UK suffers from "Plastic Paddy syndrome"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Eggmundo said:
why the hell would anyone actually want to be Irish?

The ability to vote in everything if you live here.

Erm.

Erm....

Actually, assuming you've got a UK passport, thats about all the advantages you can get living here. Beyond that....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My mum came from Ireland but I can say with a degree of certainty that not all of her family were originally from there, her mothers side of the family hailed from Glasgow. As for my grandad, he spun a yarn about being descended from the Viking settlers who lived in Dublin, think he may have been confused by his surname "Orr" and thought that his fore-fathers rowed narrow boats or something. His story was however substantiated by a Norwegian friend of mine who told me that his surname also exists in Norway.

At the moment I am blissfully happy being British but will take up the option of an Irish passport if identity cards become a reality.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Gully said:
My mum came from Ireland but I can say with a degree of certainty that not all of her family were originally from there, her mothers side of the family hailed from Glasgow. As for my grandad, he spun a yarn about being descended from the Viking settlers who lived in Dublin, think he may have been confused by his surname "Orr" and thought that his fore-fathers rowed narrow boats or something. His story was however substantiated by a Norwegian friend of mine who told me that his surname also exists in Norway.

At the moment I am blissfully happy being British but will take up the option of an Irish passport if identity cards become a reality.

Normans (Frenchified Vikings) also settled in Ireland, just to let you know, most people there with Fitz in there surname are often descended from the Normans. As a Irish mate told me.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We don't have Fitz in our family names, most of the names are Scottish in origin, although there is Marshall which I believe was originally French.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I had a French Great-Great Grandfather and some Scotish and Irish somewhere along the way but don't consider myself anything but English.

Don't get me started on the Irish-Americans. They make the Eire football squad look genuine!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have always considered myself British, but also Anglo-Irish at the same time, I think it is important to remember your roots (but not in the same way as the 8th generation American-Irish do).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
e77 said:
I had a French Great-Great Grandfather and some Scotish and Irish somewhere along the way but don't consider myself anything but English.

Don't get me started on the Irish-Americans. They make the Eire football squad look genuine!

Erm, what about our football squad? England have some far more "fake" Englishmen these days. Nearly every non-Irish born player on the team is among the older ones.

And despite now sounding like it, Robbie Keane is -not- from Croydon :p

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Gully said:
I have always considered myself British, but also Anglo-Irish at the same time, I think it is important to remember your roots (but not in the same way as the 8th generation American-Irish do).

agree there, its fine IMO, to be proud of your parent or grandparents country. But going 200 years for a relative from a certain country is a bit too far much like my JE ancestor, I am just English.

MYOB said:
By some insane margin too. Passport Office is one of the most profitable semi-state agencies, only the gas company makes more profit-per-employee.
Brendan Behan used to tell a story about when he was accused in New York of being "FBI".

Not being keen on the police, he took exception to this. Only to discover it meant "Foreign Born Irish".

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports