UK suffers from "Plastic Paddy syndrome"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK SUFFERS FROM `PLASTIC PADDY SYNDROME'

By Sarah Stack, PA

A third of people living across the United Kingdom suffer from ``plastic paddy syndrome''.

Irish is the number one wannabe nationality, with new evidence revealing many claim Irish connections - including having Irish ancestors ``somewhere``, ``knowing someone Irish``, and simply ``wanting to be Irish``.

In the independent survey commissioned by Rankin Selection Irish Breads, nearly half of all English, Scottish and Welsh people questioned said they would prefer to be Irish, after their own nationality.

Welsh emerged as the least popular with only 13% choosing it, while English was just in front with 14%. Scottish came second with a modest 29%.

A mutual love between the Irish and Scottish was also revealed with 58% of Scottish people choosing to be Irish and 72% of Irish people opting to be Scottish.

Biggest fans of Ireland were the younger generation, with 52% of 16-24 year-olds nominating Irish as their preferred nationality, compared to 36% of 55+ year olds.

The survey which was conducted across Great Britain and Ireland, also revealed that 80% of respondents put St Patrick's Day ahead of their own patriotic days, as part of what the survey commissioners branded ``plastic paddy syndrome''.

In England just 13% nominated St George's Day as most important, while St Andrew's and St David's Days got 5% and only 3% respectively.

end
141840 MAR 06

:D

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No desire to be scottish, english, welsh or anything I'm not; passport features a harp and PLACE OF BIRTH: BAILE ÁTHA CLIATH / DUBLIN...
Company (rankin) trades off the back of diddly-eye stereotypes so... I wouldn't trust the survey much. Owners are both from the UK, at that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
While the blessed St.Guinness bestows upon us bountiful tee-shirts, silly hats and beer vouchers then it would be rude not to put Plastic Paddy's Day above one's own patriotic day. Bejesus! :drink:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
My Nationality is British and I was born in Brighton.

My family are however, Irish and I lived there between the ages of 7 and 11.

I do feel Irish to a degree and will always celebrate St Patricks Day (I've still got my green nose somewhere) and support Irish teams in various sports.

Oh and I drink Guinness and Jameson's.

If that makes me a plastic paddy then so be it.

:drink:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am Sussex through and through for several generations with no Celtic or Gaelic blood in me.
I would love to be able to celebrate St George's day without being thought xenophobic or anthing to do with the right wing.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Yorkie said:
I am Sussex through and through for several generations with no Celtic or Gaelic blood in me.
I would love to be able to celebrate St George's day without being thought xenophobic or anthing to do with the right wing.

Amen to that Yorks :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
While the blessed St.Guinness bestows upon us bountiful tee-shirts, silly hats and beer vouchers then it would be rude not to put Plastic Paddy's Day above one's own patriotic day. Bejesus! :drink:

I needn't buy you a drink on 30th November then Tom?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
I needn't buy you a drink on 30th November then Tom?

Um, 30th November is a Thursday, Yorkie, we don't have a game, unless it's an LDV game and I'm boycotting that poxy thing completely anyways - so could you by any chance send me a cheque payable for the amount of aforesaid drink? :drink:

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
When I was a kid I asked my father if I had any Irish ancestry. "Yes but don't tell anybody" was his reply.

Funny how attitudes change

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
Um, 30th November is a Thursday, Yorkie, we don't have a game, unless it's an LDV game and I'm boycotting that poxy thing completely anyways - so could you by any chance send me a cheque payable for the amount of aforesaid drink? :drink:

Post dated chq ok?
:drink: :drink:

:note above smiley does not indicate organic cider:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
if you research your family trees back a few hundred years you'll most likely find that you too have ancestors from ireland, as i do.

plus scotland, gloucestershire, hampshire, london, norfolk, bristol, northampton, market harborough, leicester, germany etc etc.

which is another way of saying that the vast majority of people are a bit of everything, or else inbreds.

a simple test is to count your fingers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports