Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Upset about the Trains

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last night was poor, in relative terms, compared with other matches. In real terms, it was completely fine - left after the final whistle, train to Lewes and back in Burgess Hill well before 11. 10 mins later than usual maybe due to the train delay, caused by earlier issues up the line. Doesn't materially impact my life in any way.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I am very upset about the train service to the Albion matches against Leeds and Derby.

Too crowded and too large queues especially the Derby match, by far the worst I have known.

This will be the single most likely reason out group from Southwick and Shoreham, might not renew our season tickets.

For night games at Withdean I used to wake up @ 5.45am work in London & trained down after finishing after 5.30pm & didn't miss a thing
Get out of bed earlier

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
As NSCs resident train apologist it is only fair I comment.

RE Last Night - The entire network was tits up due to a person being struck by a train at Balham (they survived but are in a critical condition with both legs broken). Trains and train crew were stuck all over the place, leading to network-wide cancellations. There was also signalling issues (as there has been every single fecking day since the beginning of time it seems) at London Bridge. Most Southern trains are located in the London area on Midweek evenings for commuter services, hence why the stock was out of place and services were cancelled. Regarding the queuing systems, the club need to manage it better with better training to staff. What also doesnt help is the way some people get impatient an push/force others forward.

Midweek trains will never ever be perfect. Southern's main passenger flow and numbers are up in London. Carriage useage is near 100% at peak times and the coaches that arent in use, are probably at a depot having work done to them. Every available coach is used on football services. What I dont get is that this has been the same for the last FOUR years, obviously some people will have work meaning they leave later, fair enough, but you cannot expect to just stroll up and expect to board a train immediately 30 minutes before KO.

So unless you want to build about another 4 8-coach trains (the Southern 377 coaches cost £1 Million EACH by the way), then nothing can change for midweek games. Its different at weekends, hence why 6 coaches is now the minimum, Southern actually bring down extra coaches from South London for that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cattle Truck Trains

I left on 86 mins to get back to Bognor by train.
Straight onto Falmer platform and waited about 15 mins. Then waited at Brighton for the 22.14, changed at Hove where we waited in the cold until 22.50 for a train to Bognor that eventually arrived just before midnight.
It took the fun out of the evening and was very frustrating.

Because of the effort needed for midweek games I won't renew my season ticket and will just go to weekend games. It's a case of going soft as I get older (53).
Hats off to all the hardcore fans who travel long distances and get home in the early hours.

This is the view that is espoused by others. It is the West Coastway trains that are a disincentive. (I tried the buses when they ran, but the trains are usually better, until the last two games.)

I saw the people waiting on Hove station for the Bognor train. The Chichester train was too full to enter.

I feel sorry for ordinary people who arrive for the Chichester train 20 minutes before the train is to leave and they can't get on it and have to wait for over an hour. I thought they got it right against Leeds when they put on a 12 coach train, even thought the stations were too short.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I am very upset about the train service to the Albion matches against Leeds and Derby.

Too crowded and too large queues especially the Derby match, by far the worst I have known.

This will be the single most likely reason out group from Southwick and Shoreham, might not renew our season tickets.

Pathetic - some fans travel vast distances via various means - from Southwick + Shoreham you have a number of viable options

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

RE Last Night - The entire network was tits up due to a person being struck by a train at Balham (they survived but are in a critical condition with both legs broken). Trains and train crew were stuck all over the place, leading to network-wide cancellations. There was also signalling issues (as there has been every single fecking day since the beginning of time it seems) at London Bridge. Most Southern trains are located in the London area on Midweek evenings for commuter services, hence why the stock was out of place and services were cancelled. Regarding the queuing systems, the club need to manage it better with better training to staff. What also doesnt help is the way some people get impatient an push/force others forward.

