Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP candidate suspended

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I don't vote UKIP, and oppose much of their policies, but it is important to put this situation in context.

They will have this problem for a while yet. They are a young party who have grown quickly, with little candidate history and a lot of seats to challenge.

Therefore, when people apply to stand the due diligence checks cannot be based on knowledge of character as much as the more established parties can base there's. So this is bound to happen. The Greens have a similar problem in some ways, although it manifests itself slightly differently, but the outcome is the same- some people who perhaps shouldn't stand for office do.

The most annoying theme on these threads is the loaded rhetoric. UKIP have a lot of racists and phobes of all sorts, yes, but I maintain that the majority of their voters are people who are concerned about the future in the same way as everyone else. They are probably good at heart like most other folk too.

I like to challenge the views of some of their supporters, but it is much better done through reasoned dialogue and respect rather than mindless confrontation. What is the mud slinging on this thread going to solve ? Nothing.

Good sensible post

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't think UKIP will break up. All the time there is this issue around the EU, we need a party that is going to reflect the views of people who want out of the EU. I understand Farage is the big ticket, but I think UKIP will and can survive without him.

Im not so sure mate. I can see another group forming, whilst trying not to make the same 'selection mistakes' .. will be interesting.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I find it amazing that some people view Ukip as an anti-establishment party sticking up for the people. What is this view based on?

It is based on three things. Firstly, the incessant media attacks on the party, from the left leaning Mirror group to the Daily Torygraph and Daily Mail, SKY and the BBC,*, secondly the repositioning of what was mainly an anti-EU pressure group of disaffected Tories into a growing populist movement and thirdly the voting intentions of the people themselves, former supporters of all three main parties and none.

* While UKIP enjoys the support of one paper The Daily Express. For the record I personally find the support of someone like Richard Desmond unpalatable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I mean those gullible enough to be manipulated by establishment propaganda and tactics, subsequently parroting their distortions, smears and outright lies in true Orwellian 1984 style, without recourse to valid research into the truth.
Interesting. I personally just don't like a lot of their policies.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here