Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I hope we sort it soon and don't drag this out for weeks like we often do

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase who will turn on you as soon as you don't win every game.
And even if you do win everything, they'll still turn on you, eventually.

I don't think thats very fair. I think most fans would of shown their displeasure a lot sooner than 1 wi
N in 17 ( yes 1 win in 17 )

Feb 14, 2010
I don't think thats very fair. I think most fans would of shown their displeasure a lot sooner than 1 wi

Yes but the rule for some on NSC is to judge Brighton by the standards that few other clubs can match and then call the fans plastic after 29000 turn up for a Championship relegation scrap in November.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm not a fan of Mark McAdam ever since he hailed Ian Harte's "Stunning" free kick for Reading at the Amex, and only later mentioned that it might have taken "a hint of a deflection" (as it completely changed direction and sailed over whoever was in goal).

However: you can say what you like about our current predicament. But the fact is, that out of work managers- and some who are in work- will be falling over themselves to apply for the vacant Albion position. People who aren't working want jobs. People who are working want better jobs. The infrastructure here, whatever some people think about the personnel, is second to none at Championship level, and a great deal better than half of the Premier League.

We all have our feelings about the current set up. Those who might be candidates for the job don't watch the Albion every week and won't be exposed to the sort of "Burke out, Barber out" sentiments that prevail on here at times. They'll just deal in facts, and possibly a few insider tips, which you can be sure won't be based on the wild assumptions that a fair few NSC posters are prone to entertaining.

Whether the candidates who put themselves forward are of the calibre that Tony Bloom would entertain, is another debate entirely. But don't anybody for a second think that this job isn't attractive to the footballing community, because it very much is. Any manager who backs himself, and frankly you'd have to, would believe he could get us to safety, given the players and set-up.

Edna always talks so much sense. I find myself at a slight disadvantage at the moment on account of inbibing too much Ribera del Duero but I sense that, as ever, what Edna is saying is correct. Am I in thrall to Edna?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Let's say, more accurately, that the club have had three managers since November 2009.

By the way, who are the better managers?

We could all tow the company line. Assume nothing wrong. But hey, things are starting to stink.
Poyet left, and got slated for it, but it seems vindicated. Oscar left for no apparent reason. Now, despite appearing to have the full backing of the board Hyppia has gone. You think he just left because he got a few boos and we'd not won many games? Or do you think, actually, it just wasn't worth the fight?
When three managers, in one year, leave because they don't have the fight, questions need to be asked. And questions will be asked. By people like Pulis, who would coast us to safety, but who has just left a job because of conflict with the board. If people honestly think the likes of Sherwood are a reassuring sign this is an appealing job they're utterly mental.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Any manager who backs himself, and frankly you'd have to, would believe he could get us to safety, given the players and set-up.

True. But the better managers will want assurances they have more control that, it appears, our current set-up suggests.
I honestly think the most important decision we could make now is getting rid of Burke- he has utterly failed in is role.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Quick question in all this pontification about what will / won't attract a new manager. Why does everyone keep pointing to the fact that a prospective new manager won't like not having total control of which players are brought? Isn't this the norm now? Most big clubs have a DOF style role. I thought denying the benefits of this role was limited to dinosaurs like Harry Redknapp.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Quick question in all this pontification about what will / won't attract a new manager. Why does everyone keep pointing to the fact that a prospective new manager won't like not having total control of which players are brought? Isn't this the norm now? Most big clubs have a DOF style role. I thought denying the benefits of this role was limited to dinosaurs like Harry Redknapp.

If the DOF (or whatever) has even a semblance of talent at identifying decent players. Burke does not. He just does not have any kind of track record at this club of buying anything worth having.

True. But the better managers will want assurances they have more control that, it appears, our current set-up suggests.
I honestly think the most important decision we could make now is getting rid of Burke- he has utterly failed in is role.

What like getting our academy to Category 1 status this season?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not a fan of Mark McAdam ever since he hailed Ian Harte's "Stunning" free kick for Reading at the Amex, and only later mentioned that it might have taken "a hint of a deflection" (as it completely changed direction and sailed over whoever was in goal).

However: you can say what you like about our current predicament. But the fact is, that out of work managers- and some who are in work- will be falling over themselves to apply for the vacant Albion position. People who aren't working want jobs. People who are working want better jobs. The infrastructure here, whatever some people think about the personnel, is second to none at Championship level, and a great deal better than half of the Premier League.

We all have our feelings about the current set up. Those who might be candidates for the job don't watch the Albion every week and won't be exposed to the sort of "Burke out, Barber out" sentiments that prevail on here at times. They'll just deal in facts, and possibly a few insider tips, which you can be sure won't be based on the wild assumptions that a fair few NSC posters are prone to entertaining.

Whether the candidates who put themselves forward are of the calibre that Tony Bloom would entertain, is another debate entirely. But don't anybody for a second think that this job isn't attractive to the footballing community, because it very much is. Any manager who backs himself, and frankly you'd have to, would believe he could get us to safety, given the players and set-up.

Welcome back, Edna. You've either had a very long holiday, or act with the utmost decorum when things are going badly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How about the displeasure shown to play off reaching Oscar Garcia?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
What like getting our academy to Category 1 status this season?

Yup, great!

One day our academy might produce someone worth more than a packet of crisps. Excellent.

Nothing changes the fact that our last three managers have NOT WANTED TO BE HERE.

Incidentally, how many academies produce decent players on a regular basis? Getting good players comes from being successful. Being successful is largely down to having good managers. Managers who want to stay around.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Welcome back, Edna. You've either had a very long holiday, or act with the utmost decorum when things are going badly.

I have been on holiday, as it goes, but I like to think the decorum is always present :lolol:

Anyone who thinks this job won't be popular knows little of the football market. Granted, some of the applications will be from the delusional (lower league/non league journeymen who rate themselves). Some will be from genuinely talented lower standard managers or newly retired players who just need someone to take a chance on them. Some will be the recently and long term unemployed (hello Nigel), also including the Alan Curbishley sorts. You might get an ex Albion player or two throwing their hat in, and someone you wouldn't expect (a higher level player seeking his first job). There will be a foreign applicant or two, and Scott McCarthy, alongside a couple of nerds who are good on Championship Manager, and an eight year old who's been made to apply by his Dad so he can get his face in the local paper.

But that still equals a a very decent number of applicants. No matter how unattractive some people might (wrongly) imagine the job to be.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Poyet threw his weight around and I think he expected supporters to side with him against Bloom. At that time I think it is fair to say that we were collectively on the side of the chairman.

Fast forward another season and Garcia also resigned. I suspect that we were a little more cautious then and starting to ask questions about the set up at the club.

Now we have had another resignation. The NSC polls suggest we are mainly pretty happy about that but I also think it is fair to say that Bloom, despite his £200 million investment, is no longer untouchable. Opening the academy is a statement of intent and clearly the best way of nurturing talent in the longer term but we are not unreasonable in insisting that it isn't at the expense of the team of the pitch now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here