Midweek trains will never ever be perfect. Southern's main passenger flow and numbers are up in London. Carriage useage is near 100% at peak times and the coaches that arent in use, are probably at a depot having work done to them. Every available coach is used on football services. What I dont get is that this has been the same for the last FOUR years, obviously some people will have work meaning they leave later, fair enough, but you cannot expect to just stroll up and expect to board a train immediately 30 minutes before KO.

So unless you want to build about another 4 8-coach trains (the Southern 377 coaches cost £1 Million EACH by the way), then nothing can change for midweek games. Its different at weekends, hence why 6 coaches is now the minimum, Southern actually bring down extra coaches from South London for that.

He's complaining about getting there before the game. He's only got to get to Falmer from Shoreham. Many fans travel much longer distances than that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Empty trains in sidings

I can't say I have an answer. It was just that everybody was keen to renew their season tickets at the end of the match, but my the time we got on the West Coastway train tempers were getting frayed and fans changed their minds.

I can't say I mind the Brighton and Falmer trains and vice-versa. Well not until the last two evening games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only problem last night was the 6.02 from West Worthing was held up going into Hove station where we should have had a 4 minute wait for the connection to Brighton but as we pulled in the connection pulled out.
Coukd they not have held it up to allow passengers to join it. The lady on the platform said it often happens when the train from Brighton to Hove to meet the connecting train from Victoria to Littlehampton often pulls in as tge Littlehampton train is pulling out. With technology and communication as it is they know exactly where a train is so why can they not delay one for 2 mins so the connection can be made.

Hawk the Seagull can you comment or give some explanation for that. We finished up rather than wait 25 mins going to the pub and jumping on a no 7 bus and was at Brighton station before the next train was due to leave Hove at 1855.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Those complaining about the evening trains should count themselves kind of lucky, there are no trains after the game to get me back home to Kent so I have a 90 minute drive each way to get to the game, I usually get home just before midnight.

el punal

Nothing to do with the football then?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The major problem with this thread is everyone in a position to do something about it (politicians and fat cats or should I say controllers) a) doesn't read NSC b) doesn't care.

Still, another 320,000 net migrants in the UK this time next year should ease congestion!

If I were the OP, I would just reflect on the frustration being once every 4-6 weeks with a nice break in the middle of the year. Imagine doing it EVERY DAY?! Those people are AMAZINGLY resilient and hardy types. I belive they go by the name 'commuters'?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Nothing to do with the football then?

This idiot is just sulking because his 1 man campaign to get the stadium in Shoreham didn't work. He starts numerous threads complaining about completely unsubstantiated circumstances. I've called him out on it but he always ignores it. Please don't pay him anymore attention.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Those complaining about the evening trains should count themselves kind of lucky, there are no trains after the game to get me back home to Kent so I have a 90 minute drive each way to get to the game, I usually get home just before midnight.

Ow FFS! You want decent public transport AFTER 10pm? In the year 2015? Are you INSANE? You're off your bleedin canister mate :)

el punal

This idiot is just sulking because his 1 man campaign to get the stadium in Shoreham didn't work. He starts numerous threads complaining about completely unsubstantiated circumstances. I've called him out on it but he always ignores it. Please don't pay him anymore attention.

Thanks for that. I was trying to think of a really acidic, sarcastic riposte but I'm a bit tired having been to last night's game. I had to drive from/to Southampton, ninety minutes each way, and used the Mithras House park and ride. Anyway, I got home just after midnight, knackered but elated. The point is there are loads of Albion fans who do similar or longer trips to watch our beloved team.

Then . . . we have this OP moaning about getting to Falmer from Southwick (and back) a stone's throw in comparison to some of us. It beggars belief - perhaps he should hire a stretch limo, plenty of room for him and his baggage.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think this is more to do with the fact that everybody arranges their travels to suit them best and if by train with the use of the timetables and if for whatever reason these are not adheered to it causes irritation. This is tgd same for drivers to and from places like Southampton who get unexpected delays, it is a natural reaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here