Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fact me til I fart.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always remember The Young Ones as being pitifully devoid of anything comedic at the time. It was about on a par with The Goodies. You'd need a full frontal lobotomy to find either even vaguely funny. IMHO like

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I GET that the Young Ones must have been hilarious to the OLDIES when you'd had a day of pushing hoops along the streets with a STICK for enjoyment followed by a SPAM dinner in your house worth £14k but COME ON.

I can just about take the IT Crowd not progressing but The Day Today going out is terrible.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Im gonna get hated for this but ex-national treasure Rik Mayall did lots of comedy that was incredible at the time but dated really quickly and it quite rubbish years later. Young ones was a must watch when I was a kid and we all quoted it in the playground etc. now it is dire, Bottom - nob jokes and poor, The new statesman was so on point but I couldnt finish the box set. Drop dead Fred - shite.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
How is The Day Today not WALKING this???

I mean The Fast Show and the IT crowd are OK. Easy watching but nothing special.

The Young Ones is 'of it's time' eg. original at the time, but on rewatching...very obviously a bit sh*t.

Weird people.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This group is still open enough…

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
How is The Day Today not WALKING this???

I mean The Fast Show and the IT crowd are OK. Easy watching but nothing special.

The Young Ones is 'of it's time' eg. original at the time, but on rewatching...very obviously a bit sh*t.

Weird people.

Shocking that The Day Today isn't ahead, just for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan it should be strolling it...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last chance to get those votes in. Group stage finishing today and R16 announced soon.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Im gonna get hated for this but ex-national treasure Rik Mayall did lots of comedy that was incredible at the time but dated really quickly and it quite rubbish years later. Young ones was a must watch when I was a kid and we all quoted it in the playground etc. now it is dire, Bottom - nob jokes and poor, The new statesman was so on point but I couldnt finish the box set. Drop dead Fred - shite.
I remember trying to make myself watch Bottom and trying to find it funny as lots of my school mates thought it was hilarious and I didn’t want to be left out. It was painful watching. I just didn’t get it even as a teenager, just pretended I watched it from then on!

The Fast Show on the other hand - cracked me up then and still does today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What happened to Hancocks Half Hour ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm feeling VERY guilty about voting for The Young Ones. The wealth of evidence provided by people in this thread has swayed me towards The Day Today and now I regret not voting for it, frankly. It was always a tough group and my vote really paid no heed to the fact that it is quite dated. My mistake for which I apologise to all fans of TDT.

But it's the stuff of absolutely vintage NSC world cups. You've just got to hope a proper genius comedy DOES win the thing.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What happened to Hancocks Half Hour ?
Ditto Steptoe and Son and Whatever happened to the Likely Lads? (Especially relevant as sadly Brigit Forsyth has just died :() In fact I'm not even sure Monty Python was included. However that has dated badly.

And as I'm obviously in a grizzling mode I'll add I must be the only person in Christendom who thought The Office was 'ok' at best. (EDIT: Although that wasn't in this group! D'oh!)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm feeling VERY guilty about voting for The Young Ones. The wealth of evidence provided by people in this thread has swayed me towards The Day Today and now I regret not voting for it, frankly. It was always a tough group and my vote really paid no heed to the fact that it is quite dated. My mistake for which I apologise to all fans of TDT.

But it's the stuff of absolutely vintage NSC world cups. You've just got to hope a proper genius comedy DOES win the thing.
Well as I couldn't decide, I'll vote for The Day Today for you. :)

EDIT: Bollocks, I can't. The poll closed half an hour ago! Sorry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ditto Steptoe and Son and Whatever happened to the Likely Lads? (Especially relevant as sadly Brigit Forsyth has just died :() In fact I'm not even sure Monty Python was included. However that has dated badly.

And as I'm obviously in a grizzling mode I'll add I must be the only person in Christendom who thought The Office was 'ok' at best.
There are one or two on the appropriate thread saying the same as you about The Office, but not me. I remember it was on BBC2 and used to chuckle the following morning with a colleague, as we were the only two in our office who had ever heard of it. Then it went to BBC1 the following year and became mainstream. I thought it was superbly well observed - definitely a little dated but not so much that you still can't relate to the characters even now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here