Votes: 103 40.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quarter Final Three
===

I'm very intrigued by this one, and unsure which way it'll go.

Yep, this is a tough one. Both great.

Only Fools & Horses - 1981-2003, 64 episodes

A comedy institution for many. Overrated and dated for others.

It's definitely dated, but that's to be expected for that style of sitcom from that era. That doesn't lessen how good it was.

I really like the Fast Show, but Only Fools spawned my username, and that alone should be enough (for some of you to vote fast show)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would be abit like Fulham v Middlebrough in this year's league cup final, tbh.

Utter deary shite, settled by a dodgy pen for Basil.
You think that gangly legged fuckwit would score it?

(note I do like Faulty and Cleese)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ha ha ha. Look - the man FALLS OVER. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Geee-nius.
That.

OFAH was so crap initially that it nearly didn't get a second series and by the end it was just spun out with a load of crap specials. Then as has been said, Buster Merryfield and the one who played Cassandra were both crap actors.

The middle series were amusing in fairness but really, it's nowhere near the genius of Fast Show. Seems we're in a minority here though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am holding out a bit of hope for The Fast Show because there are less than 30 votes in it, and 4 days to go.

Just thinking of more absolutely rib-tickling OFAH gold. Apart from the chandelier moment, is there anything else? I wonder if anyone will post Del and Rodney HILARIOUSLY running down the street as Batman and Robin?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ha ha ha. Look - the man FALLS OVER. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Geee-nius.
Brilliantly parodied by The Simpsons with Homer laughing at the man getting hit by a football. "Football in the groin! Football in the groin!" (What did I say earlier about it being one step up from Mrs Brown's Boys? Perhaps I was being generous ... :) )

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
I am holding out a bit of hope for The Fast Show because there are less than 30 votes in it, and 4 days to go.

Just thinking of more absolutely rib-tickling OFAH gold. Apart from the chandelier moment, is there anything else? I wonder if anyone will post Del and Rodney HILARIOUSLY running down the street as Batman and Robin?
Who's Rachel?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I see it as a sort-of slightly better version of Mrs Brown's Boys.
Go Away GIF

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Yep, this is a tough one. Both great.

It's definitely dated, but that's to be expected for that style of sitcom from that era. That doesn't lessen how good it was.

I really like the Fast Show, but Only Fools is probably better. And it spawned my username, and that alone should be enough (for some of you to vote fast show)
64 episodes speak for themselves

Any comedy show to have this longevity must have been pretty good

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fast show.

Of course.
Is the right answer.

I remember the young fool (of OFAH), Rodney was it (?) in Butterflies. Nice middle class lad in an elegant wistful sit com. Then....he's putting on an absurd accent and pattern of faux working class speech in OFAH. What? That was enough to have me reaching for the off button. It harked back, in my mind, to one of the worst 3 ever tv sit coms, 'The Dustbin Men' which was moronically offensive and offensively moronic.

In contrast the Fast Show is heaven, genius and pure joy.

I'll accept that the 'falling through the bar' scene is funny, and the batman and Robin scene is iconic, but......

I suspect the outcome of this poll will reflect social class and politics. To test this, how many middle class 'lefties' went for OFAH, and how many working class Tories went for the Fast Show? Prove me wrong, kidz.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If there's any justice The Fast Show should walk this. It's a work of genius IMHO. Literally dozens of deftly-sketched characters, each with their own fully-defined, er, character, and memorable catchphrase that you knew was coming but never stopped being funny anyway. Compare and contrast with much-loved trad comedy sitcom OFAH. Two different planets really
Precisely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here