Unreadable Heritage Stones

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Disappointed in position and legibility. Cert 0505. Should be on a wall so they can be seen. Add me to the list.

To be fair though, as long as it is sorted by next season, I'm sure our club have higher priority things to do - such as sorting out why "Earth Rod" has hyjacked all the premium heritage stone locations.

BlythMeister

Aug 30, 2010
Lewes
I don't gave a stone. but wanted to have a look before the donny game. I was shocked to see 2 delivery vans parked and unloading on the stones!!! Shameful in my opinion! they need to be on a wall, not on the floor!

slightly off topic, does anyone know what's happening to the centenery wall, as this was apparently being moved to the amex.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Tried using Parkers for patio stones because they are Friends of The Albion. Expected a warm welcome, but seemed to resent serving an Albion fan. Went elsewhere. Guess the Heritage Stones are just business for them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought the whole point in the stones was to pay £100 toward the stadium, not the stones themselves? It's like giving to a charity and expecting a gift in return. Surely it'll cost the club money to make them better, thus defeating the object.

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Bought one with my dad's name on it. He died before seeing the stadium completed. Very disappointed indeed. My mother has been asking me to take a photograph of it so that she can see where it is, but I am sure she would be a little upset if she saw how they have turned out.
Please add my complaint to the list please.

Vega

Jul 23, 2011
Brighton
I thought the whole point in the stones was to pay £100 toward the stadium, not the stones themselves? It's like giving to a charity and expecting a gift in return. Surely it'll cost the club money to make them better, thus defeating the object.

I agree that was the main aim, however when I buy a Poppy I don't walk on it ! Heritage means preserving, those stone won't last five years if under foot.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Hi again!

Well, here is the current list of those forum members who have either offered comments of support or are purchasers of one (or more) Heritage Stones.

If you fall in the latter category and you have not yet added your cert. no., please do so as soon as possible. Further comments and additional stone purchasers who wish to add their names to the list are warmly encouraged to do so.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Username Certificate No.

ALBION 28
bathseagull
Billy Seagull 0952
birthofanorange 1580 & 1490
BlytheMeister
bobby smith 0254
bobzam
bomber130 1744
brightonseagulls1
bristolseagull
byf
chimneys 0924 & 1046
clapham_gull
Dawn Korus 1638
DIFFBROOK 1018
Ditchboy 0939
Ernest
ewe2
generationx
Giraffe
graham moseleys gloves
hastings
herecomesaregular 1610
Hillian 1
HoveHorace
Jameson
Johnny Fever
kingcole
Kneon Light
Lindfield by the Pond 0505
Lord Bracknell
magoo
Mo Gosfield
newhaven gull
nomoremithras4me 1399
october76 1027
pork pie
PWA
rexwedge 1684
rocker959
saltdeanseagull1 0271
scarby 1122 & 1123
scooter1
Seagulls over Essex 0497
seagull stu 0294, 0295 & 0296
southasp 0048 & 0049
Surport Local Team
sweetmods
Thunder Bolt 0202
Titanic
Toongull 1620
Twinkle Toes
Vega 0036

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Your thoughts are therefore somewhat different to mine and a lot of others then!

By the time you factor in the cost of producing the stones, Parkers cut, laying them and all the admin hassle that goes with them, I doubt there was much "donation" element to them. I have also just checked the club's PR on them and cant see any specific mention/spin of "charitable" donation. There would have been much more efficient ways of getting donations if that were the aim.

They were sold as being our chance to be a part of the stadium for the lifetime of the stadium. Many people have bought them as memorial stones for deceased. As others have pointed out, they dont look as though they will last until the end of the first season!

So I wholly disagree with your attitude of dont moan about it in this instance!!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Your thoughts are therefore somewhat different to mine and a lot of others then!

By the time you factor in the cost of producing the stones, Parkers cut, laying them and all the admin hassle that goes with them, I doubt there was much "donation" element to them. I have also just checked the club's PR on them and cant see any specific mention/spin of "charitable" donation. There would have been much more efficient ways of getting donations if that were the aim.

They were sold as being our chance to be a part of the stadium for the lifetime of the stadium. Many people have bought them as memorial stones for deceased. As others have pointed out, they dont look as though they will last until the end of the first season!

So I wholly disagree with your attitude of dont moan about it in this instance!!

Well put!

In my opinion, it would not not cost the club a single penny. The onus is fully upon Parkers to rectify this, then they can justifiably call themselves Friends of the Albion.

However, I am surprised that the club appeared to have not overseen the work in progress - it clearly was going to be of an unacceptable standard as soon as the first few stones were laid.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I sent the following note to the club after I saw the stones;

'Some years ago my wife invested over £xxx in the Alive and Kicking fund in return for having a seat with my name on it. Last year this was changed to a heritage stone, which was already available to others for c£100. Whilst I understood the change from a seat I did register at the time my view that perhaps a reduction on a Private Seat Licence may have been a more sensible option and in keeping with the 'seat' premise especially given the wide availability of stones and the likelihood that I would have bought one anyway.

The letter from yourselves advising the change, contained a statement that stones related to Alive and Kicking donors would be located in a different area from the others (I don't have the letter to hand but I think it alluded to wall mounted) which I assumed was some way of providing the recognition of the show of faith the seat purchase option was.

However having now seen the stones this doesn't seem to have been the case. In fact the stone quality and lettering itself leaves much to be desired when compared with those at other grounds such the Cardiff.

I don't want this to sound like a whinge, after all the Alive and Kicking donation was not done by many to specifically get a seat, although I can think that many would have had these bought for them with a view of a permanent reminder - but I am disappointed. This was such an easy thing to get right especially given that it isn't unique and has been done well elsewhere; the constant amendments to the proposal and now failure to deliver on what was advised (I wouldn't have asked for them to be laid separately but having stated you would, I cant udnerstand why you havn't) leave me with a very flat feeling. Perhaps with the club's more stable financial footing there isn't the perceived need to deliver on promises like this. It may be a small item in the grand scheme of things but I felt you should know how this particular supporter feels.'

I didn't receive a response. Having spoken to someone who was involved in the laying of stones, he told me they received no advice on location or the separate area for Alive and Kicking stones. So is that Parkers or the club who were amiss?

Anyway - add me to the sad group of upset people who will doubtless be labelled as whingers by Andy Naylor, some on here and maybe even people at the club.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Many thanks for your eloquent input - consider yourself added!

As for being 'labelled', I for one hardly ever bother reading them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I just happened upon them as I walked over them. I don't like walking over them, many of them are tributes to people that have died, so I now find myself walking around them out of respect. Very poor foresight, just glad I made a decision to wait before I inquired about buying one. I haven't wasted my money!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Wiil do, SweBHAFC and yes, please put up your cert.no. if you can.

@ LondonBlue: For a moment I thought you wrote 'poor eyesight', but that's how it seems when you attempt to read them. 'Poor foresight' is equally appropriate.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Add me to the list please, cert 1021.

I think the stones look very poor indeed and will never 'last a lifetime' as a readable message, which was the promise.

Never been able to find mine yet at the ground as they are soooo unreadable but according to the grid I have just checked it has a spelling mistake as well! So I will try again to check it out next daytime game.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Will do, LadySeagull and thank you. Good luck with your search and as to the spelling mistake, you are certainly not alone although I have been told that some have been put right fairly quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports