Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP & the anti-fascist lot

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
More tax cuts for the wealthy leading to lower tax revenues (unless they further increase regressive taxation on working people) and more cuts despite their claims to want to spend more on education, health and the Armed Forces.

A flat rate of tax will raise tax revenues if no loopholes exist for the wealthy to evade paying it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
yet again you show your complete and utter ignorance of the city and how it works , you originally stated he was a stockbroker , now you're telling me hes a trader , which is it ? Do you even know the difference ? somehow I doubt it.

Farage's dad was a stock broker. He was a commodity broker in The City for an American brokerage and then a French Merchant Bank (very cosmopolitan if you ask me).

If that's really all you can pull out of Pete In Black's post then you reinforced my initial thought that it was spot on.

No - I stated he was a commodity broker correcting the earlier post of which I approved. See above *Points at quote*

I also gave you gave you a high level difference IN THE POST YOU QUOTED. A more detailed analysis would bore everyone silly but would it be enough to state that one trades stocks and shares on a stock market and the other while being called commodity trader to appear simple will never see those commodities because they're actually betting on commodity prices through futures, hedges and derivatives. In other words exactly the sort of behaviour that brought the City to it's knees.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wasn't Attila The Stockbroker an office worker in a London stockbroking firm before he became famous ?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
A flat rate of tax will raise tax revenues if no loopholes exist for the wealthy to evade paying it.

Why not close the loopholes then?

Or do we reward people who are tax-dodgers with a cut in their taxes?

By the same token, some people fiddle social security because they can't make ends meet, so we should increase the rate of benefits to reduce welfare fraud!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
from what I can work out it is just a load of arrogant, egotistical money grabbing twats playing games with other peoples money. I am not convinced that any of it contributes anything to world. Very few city types that i have met have been worth talking to, the ones who have saw through the sharade and got themselves a proper job.

Couldn't we just do without it?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Again...I didnt 'label' anything.
Dr Alan Sked labelled it.

Keep frothing.

You really are talking complete and utter garbage. No matter how many people point outit you still continue to quote as fact the words of someone who has been on the outside of the party for 15 years and now vehemently opposes it. You are an archetypal bigot.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No - I stated he was a commodity broker correcting the earlier post of which I approved. See above *Points at quote*

I also gave you gave you a high level difference IN THE POST YOU QUOTED. A more detailed analysis would bore everyone silly but would it be enough to state that one trades stocks and shares on a stock market and the other while being called commodity trader to appear simple will never see those commodities because they're actually betting on commodity prices through futures, hedges and derivatives. In other words exactly the sort of behaviour that brought the City to it's knees.

You literally haven't got a fvcking clue, are you trying to tell me that a stockbroker TRADES stocks in the market ? If so you'd be wrong , as for your commodity trader analogy , it's quite simply laughable , do you really think commodity traders brought the city to its knees ? Do you not realise that companies as diverse as hovis to shell need to hedge their exposure using derivatives ? I won't say futures because they are a derivative, but you'd know that if you had any any knowledge beyond wikipedia and hastily googled FT articles,I won't even start on physical as opposed to futures commodities trading, give up mate, you REALLY don't know what you're talking about.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why not close the loopholes then?

Or do we reward people who are tax-dodgers with a cut in their taxes?

By the same token, some people fiddle social security because they can't make ends meet, so we should increase the rate of benefits to reduce welfare fraud!

Why should people with higher incomes pay a higher percentage ? Do people who earn more pay more for goods and services ? Smacks of jealousy to me.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Why should people with higher incomes pay a higher percentage ? Do people who earn more pay more for goods and services ? Smacks of jealousy to me.

Ah, yes, the old 'politics of envy' line that the greedy Right and rich apologists revert too because they can't defend or justify the excessive salaries and bonuses of those at the top.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Well according to Bill Gates on the TV the other night they do for medicines at least. Wealthy countries pay more for pharmaceuticals than poor countries which is a massive problem for the poor people in rich countries because they still have to pay the premium prices. Where are rich people in poor countries pay the same lower costs.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Because they can afford to. Then EVERYONE gets better services. Fair? Maybe not, but then life isn't, is it?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ah, yes, the old 'politics of envy' line that the greedy Right and rich apologists revert too because they can't defend or justify the excessive salaries and bonuses of those at the top.

OK - ignore the envy part of my post and provide a constructive argument as to why people who are paid more should pay a higher percentage of their salary in tax ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Because they can afford to. Then EVERYONE gets better services. Fair? Maybe not, but then life isn't, is it?

Hmmmm .... OK season ticket prices should be based on what you earn - less the £20k then it's £100, between £20k and £50k then it's £400 and anyone earning over £50k it's £800.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
OK - ignore the envy part of my post and provide a constructive argument as to why people who are paid more should pay a higher percentage of their salary in tax ?

Because they can and part of our roles as humans and community members is to do what we can for other people less fortunate than our selves.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
from what I can work out it is just a load of arrogant, egotistical money grabbing twats playing games with other peoples money. I am not convinced that any of it contributes anything to world. Very few city types that i have met have been worth talking to, the ones who have saw through the sharade and got themselves a proper job.

Couldn't we just do without it?
Basically , the sort of totally and utterly ignorant generalisation that would immediately pounced upon by the likes of you if it was posted by me , how many traders or brokers have you really met ? I certainly don't buy this "saw through the charade Bollox" what you really mean are the ones that got sacked , as for your silly statement about none of it contributing anything to the world, how do you think your pension fund works ? Do you think it's just stuck away in a bank until you need it ? Or how about companies that need to raise capital to expand , the list is endless, I'm not claiming the city is populated by lots of nice people, it isn't, but to claim it's not necessary is to display a childlike ignorance of how an economy works.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Because they can and part of our roles as humans and community members is to do what we can for other people less fortunate than our selves.

People who earn more pay more anyway - why should they pay a higher percentage ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Basically , the sort of totally and utterly ignorant generalisation that would immediately pounced upon by the likes of you if it was posted by me , how many traders or brokers have you really met ? I certainly don't buy this "saw through the charade Bollox" what you really mean are the ones that got sacked , as for your silly statement about none of it contributing anything to the world, how do you think your pension fund works ? Do you think it's just stuck away in a bank until you need it ? Or how about companies that need to raise capital to expand , the list is endless, I'm not claiming the city is populated by lots of nice people, it isn't, but to claim it's not necessary is to display a childlike ignorance of how an economy works.

I didn't claim it is not necessary I merely asked the question.

I can imagine (in my childlike ignorance) an economy that doesn't need arrogant city boys playing the markets for personal gain and draining the world economies (and my pension funds) of their cash. I don't claim to be an economist but to have our finance system at the mercy of greedy, egotistical twats is folly in my opinion, an opinion which is born out by the current financial problems the world is experiencing.

So my description of traders is incorrect? I won't claim to have met that many but many of the ones I have met were horrible horrible people (with a few exceptions of course who also lead me to the descriptions I have posted here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here