was genuinely interested in your thoughts and was polite. I was merely making conversation on, what after all, is a chat site.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?

I think the same is happening in Spain. The little village I lived in over there 20 years ago had 3 or 4 really good local restaurants owned and managed through generations of families. When I went back a few years ago, only one of these restaurants was still open and it’d been taken over by an English couple, catering for the expat community. The quality of food and service had dropped, we only went there once.
The Spanish youngsters who’d inherited the businesses had closed or sold up, and moved to the city

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here