Update: Sad News - Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church has dropped off his perch

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I felt sorry for the girl who had been thrown out of the church, seemingly, for wearing a bikini while on holiday !

They said that she was going to the " Hottest Part of Hell " for what she had done:

So the hottest part of hell is where all the girls in bikinis are? Would make sense anyway I suppose - doesn't sound so bad either.

The nutjobs' line of claiming tsunami victims had brought it on themselves with their sinning was quite a difficult sell.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The nutjobs' line of claiming tsunami victims had brought it on themselves with their sinning was quite a difficult sell.

Mmm, that was a doozy. "Righteous retribution" was the theory I think.
I'd like that woman to cradle the drowned corpse of a toddler from that tsunami, and then try to justify her thought processes and theories to herself when actually faced with the cold reality of an innocent dead child.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mmm, that was a doozy. "Righteous retribution" was the theory I think.
I'd like that woman to cradle the drowned corpse of a toddler from that tsunami, and then try to justify her thought processes and theories to herself when actually faced with the cold reality of an innocent dead child.

Worrying, I think that most of them COULD justify that death.

This is the price we must pay for a free society but, at least we have the right to say " You are wrong "

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worrying, I think that most of them COULD justify that death.

This is the price we must pay for a free society but, at least we have the right to say " You are wrong "

True. We also have the right to say "you are completely and utterly looney tunes" as well.

So some posters are using this loony family for their rants, while you happily outline that Oklahoma was intentionally allowed to happen, and then make the sweeping generalisation that the ideas of the Westboro mob are no less or more nutty than 'most' muslims in developing countries?

You were aiming at irony I hope?

I haven't "happily" outlined anything. Perhaps it was disingenuous of me to say the FBI/ATF allowed Oklahoma to happen and I apologise for using that word but I think it was preventable. Anyway, that's an argument for another time.

Are the beliefs of Westboro Baptists similar to less enlightened muslims? I'd say so. They have a belief that perceived sins are directly responsible for tragedies, they have an almost medieval attitude towards women, towards homosexuality and towards attacks on their faiths. The fact that a lot of these beliefs are part of the law of the land in these muslim countries and seem to have popular support from the general public. Note that I did say "developing" muslim countries. Heresy and identifying heretics seems to be a big part of their beliefs and very importantly the belief that secularism is ungodly and therefore a sin.

The fact is that most muslims live in countries where religion and state are effectively one and the same, I won't insult your intelligence with masses of cut and pastes but a lot of liberal muslim scholars believe the muslim world badly needs a true classical renaissance in ideas and attitudes before they can shake off the fundamentalists and they become as irrelevant to the muslim world as Westboro is to the Christian world.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I just watched it, and I have to say I think they are insane. Really insane, actually properly crazy. They are worse than they were before. Obama the Antichrist? Living in a pink cave? Moving to Jerusalem? What is wrong with these people?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
One thought that I had last night was that they actually seemed to be a lot more consistent that a lot of Christians. I mean, God does hate fags, right? It's right there in the Bible, no?

And as fonicators and drunkards we shall not be going to heaven, no? Again, it's right there in the Bible - the very word of God.

There I've said it the WBC have a point.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Really, really mental. It was clear they were contradicting themselves, especially with the whole "relationship with the Dutch film crew" thing...It was just unbelievable how ignorant these people were

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
One thought that I had last night was that they actually seemed to be a lot more consistent that a lot of Christians. I mean, God does hate fags, right? It's right there in the Bible, no?

And as fonicators and drunkards we shall not be going to heaven, no? Again, it's right there in the Bible - the very word of God.

There I've said it the WBC have a point.

What happened to every single one of us being made "in the image of God" then? If he "hates" all the gays so much and he's sending all the rest to hell he must have a pretty shit image.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
What happened to every single one of us being made "in the image of God" then? If he "hates" all the gays so much and he's sending all the rest to hell he must have a pretty shit image.

Woah there! I'm not defending their opinions! I'm just saying that it's a consistent Christina opinion isn't it. The Bible is the word of God and quite clearly homosexuality is punishable by death and an eternity in hell according to the big man up there!

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
They are not doing anything different to any other religious group in the world which is selectively quoting parts of the bible to suit their own needs.

That's why the Bible and all religion is a croc of shit, and the root cause of all wars.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The BBC should fund the family move to Jerusalem and film a fly on the wall documentary I would give them a week before they were all 'chosen' for death by the all powerful god

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports