Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Update: Sad News - Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church has dropped off his perch

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Woah there! I'm not defending their opinions! I'm just saying that it's a consistent Christina opinion isn't it. The Bible is the word of God and quite clearly homosexuality is punishable by death and an eternity in hell according to the big man up there!

Sorry which exact verse is that?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In which EXACT verses does it say God hates Gays and will put them to death? If you're going to make a HUGE statement like that, you've got to back it up with some proper knowledge, as you could imagine it's quite offensive to just tell other people what they believe.

Perhaps not from "i wrote it in myself"ipedia as well.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, do you realise how many Christians are actually "Creationists"? i.e. those that believe every single word of the Bible is EXACT and to be taken 100% literally.

First world war? Second world war?

It is arguable that the causes of the first world war were untimately rooted in religion due to the nature of the area and the that of both the assasins and the assisinated. But imo that is to stretch a point to blame religion for everything.

Religion has more than enough to answer for and more than enough blood on it's disgusting hands without also directly lumping the fww and the sww on to it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is a lot more to the story than the documentaries have had time to cover. Surprised the estranged son who campaigns against their message didn't get mentioned last night. There is also a case going through the American courts at the moment, regarding their right to free speech.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
In which EXACT verses does it say God hates Gays and will put them to death? If you're going to make a HUGE statement like that, you've got to back it up with some proper knowledge, as you could imagine it's quite offensive to just tell other people what they believe.

Perhaps not from "i wrote it in myself"ipedia as well.

They had some verses on that page. Or were they made up on '"i wrote it in myself"ipedia' as you call it. Seriously if there are any inaccuracies in the quotes from the Bible let me know and I'll change them.

I'm not telling you what you believe BTW, I'm saying that some people, in fact many people, who are Christians believe the Bible to be the word of God and the Bible is pretty unequivocal about gays.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Also, do you realise how many Christians are actually "Creationists"? i.e. those that believe every single word of the Bible is EXACT and to be taken 100% literally.

Some creationist poll results from the US - Poll shows belief in evolution, creationism - USATODAY.com / Poll: Creationism Trumps Evolution - CBS News / Poll: 4 in 10 Americans Believe in Creationism, Christian News, The Christian Post

There seems like quite a lot that believe in creationism (40%?). That some Christians pick and choose what to believe in the Bible seems less credible to me than the likes of the WBC who at least treat it all the same and add their own brand of peculiar madness.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They had some verses on that page. Or were they made up on '"i wrote it in myself"ipedia' as you call it. Seriously if there are any inaccuracies in the quotes from the Bible let me know and I'll change them.

I'm not telling you what you believe BTW, I'm saying that some people, in fact many people, who are Christians believe the Bible to be the word of God and the Bible is pretty unequivocal about gays.

Is it unequivocal though? it's all a load of double translated scripture where one minute gays are to be put to death, next minute they too can inherit the kingdom of God etc. One word translated from the Greek means one think, translated from Latin means another.

I would say the only thing unequivocal about the bible, is that there is nothing unequivocal in the bible!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
There seems like quite a lot that believe in creationism (40%?). That some Christians pick and choose what to believe in the Bible seems less credible to me than the likes of the WBC who at least treat it all the same and add their own brand of peculiar madness.

So you believe that many people who believe in God as they don't believe Science can answer everything about the world and our existence, whilst having faith in some form of afterlife, are less credible than people who insist that the entire world are wrong, sinning, damned to hell, godless beings except for their tiny number of people who alone hold the key to paradise? Not to mention the fact that they choose a deliberately antagonistic form of 'preaching' which is designed to upset as many people as possible.

Hmm...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That some Christians pick and choose what to believe in the Bible seems less credible to me than the likes of the WBC who at least treat it all the same and add their own brand of peculiar madness.

less credible than the WBC? how on earth are you making these conclusions, based on 2 Louis Theroux documentaries?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
So you believe that many people who believe in God as they don't believe Science can answer everything about the world and our existence, whilst having faith in some form of afterlife, are less credible than people who insist that the entire world are wrong, sinning, damned to hell, godless beings except for their tiny number of people who alone hold the key to paradise? Not to mention the fact that they choose a deliberately antagonistic form of 'preaching' which is designed to upset as many people as possible.

Hmm...

Of course I'm going to be accused of all sorts of (horrible) things here, but yes I do think that those that believe wholesale in the Bible have more consistency in their religion than those that select to pick and choose what they believe in.

'Our' God of the Old Testament IS a vengeful and jealous God and he wipes out mankind with a flood because he sees them as corrupt. Saying then that a tsunami has been sent by God is repugnant to me, but consistent at least to the word of the Bible.

That said, please don't for one second say that I condone or even understand these unbelievably awful people or that I am attacking those that have moderate Christian beliefs - I'm not. I'm only saying that I can understand the all or nothing approach to Christian belief more than I can someone who doesn't believe in creationism, but does believe in the resurrection say.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of course I'm going to be accused of all sorts of (horrible) things here, but yes I do think that those that believe wholesale in the Bible have more consistency in their religion than those that select to pick and choose what they believe in.

'Our' God of the Old Testament IS a vengeful and jealous God and he wipes out mankind with a flood because he sees them as corrupt. Saying then that a tsunami has been sent by God is repugnant to me, but consistent at least to the word of the Bible.

That said, please don't for one second say that I condone or even understand these unbelievably awful people or that I am attacking those that have moderate Christian beliefs - I'm not. I'm only saying that I can understand the all or nothing approach to Christian belief more than I can someone who doesn't believe in creationism, but does believe in the resurrection say.

So what you saying is that at least religious fundamentalist/extremists are consistent ?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
No, I'm not. Plenty of people believe everything in the Bible and are not fundamentalists/extremists. Ditto the Koran and all the other religious texts.

I AM saying that a complete belief in a holy book is more understandable to me than the picking and choosing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
For some reason on a Friday night every religious looney in New York descends on the subway at Grand Central. The encouraging thing is that most commuters completely ignore them and the signs saying you’re all going to burn in hell and the world will end on May 21st – there will be more than a few embarrassed folks around on May 22nd. I accept that under the First Amendment they have the right to free speech but I just wish they would piss off somewhere else as they tend to be a distraction to some very good jazz and blues bands which congregate there as well.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There is a lot more to the story than the documentaries have had time to cover. Surprised the estranged son who campaigns against their message didn't get mentioned last night. There is also a case going through the American courts at the moment, regarding their right to free speech.

The Supreme Court recently upheld the right of Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here