• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Round of 16 - Match SEVEN
===

Battle of the Shows. I hope for one result, but fear another...

The Fast Show - 1994-2014, 27 episodes

1701342268938.png

Very popular sketch show produced primarily in the 90s. Birthed a whole load of catchphrases. Strong comedy cast including Paul Whitehouse, Caroline Aherne, Mark Williams, John Thomson and Charlie Higson. Every time I clear my throat, I at very least think "That's got it..." to myself.

Did well to top a tough Group G, has this emerged as a dark horse for the tournament?

===
VS
===

Peep Show - 2003-2015, 54 episodes

1701355343786.png

The strength of this show really lies in the dialogue and the performance - Jez and Mark are such well-created characters, and we all know people who are a bit of a Mark, or a bit of a Jez. A great show with a number of classic episodes.

No shame in coming 2nd in it's group to The Office, Peep Show is a fantastic 21st century comedy. But does it have enough CATCHPHRASES?

VOTE NOW!​
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match ONE - Fawlty Towers vs The Royle Family
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match TWO - Father Ted vs The Detectorists
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match THREE - The Inbetweeners vs Only Fools & Horses
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FOUR - Blackadder vs Porridge
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FIVE - Not The Nine O'Clock News vs Red Dwarf
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match SIX - I'm Alan Partridge vs The Thick Of It

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a tough one. I know I should vote for Peep Show but I've gt a lot of love for the Fast Show.

I loved it when it came out. Everyone watched it and you'd go to football training the next day or into school ready to quote the catchphrases at any opportunity. It was just instant silly fun.

Then you have peep show which is such a well written, acted and thought out comedy.

Oh, what a choice to have to make!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not watched a lot of either but I have enjoyed what I've seen of the Peep Show.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fast show was great, but the whole concept was to rehash exactly the same jokes over and over again.

Peep show was significantly better.
This is sort of where I am, yet I feel a vote against Fast Show would be a betrayal given its incredible contribution to popular culture.

Anyway the "Show" derby is going to go the wire in my view. A tricky call because they are so different.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is a tough one. I know I should vote for Peep Show but I've gt a lot of love for the Fast Show.

I loved it when it came out. Everyone watched it and you'd go to football training the next day or into school ready to quote the catchphrases at any opportunity. It was just instant silly fun.

Then you have peep show which is such a well written, acted and thought out comedy.

Oh, what a choice to have to make!
This!

To be honest, I am going to need several cups of tea to consider where to put my vote. It's end to end stuff just as you'd expect from a derby, and this "Show" derby is no different. :vuvu:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Me looking at the initial results

Peep Show Fate GIF

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seeing the early indications from the exit polls, I think The Fast Show will win fairly comfortably.

It's just too popular.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
These two alongside Partridge make up my personal favourite three.

Hard to choose, but edged towards Peep Show on the basis of Super Hans.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Fast show was great, but the whole concept was to rehash exactly the same jokes over and over again.

Peep show was significantly better.
I'm watching The Fast Show at the moment, and while I get what you mean (I wouldn't watch more than one episode in one sitting), there is actually a fair amount of development of the sketches over the course of a series. It's not like Little Britain, which I very much remember being a case of seen one episode, seen them all.
In addition to which, some of the most famous characters (I'm thinking Swiss Tony in particular) aren't in the first series at all.

I like Peep Show, and find it funny, but I find it's so cringy I can't really watch it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Toughest one yet for me. I loved them both. But Fast Show pips it for me. Great memories of that era of my life.

Peep Show is superior but well, Fast Show..BRILLIANT!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This one is surprising me. I think Peep Show is the best British comedy to have been made on the past three decades and i thought it would be challenging for the title.

Maybe you have to be family friendly to win out in a contest like this - you can show Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, OFAH to your nan and your kids and they'd all like it. Father Ted is as edgy as comedy gets for this mainstream. Peep Show, like Inbetweeners, has a demographic.

In my eyes its perfect, and no surprise the writer went on to more success with Succession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here