I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Round of 16 - Match ONE
===

Flowery Twats
- 1975-1979, 12 episodes

1700261544656.png

An absolute colossus of a show. John Cleese heads up one of the most tightly written sitcoms of all time. Needs no further introduction.

===
VS
===

The Royle Family -
1998-2012, 25 episodes

1700263054836.png

An incredibly warm, earthy sitcom with tonnes of pathos. A brave decision at the time to write a sitcom basically about 4-6 very normal people sitting around doing nothing of an evening, but the tight dialogue and strong performances carried it through - in turn, TRF gave birth to the now reality TV juggernaut Gogglebox.

Made it through the group with relative comfort, but I suspect this might be the end of the line for the Royles.

This Match will run for 7 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match ONE - Fawlty Towers vs The Royle Family
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match TWO - Father Ted vs The Detectorists
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match THREE - The Inbetweeners vs Only Fools & Horses
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FOUR - Blackadder vs Porridge
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FIVE - Not The Nine O'Clock News vs Red Dwarf
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match SIX - I'm Alan Partridge vs The Thick Of It

Last edited:

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up

Round of 16 - Match ONE
===

The Royle Family -
1998-2012, 25 episodes

1700263054836.png

An incredibly warm, earthy sitcom with tonnes of pathos. A brave decision at the time to write a sitcom basically about 4-6 very normal people sitting around doing nothing of an evening, but the tight dialogue and strong performances carried it through - in turn, TRF gave birth to the now reality TV juggernaut Gogglebox.

Made it through the group with relative comfort, but I suspect this might be the end of the line for the Royles.

===
VS
===

Fawlty Towers
- 1975-1979, 12 episodes

1700261544656.png

An absolute colossus of a show. John Cleese heads up one of the most tightly written sitcoms of all time. Needs no further introduction.

Each Group will run for 7 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​
Not the most balanced intro😳

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not the most balanced intro😳
I thought I was pretty darn complimentary of both?! For reference, I voted for The Royle Family, but I'm not going to pretend Fawlty Towers isn't seen the way I've described it.

Equally, if the BBC was previewing Brazil vs Sweden, it wouldn't pretend both are equal standard teams :smile:

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Forty Titties is looking to possibly rest Manuel & Basil for the second half at this rate...

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across..."

You can see the sea, it’s over there between the land and the sky

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Have you ever seen my wife make toast?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are so many series in the original list I haven’t watched or got.
The I.T. Crowd has been recommended a couple of times to me but I couldn’t get on board.
I still think Count Arthur Strong is one of the top shows of all time but so few people have even heard of it that I speak to. Maybe it’s because it’s from a radio 4 background. I’m watching it for a 3rd or 4th time atm on Prime.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Tough one!

On the one hand royal family was fantastic but they probably did 2/3 or too many specials that tainted it a touch.

On the other hand fawlty did the perfect amount of episodes but Cleese is a complete piece of work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tough one!

On the one hand royal family was fantastic but they probably did 2/3 or too many specials that tainted it a touch.

On the other hand fawlty did the perfect amount of episodes but Cleese is a complete piece of work.
The writing standards really did drop towards the end with those specials, don't know if the writing team changed?

The original 3 series in 98-00 was absolutely superb.

The specials (apart from 2006 - Nana's farewell episode - which was decent and had a genuine emotional punch) in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 slowly got worse, to the point where it was almost unrecognisable as the same show towards the end.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The writing standards really did drop towards the end with those specials, don't know if the writing team changed?

The original 3 series in 98-00 was absolutely superb.

The specials (apart from 2006 - Nana's farewell episode - which was decent and had a genuine emotional punch) in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 slowly got worse, to the point where it was almost unrecognisable as the same show towards the end.
Should’ve stopped the death one yes.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
NSC demographics will skew the pitch on this one. I was born in '78, so wasn't even alive when most of it was aired and in my opinion, it hasn't aged well at all.
Not for me, Clive, but it'll probably win the cup.

1702310851055.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here