Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Unai Emery new Aston Villa manager

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Surrounded by Villa fans here. My local butcher said to me last week I wish you lot would stop winning but good to see us up there with them. Going to be a great last game could be a lot riding on it and im watching with a Villa neighbour. What could possibly go wrong :facepalm:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Surrounded by Villa fans here. My local butcher said to me last week I wish you lot would stop winning but good to see us up there with them. Going to be a great last game could be a lot riding on it and im watching with a Villa neighbour. What could possibly go wrong :facepalm:
They are all crawling out of the woodwork now. Notoriously fickle and arrogant.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
People say this about all fans, of every club!
Any club that sings that song about being the greatest football team the world has ever seen gets a head start. They also have a banner at the ground that says something like ‘There is only one Villa - the greatest name in football in every sense.’ There are plenty of examples for a club that hasn’t done anything for 40+ years and not that much since WW1 but lives off a history from the 19th and early 20th centuries (admittedly broken by a couple of good years when Ron Saunders was manager!).

My grandfather was a Villa fan and I remember him telling me about the greatness of that club in the 1970s when they were in the friggin third division!!

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
They are all crawling out of the woodwork now. Notoriously fickle and arrogant.
Sorry to be clear I live 30 minutes from Birmingham.

They are very well supported here obviously and after last seasons game I spent the train journey home with a decent bunch of them. But we had just lost 2-0 ....

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
How do their revenues compare ?
They earn around £15m a year more than us in matchday revenue, so if you extrapolate that they probably bring in 75% more than we do.

Outgoings will be considerably higher though.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Sorry to be clear I live 30 minutes from Birmingham.

They are very well supported here obviously and after last seasons game I spent the train journey home with a decent bunch of them. But we had just lost 2-0 ....
From the supporters I know in that area, generally Villa do get a lot of their support from outside the city. Historically I believe it’s correct to say that Aston didn’t even become part of Birmingham until around 50 years after the club was formed so it never was a Birmingham club as such from its origins, although obviously the city has long since expanded way beyond those original boundaries.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I was looking at this yesterday as I was thinking "their run has been extraordinary".

When we beat Southampton on Boxing Day we were on 24 points from 15 games, which is 1.6 points per game.
Villa were six points behind us on 18 points, but they'd played a game more, so 1.125 points per game.

Since then we've picked up 25 points from 14 games, 1.785 points per game, but Villa have accrued 36 points from 17 games, which is an impressive 2.11 points per game.

Overall, we're still averaging more points per game over the season as a whole (1.689 v 1.636) but, as we know, the games we have to face are going to prove challenging to maintain that.
Thanks for the calculations...really interesting to see that 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here