Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unbelievable Job - Very Big Club with Massive fanbase who will turn on you as soon as you don't win every game.
And even if you do win everything, they'll still turn on you, eventually.

This only happens at Brighton, all other clubs are supportive of their managers even if they only win one game in 19. Albion fans should be ashamed of themselves for wanting a serial loser out. I am surprised that anybody wants the worst job in football.

May 18, 2013
A great job if you can put up with SERIOUS meddling behind the scenes and no control whatsoever over player recruitment.

We've had three managers resign in just over a year. THREE. The better managers are going to look at that very suspiciously.

I think you'll find the last manager resigned because he couldn't win enough games.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is a very attractive job for so many out of work managers. The squad is full of internationals/former internationals with talent and it is just a question of harnessing it. I do not buy all this 'suit' criticism. A manager here will be on £500k a year at least I am sure and if he does reasonably well should be able to argue his case for players etc. as would be the case in any club. Poyet wanted to leave to further his career when he achieved all he could reasonably be expected to do here. Garcia was effective and Sammi less so.

What we do need now though is an experienced Championship manager to steady the ship. Houghton seems ideal to me.

Stumpy Tim

This only happens at Brighton, all other clubs are supportive of their managers even if they only win one game in 19. Albion fans should be ashamed of themselves for wanting a serial loser out. I am surprised that anybody wants the worst job in football.

Exactly. Look at the rubbish Blackburn and Newcastle fans have dished out in recent seasons - Albion fans have been fully supportive compared to them (and many other clubs)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost all managers get turned on and sacked, eventually. It goes with the job.

Of course you are both right.

Just a little bit of devil's advocate to remind us we're not as brilliant as we'd like to think we are.
Also this isn't coming from any holier than thou standpoint, I wanted 2 of the last 3 managers out, as well.
Which I guess is pretty much par for the course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course you are both right.

Just a little bit of devil's advocate to remind us we're not as brilliant as we'd like to think we are.
Also this isn't coming from any holier than thou standpoint, I wanted 2 of the last 3 managers out, as well.
Which I guess is pretty much par for the course.

We're not even a little bit brilliant at the moment :down:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
My intial reaction to the reporter outside the Amex was that the club had written his report for him or he was reading a club press release.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Very big club?
A few years in the top tier over 30 years ago doesn't warrant that title.
That is embarrassing.
BHA has spent almost all of ts existence in the second tier and below.
Have we got delusions of grandeur or what?

20k ST holders 14th in England & 3,000 Corporate ST in the top 10.... We are massive which is why it was a disgrace to put a L Plater in charge last time

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Very big club?
A few years in the top tier over 30 years ago doesn't warrant that title.
That is embarrassing.
BHA has spent almost all of ts existence in the second tier and below.
Have we got delusions of grandeur or what?

He said big, not successful. Although, "big" is pushing it some what.

Feb 14, 2010
We're not a big club though are we really. Large amount of season ticket holders and attendences but that is about as far as it goes. Very much a new fan base & proper following, and seen by other fans as a team with a sense of entitlement because of a new ground.

Who told you that Some of us are old enough remember the club being the 10th best supported club in the 70s as well, before the 80s decline and the 90s Archer. BHA in terms of fans base is a top 10 club despite the jokers on the pitch we have had to put up with season after season, and decade after decade. I challenge you to list the clubs who would get 29000 for a relegation championship club and then look at that list. Then ask yourself, when will we get a team that matches the support?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not sure where this new fan base rubbish comes from as most were around im sure...Yes you get some jump on the bandwagon,but we've always been a club with big potential anyway.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Who told you that Some of us are old enough remember the club being the 10th best supported club in the 70s as well, before the 80s decline and the 90s Archer. BHA in terms of fans base is a top 10 club despite the jokers on the pitch we have had to put up with season after season, and decade after decade. I challenge you to list the clubs who would get 29000 for a relegation championship club and then look at that list. Then ask yourself, when will we get a team that matches the support?

:lolol: Happy Christmas WCP. Keep up the great work

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a fan of Mark McAdam ever since he hailed Ian Harte's "Stunning" free kick for Reading at the Amex, and only later mentioned that it might have taken "a hint of a deflection" (as it completely changed direction and sailed over whoever was in goal).

However: you can say what you like about our current predicament. But the fact is, that out of work managers- and some who are in work- will be falling over themselves to apply for the vacant Albion position. People who aren't working want jobs. People who are working want better jobs. The infrastructure here, whatever some people think about the personnel, is second to none at Championship level, and a great deal better than half of the Premier League.

We all have our feelings about the current set up. Those who might be candidates for the job don't watch the Albion every week and won't be exposed to the sort of "Burke out, Barber out" sentiments that prevail on here at times. They'll just deal in facts, and possibly a few insider tips, which you can be sure won't be based on the wild assumptions that a fair few NSC posters are prone to entertaining.

Whether the candidates who put themselves forward are of the calibre that Tony Bloom would entertain, is another debate entirely. But don't anybody for a second think that this job isn't attractive to the footballing community, because it very much is. Any manager who backs himself, and frankly you'd have to, would believe he could get us to safety, given the players and set-up.

el punal

A great job if you can put up with SERIOUS meddling behind the scenes and no control whatsoever over player recruitment.

We've had three managers resign in just over a year. THREE. The better managers are going to look at that very suspiciously.
Let's say, more accurately, that the club have had three managers since November 2009.

By the way, who are the better managers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here