I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Round of 16 - Match THREE
===

The Inbetweeners
- 2008-2010, 18 episodes

1700479609846.png
Just squeaked ahead of Porridge to top Group C. I'm really intrigued by this match up, as I don't really have a dog in the fight, not being a massive fan of either comedy. I have a feeling this might be a close one.

===
VS
===

Only Fools & Horses
- 1981-2003, 64 episodes

1700481963211.png

Could we see an old comedy institution fall to a young pretender here? Finished 2nd in Group D, some way behind Captain Slack Bladder and his chums. Is there life in the old dogs yet, or has Peckham's Golden Generation been and gone?

This match will run for 7 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match ONE - Fawlty Towers vs The Royle Family
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match TWO - Father Ted vs The Detectorists
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match THREE - The Inbetweeners vs Only Fools & Horses
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FOUR - Blackadder vs Porridge
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match FIVE - Not The Nine O'Clock News vs Red Dwarf
UK Comedy Cup 2023 - R16 Match SIX - I'm Alan Partridge vs The Thick Of It

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We might have a humdinger on our hands here. Seen the lead change hands a number of times already.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A little short on quality but in terms of competitiveness, I feel this could be the tie of the round. A bit like a 4-4 draw between Newcastle and Spurs.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
OFAH if only for the chandelier scene.
I think part of OFAH's problem is that all of those big scenes like the chandelier, falling through the bar, Batman and Robin, have been shown so many times both on repeats and crap "best comedy moments" programmes that for a lot of people they've lost any sort of impact they ever had.
I'm still fond of the exchange where Delboy walks into the Nags Head to speak to Rodney after having a fight with Rodney's girlfriend's ex.
"What happened to you?"
"It's alright, I walked into a door"
"And it did all that?"
"It was a revolving door"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think part of OFAH's problem is that all of those big scenes like the chandelier, falling through the bar, Batman and Robin, have been shown so many times both on repeats and crap "best comedy moments" programmes that for a lot of people they've lost any sort of impact they ever had.
I'm still fond of the exchange where Delboy walks into the Nags Head to speak to Rodney after having a fight with Rodney's girlfriend's ex.
"What happened to you?"
"It's alright, I walked into a door"
"And it did all that?"
"It was a revolving door"
Exactly this. Del Boy falling over was funny the first couple of times I saw it. For some reason it's considered the funniest moment in the history of comedy and I just don't really understand why.

I have voted Inbetweeners here. The characters are just so brilliantly well observed. We can all see bits of ourselves in at least one of them. Some classic moments too. It just hit at the right time for me, not too long after I finished uni.

I fully expect OFAH to win this round though. I certainly won't begrudge it, as there are some great episodes even outside the ones which have been shown to death.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I won't mind which one goes through here.

My preference would be inbetweeners, but it would be a travesty for OFAH to not go through to the next round.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'll have to go for OFAH on the basis (and it's an injury time penalty) because of the scene in "To Hull and Back" when Del Boy sings "Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen" on the front of the boat.

Maybe be a bit obscure, but it's my favourite moment and favourite episode.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Tough call but Only Fools wins for me though I did think of the Burnley lads on holiday (from Inbetweeners) Saturday!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:bounce:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I went for inbetweeners but only just OFAH was a big part of my childhood but inbetweeners was just perfect. The characters are brilliant and as someone else commented we all recognise the issues. I am only a few years older than them all so it was quite fresh reminding me of school. My son is now 15 and I see him approaching all the same stuff and his mates each have little bits of the characters. I love the awkwardness, the way they speak to each other and how they get across how it can be hard work being a youth. I have watched it all with my lad and now I am older I recognise some of the bell end parent behaviour in me. It is just brilliant.

That said, I loved OFAH as a kid of the 80s/90s.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I won't mind which one goes through here.

My preference would be inbetweeners, but it would be a travesty for OFAH to not go through to the next round.
That's 'big six' thinking, ie it would be a travesty if Liverpool/Citeh/Arsenal/Manure/Chelski/Spuds didn't play in Europe so we willingly sacrifice our place to accommodate them!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here